Tea as a medicine

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Oct 1, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a big fan of teas, I think they can replace a few medicines. For example, if we have a stomach pain we can drink some chamomile tea; if we have a cold we know that lemon tea with honey is a great help. What other teas do you use to boost your health?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I drink green tea because of all the health benefits I have read. Also, I have acne, and I read that green tea helps in managing it. However, when drinking tea, it is important to know that you should not forget to drink water to avoid dehydration.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only drink tea when I'm constipated, lol and I just drink those Lipton tea bags. I actually had no idea that tea can be used as medicine too until I read your post. Anyway, here is an interesting article about the health benefits of tea:

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, that's right and that is an interesting link that you posted there sidney, thanks for sharing. If we do pay attention to the drugs we take, many of them are herbs based, they just synthesize the element to produce it in lab.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Mint tea is good for upset stomach.
    Green tea helps clear up blemishes and does lots of good things for your health.
    Dandelion root tea helps cleans the liver and reduce water retention if you have it.
    Senna is a stimulant laxative--use with caution it can cause cramps

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head at the moment. Traditional Medicinals has many different teas that either relieve symptom or promote general health.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. Teas are great for small ailments, but I wouldn't subscribe to the ones who sell them as good enough to cure major diseases. I myself drink lots of tea whenever I have flu, and although I'm not sure if it really works, as I usually still recover at a regular pace no matter how much tea I drink, it at least helps me feel a bit better which I'm sure accounts for something.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I just use any ol' black tea actually. I don't really like chamomile and I can't tell too many differences between the different types other than taste. I think the heat and soothing benefits are the biggest perks for me.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Green tea will definitely help you calm down at night and is a miracle cure for insomnia. Black tea will give you the energy that you get from coffee, but without the buzz. I think that those who suffer from anxiety could do well to switch from coffee to tea, they may well find that coffee was the cause of their problems all along.

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you find the green tea helps with the acne?
    I've heard this too but I'm confused because you said you both drink green tea AND have acne...

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think tea is very important diet of one's life. I love to drink a variety of food every single day. I love tea, which has lots of herbs in it, and which makes your tea look really great. It is also good for your health as tea is known to make a person look very slim and good. Also, tea can be used as a refreshment for one self.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    The main issue for me about tea is the flavor. If we are used to drink sugared drinks, the taste of teas it's not really appealing, but we can go around this with honey or other healthy sweetener. If we can drink the teas as they are, that is for the best.

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's what I usually do, even though I sometimes cheat and also drop in a small spoon of sugar, I usually put honey on my tea as well as milk, the honey not only makes the tea sweeter, it's very good for you.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, honey is the best, but usually it's so hard to use that I am too lazy to do it. Either cases, lately I've been using honey on my tea more often and it makes it better, I feel that we just have to stop being lazy and do the right thing, even if it's way simpler to open a can of soda.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a tea for every illness, and that includes serious illnesses. I never take allopathic medicines, unless I have an emergency situation, such as a broken limb or a blood clot that would require immediate life saving surgery. I have been studying and using many different western and eastern herbs over the years, and continue learning about alternative medicine. Actually, I often wonder who thought of it as "alternative". To me herbalism and naturopathy are the real medicine, and not some alternative.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't recommend substituting medicines for teas. True, drinking tea has a positive effect on your health but its nutrients, minerals and healing powers are limited. In fact, teas prevent more than they cure, strengthening your immune system and detoxifying your body. They also work slowly compared to medicines. They cannot dull the pain as well as paracetamol. Just drink tea and don't forget to take your medicine as well.

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am also a very big fan of tea, but not all of them. Primarily I am a promoter and a heavy user of green tea. I don't consider it a medicine at all, but rather a part of my regimen to keep myself healthy and shielded from the apparent chemical and biological byproduct hazards. I drink a lot of tea in a day because I of its good effect on me. It makes me feel relaxed and at the same very energetic. It calms my mind without making it nonfunctional or inactive, sedated.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is a good philosophy 003, we don't need to be stuck on names, meaning, we don't have to call tea a medicine or an healthy regimen, as long as we use it and take advantage of it's benefits. I haven't explored green tea too much, but I think it's about time I do it.

18. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't drink tea at all, but I know people swear by them and drink them all the time. I'm sure its therapeutic and can help colds, congestion, upset stomachs but not as medicine by itself. People shouldn't rely on them, but I see it like honey and lemon as a drink to soothe a sore throat, it can help but not cure.

19. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    I use my steeped tea bags as soothing packs for my eyes. It works very well for alleviating sore eyes and itchy eyes. :) Just make sure you let them cool a bit first! :D

Apparently tea has antibacterial properties. Plus, the warmness of it is really soothing. Just squeeze out most of the water so you don't get water in your eyes. :)

My sister also likes to chill the tea bags first before doing this.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I never heard about that until now vennybunny, so after you use the teabags you let them cool down and use them in the eyes to calm them down? I imagine that this only work with a specific kind of tea no? What teas do you use to do this?