Do reviews affect you much?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Strykstar • Oct 1, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    How much attention do you pay to reviews (or previews) and do you find it affects your enjoyment of music, movies or games?

2. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I take reviews with a grain of salt. I know that each game and/or product is so subjective as to whether the individual likes it or not so I try to keep an open mind. I usually read the reviews of products that I really want, so by the time I get to read the review chances are I've wanted it for a long time or is planning to buy it.

I never take the reviews too seriously though, to be honest.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Reviews don't in any way influence what choice I'll make when it comes to deciding whether or not I'll watch a movie. To be honest, I rarely read film reviews. Instead I rely on what other movie-lovers who've watched the movie have to say. Their thoughts are of more value than the opinions of reviewers who [all the time] want to look for only the negative stuff in movies.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Game reviews affect me the most. If there are overwhelming bad reviews on a game, I will avoid that game and keep my money. I only sometimes use movie reviews, but most of the time, I go by whether or not I like what I see in the trailers. Music reviews affect me the least. Music is all about personal taste. I know what kind of music I like and what I don't. I won't let reviews dictate that.

5. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I pay almost no attention to movie previews at all. I generally disagree completely with what the snobs that write reviews feel about most movies. My choices in Movies and Games are not as high brow as the critics and if I can find a movie that keeps me entertained and takes me out of the world for a couple of hours, I'm generally pretty happy with it.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to read reviews all the time but then I realized that the taste of the reviewer plays an important part in the score that an entertainment piece gets. And so it can happen for, say, a movie with bad reviews to be quite good in my opinion. Same goes with trailers. Some are poorly made and put the movie in a bad light instead of properly promoting it. Thus I'm more inclined to watch a movie blindly for a better experience.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like reading reviews before movies, books and music. I do give them attention, but if I like the story or the artist I'll go ahead even with bad reviews. However, if I'm on the fence a bad review can sway me negatively for sure.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really make it a point to read movie reviews, because it will contain spoilers about the program that I want to watch, so I only read them after I have watched the movie. But when it comes to buying new items like games or anything tangible like electronics, then I make it a point to read them with the exception of CD's and movies because I don't want to buy a crappy game or electronic item.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I hear of a new movie that might interest me, I google for reviews. Usually, I just want to get an idea of the narrative and the actors. I will also read some general feedback and see what others think of the film. But it doesn't influence my decision to watch it or not, it's only to get some idea what the general consensus of opinion is.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I think it does actually but I don't really rely on them for my judgement. If a product like a game is doing not so good on the reviews I try to skip them as much as possible because they cost a lot of money. If I were to buy a $60 game only to be disappointed then it's not of my best interest. As for movies, I tend to be a lot loose when it comes to reviews.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely do. Most of the time I just shrug my shoulders and listen to music, watch movies or play games as I please. I don't want other people's opinions or personal experiences to influence my way of thinking or choices. I want to decide for myself first before I go and do what other people are suggesting. Just as spoilers couldn't spoil my fun, reviews hardly have a bearing on my decisions about music, movies and games.

12. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I think it does a bit. But I don't really put too much concern about reviews not unless I'm going to purchase it. If I watch a movie and I feel like I enjoyed it then it's a good movie. I don't give a hoot about what the "experts" say as long as I enjoy the movie the reviews and ratings don't matter.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read reviews, but it depends on where the review is from as well. Generally I will go and see something even with a poor review to make up my own mind. Everyone has different tastes and it's whether the acting, plot or direction is more important for you. I had an ex who is a Film Producer and he liked things I find dreadful (Toystory!) and we often clashed on what was considered good or bad.

14. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    It really doesn't affect my enjoyment of the movie or game but I think it would affect my judgement before I get to experience it. If I were to buy a game, I tend to check on the reviews first because I don't want to get disappointed and waste money for something that I didn't enjoy. However, if I've already experienced the game and played it and I read a review about the game which proves to disagree with me, it won't really matter because I know that the game was good for me and that I enjoyed it.

But when it comes to movies I tend to stick with reviews quite tighter. Before I watch a movie I check on reviews and ratings on websites like RottenTomatoes or IMBD and I take my judgement whether this movie would be worth my time or not. But still it's the same for me, if I enjoy the content then the review doesn't matter.

15. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind reading reviews, but I usually form my own opinion about movies. Sometimes the reviews I read are right, but I still watch the movie anyway to see if I agree with the reviewer.

16. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    I often read reviews and comments from various posts online about movies that are not that popular but has a decent plot. It saves me a lot of time rather than watching the movie without any research. :)

17. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. Most people will consider reading its feedback before diving into. Last week i was about to buy 1Terabyte samsung usb drive but after reading its feedback from the forums, i thought I'd jsut go for buy two 500gb. Thats how reviews affect buying.

18. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't affect music or games for me very much, just because I usually don't end up reading them, I feel like they're a lot less common then reviews for movies. But when it comes to movies, it can make me or stop me from watching something, sometimes even if they're kind of bad, I'll still look just to see "how bad" it really is, half the time, they're right and it's not at all enjoyable, other times, I'm surprised and end up watching a pretty decent movie even though it got some crappy reviews.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't get how someone could base their like of music on reviews. Music is about how it makes you feel. You shouldn't base it on the technical stuff or someone else's opinion. I couldn't even fathom liking only the music that critics like.

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eh, yes, you should base it on "the technical stuff". That's what actually makes good music be good music, and not just another mass produced pop thing. I doubt you would like a song that would be made with a kid piano, in the bedroom, playing chopsticks and captured on mobile phone mic. Everything from songwriting and lyrics to mixing and mastering definitely matters and adds to the artistic depth and enjoyment..