Gadgets only to have them without a good use?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Maniak21 • Sep 30, 2014.

1. Maniak21

Maniak21New Member

Threads:
    I'd like to ask you this, because I often find it very confusing and maybe even annoying to think that people do this without a good reason.
    Well, it's about buying/having a gadget without having a good use to it. For example, somebody buys a laptop, a tablet and smartphone. If we analyze the gadgets, we see that the laptop and the tablet are quite similar, you use a tablet when you cannot carry a laptop with you, a tablet is more compact and can basically perform most tasks a laptop could. Now, if we analyze the tablet and smart phone relation, we see that there are great similarities, but why both?
    I know there are many reasons why to have all of them. But now, I am speaking about those people that buy them only to have them. What's the reason? Trends? Well, I guess so. Since many people buy 10 gadgets because each of them is cool, but then they only use the phone and the laptop for example.
    I always go by the logic of not buying something that can do a task that can be performed by another object I have, in this cases gadgets.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If they have the money then they can buy whatever they want, right? But I think the tablet is quite useful if you want to browse the net or read ebooks while you are lying in bed as compared to being forced to sit in front of a laptop. If I have the money then for sure I would buy an Apple iPhone just to be able to have one and compare them among other brands like Sony and Samsung.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that people just want to buy gadgets. They have the money, so they spend it. In my case, I don't have a lot of money to spare, so I just enjoy looking at gadgets. Also, if I do have the money, I think that I won't really buy them because I am not really that interested with them in the first place.

4. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I do have a laptop and a tablet. right now I'm using the tablet while on bed. Maybe if I'm working a project, I might just use a laptop and use softwares like Msword and spreadsheet. these software don't work really work well with tablet. as for people that buy these gadgets without them thinking whenever to use probably just buy them because they can.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use my laptop very often, but the times that I do need it, it's an absolute must - when I am travelling for work. However I do not use it as my main computer because I do a lot of design work and for day to day use, my desktop has a much larger screen and is more comfortable for that purpose.

There are many other gadgets though I've purchased over the years though that I never really needed. I think it really started for me in the late 90's, when I just had to have that top of the line Motorola pager that had news and weather on it, and displayed people's names in text instead of just their phone numbers. Then in the early 2000's I just had to have a Palm Pilot, and then never used the damn thing. Then I could sync it with my cell phone to get online, so I bought the newer model, and then never used that either.

The most recent waste of money was a Lenovo tablet, that again, I never used. I just ended up giving it to my dad.

6. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Let me tell you why some people do this. It's for showing off. Gadgets are used as a status symbol, whether people admit it or not. I find it really crazy that people line up for hours when a new gadget is about to get released. But yeah, whatever.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Each time I hear the word gadget I think at something that's new on the market and costs a lot. And this is why I never buy what one could call 'gadgets' and limit myself to the things I really need, like an older generation smartphone (for example). Even if I had money laying around I still don't think I'd be interested in gadgets, I have plenty of more important things missing from my life right now :)

8. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have a tablet and a laptop. I usually like to have items that are very multi-use and i did consider a hybrid when purchasing my laptop. I spent more money on my computer mainly because I knew that I would be using it on more demanding applications. I game a lot and use software that needs a high GPU. For my own convenience, I brought a tablet to view textbooks and my reading material for school. I understand why people buy so many gadgets, but it is because they can afford these luxuries and I prefer to spend my extra money on luxuries that I can drink and enjoy.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I personally have a huge hate for these kinds of people. I have a friend who really loves to have the latest gadgets every time. He always buys the new iPhone on release, the new console, the new tablet everything.

And then I asked him once what's up with those purchases and he said he just wants to be 'in' all the time when it comes to tech and that it makes him 'stand out of the crowd'. Usually I wouldn't care much for this but this guy barely gets by every month on the rent and he still has the nerve to spend a lot of money on gadgets that he has no clear use for other than bragging.