Should there be a way to sell used digital contents?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by daimashin • Oct 1, 2014.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I've been thinking, wouldn't be great if people can sell off their used digital media like movies, music, and etc? Digital is great and all but one caveat is that people can't sell them. I think there should be a way for us to transfer our usage license to another person hence allowing us to sell digitally.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't quite know how that would work. Do you mean that they transfer whatever downloaded data they had to you, but for cheaper than the source download? Do you get what I'm saying?

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people do sell their digital movies, music and games directly on their websites.

For those who don't have websites . . .

There are sites where people can upload their files and get paid pennies [or fractions of pennies] each time their file is downloaded. Should the file be downloaded many times, then those pennies could add up real fast and you'd probably make more than you paid for the movie, game or music.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh! OK, I understand now. So, there's already someone doing that. Still, I think there should be a less "underground" version of that. Of course, there's the danger of digital products being sold with a virus attached or it's a broken download, so you get ripped off.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What should concern anyone when they get files from such sites is the risk of downloading a file infected with a virus. But as far saving cash goes, it's great.

Premium members of those file-sharing sites pay like $40 bucks to download files for the whole year. That would be like 360 movies if you download one movie every day. It's pretty much like torrenting but the only difference here is the files are downloaded faster.

6. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    That's kind of a weird concept specially when it comes to movies. Since the notion of "used" items rely on the physicality of the product and the wear and tear value, it kind of doesn't make sense in a way to sell a "used digital product" since it wasn't really damaged or it doesn't show any wear and tear and for all I know that movie that you've already watched is still the same high quality before you even open up the file.

I get the concept behind the license though. Let's say the software license allows you to use the software for a year, you can resell the license for half the price because you've already used it for a few months. But then again if you're going to pay half the price for a half time use of the license why not just purchase the whole thing right?