Night Vision Glasses

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Amanda K • Oct 2, 2014.

1. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    These can't possibly work, can they? It seems like they are a gag gift like a pet rock. However, I feel like I need them in my life. Have any of you tried them before? Are they worth it?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With the speed at which the advancement of technology is going, I don't at all feel like night vision glasses are such an unbelievable feat. So yes, I d think that they work. If we have night vision cameras and other things, then glasses can't be that hard for them to do. I wouldn't have any use for them, except for when I go outside in my back garden for my night smokes. And even then, I'd probably be afraid of seeing anything that I wasn't supposed to lol.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried them before. Why would you want to have night vision goggles anyway? I mean sure they're cool to have but for the life of me unless you're living underground and in complete darkness and want to save up on electricity I don't see the point of having one. But if you need it for your job then why not, but if you just find them cool then it's not worth it.

4. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    So you're saying you haven't heard of night vision goggles before? They've been around for ages and yes they do work. Mostly they're used by the military and possibly miners but I don't see the point of normal everyday people having one. I mean, not unless you really need to buy it but judging bu this post I think it's not going to be much of a use for you so I think it's not going to to be worth it.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They certainly do work.

But deathbyprayer has a good point. Night Vision Glasses won't be of any use to most people. Yeah the marketing people will try to find good reasons to get people to buy those glasses but fact is unless you intend to switch of your lights at home, or have plans to do something illegal which must be done under the cover of darkness, they are practically useless.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Of course they work! They're not even terribly new by any means or the most advanced thing out there, but yes, they work. However, like a few other people mentioned, they really cant' be of much practical use to most people. I understand certain things just strike you as particularly cool and you're a bit tempted but practically speaking I doubt they'd be worth the money.

7. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    But if I'm on an 80s style-stakeout and the Casio keyboard kicks on in the background, I'll need to slink around in the bushes to catch the bad guy! Seriously, I have bad night vision for driving. I wonder if they would help with that. And, between tropical storms and ice, the power goes out fairly frequently here. I've heard of night vision goggles, but I thought only the military could afford them.

8. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I have never purchased these but I know exactly what your talking about. My husband and I see this commercial almost every night very late and it is so funny!!! Don't get me wrong, they would be great if they worked but the commercial is so ridiculous I can't even imagine someone buying them. :)

We have a really good laugh though before we go to sleep. I think if these companies would make a better commercial maybe it would be a little bit more believable.

Danyel :)

9. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't used them either. I have also seen the commercial for it and wondered if it worked or not. I wasn't sure if it would work. I was going to buy them for my father, but for some reason I decided against it. He drives at night so these would have been beneficial for him.

10. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I have thought about getting them, but I didn't want to spend that much money on them. My husband has problems driving at night sometimes he still has to anyway. I thought that the glasses might help him. I don't know if it would be worth it though. I think a lot of this things are just marketing company's trying to get you to go and buy something.

11. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I saw those today and actually looked into buying them for a friend. I decided against it because I wasn't sure. I didn't want to spend the money incase they were super cheap and didn't work, or broke. I've seen the commercial a few times but none of the stores around me ever had it. I highly doubt that they even work. I think it said that they can be put on over regular glasses. I think that might feel too bulky.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Night vision goggles are useful for a variety of applications. However, if you're paying less than $600 for a pair, then you're buying something that is guaranteed to not work. The technology isn't cheap, and even a knockoff can't be purchased on the cheap. You have to have the real thing, which costs $600 at the very minimum but often upwards of $1,200 to $12,000, depending upon the technology used. Don't try and find a way around this price because you won't find a working pair.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Someone gave us night vision binoculars before and it's not the same as a pair of glasses. Should I feel the need to snag night vision glasses, it's only because such an item can actually enhance your vision at night, especially in a situation where there's hardly any light at all.This could be one of those rare quirky items.

14. Juan Flores

Juan FloresNew Member

Threads:
    What?

This would probably be the next best thing to a rock. What would one do with night vision glasses? This is just a sad excuse to waste your money. on the other hand who would't want a pair of glasses to help you navigate through a dark hallway at night when you have that sudden urge to go to the bathroom in pitch black darkness. Or help you run through a dark forest at night which would pose the question, Why are you in the forest in the middle of the night in the first place? There is actually a solution to this, turn on the lights or just use a light torch. And besides this would just allow psychopaths to stalk on potential victims, right?

15. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    Probably not, I've had something like that, it turned out to be only a green light modifier. Every light I would've seen through the dark, those glasses would turn it green. But if it was pitch black, then I wouldn't see anything. Don't waste your money on things like this, they are useless.

16. DirtOnWall

DirtOnWallNew Member

Threads:
    Of course it works, the NVG allows you to see better by amplifying any existing light. Meaning if there's no light at all 100% pure blackness. The NVG won't work also.

Source: used military grade NVG a few times.

17. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    The vast majority of people really don't need these things, they are just another gimmick in my opinion. They may have some use for the military for example but i think they would be an expensive waste of money for most people.

Night vision goggles are the type of thing you would get all excited about, use once and then forget about. Juan Flores raises a very good point, these things would make it easier for a psychopath to stalk victims. Taking that and the cost in to consideration i can only really see the negatives in this product.

18. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When would you actually use them? I could maybe understand if you needed them for work but I'm not sure if there's anything I do on my everyday life that requires these.

19. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    I really do not understand when someone would use them unless they were hunters, were just trying to sneak up on someone or were completely stalkers. It does not really make sense why someone would buy them. I guess if you have enough cash that you can just buy some stuff, then I guess that is alright.

20. jamiew23

jamiew23Member

Threads:
    I haven't even heard of these but they sound amazing!!! Going to have a look on the internet for them now, bet they're overly expensive though!