Mature Life Equals D.I.Y Life

Discussion in Home & Garden started by MomFirst • Oct 2, 2014.

1. MomFirst

MomFirstNew Member

Threads:
    Is it just me or does it seem like perhaps the more we mature (age) the more we get into wanting to do things ourselves? Since I've passed twenty-five, I've been interested in doing the things I saw my parents doing: saving money and keeping active by doing things themselves. They were diligent in gardening and learning to do their own landscaping; they would often paint, remodel and demo different parts of our home. Of course they kept us involved against our will but I can totally appreciate the knowledge that I have acquired. As a wife and a mother, I being able to have my home in order and I also like for my family to have nice things.

I think I get more excited about a sale at Lowe's, Home Depot or Menard's than I do with department stores. The price matching service that most of the stores are offering makes it even more convenient than having to travel to different locations for the best price. They have the customer cards now too, which is awesome for me because although I keep all of my receipts, they still have your purchases online. I know that Lowe's in Central Ohio offers a bunch of online tools that come in Handy if you're not certain of things! Hope this helps!

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I think so, too. I am 23 now, and I am becoming more and more interested in what I used to call "grown-up" stuff. I am no longer interested in buying clothes or gadgets. I actually visit more online stores that sell furniture or home decor. I think that this age is when our "maternal" instinct kicks in.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it comes with age or with need/opportunity. I know a lot of older people who are actually quite the opposite. They don't want to do any more work than absolutely necessary and have this attitude like they've "done their time" and now others should do it for them. I try to do as much myself as I can because I don't have the money to spare on anything non-essential now. Sometimes having the tools and knowledge to do things yourself is not acquired at a young age because of business though.

4. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I am beginning to be aware of how people are endorsing each other through many channels: DIY lifestyle community groups, workshops on making, Maker Faire shows, studios that invite people to create things, and other trends that lean towards doing things yourself as a necessity. The culture of sharing and making are pretty nurturing that they also support entrepreneurial business spirits. In relation to age, I'm thinking that the more we age the more likely we are to start a business, and the more experience we have with businesses.

I find online campaigns that somewhat encourage the DIY lifestyle exciting. If department stores start a campaign of discounts on DIY stuffs I'm hoping they would win the affection of the DIY communities. Some big brands have always been into the DIY spirit, like blogs and online platforms that encourage blogging. They are very friendly about the sharing of how they make things on their own and what they make of things on their own.