Late night owls: what do you eat if you get hungry?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by pennylane • Oct 2, 2014.

1. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I'll drink some tea or eat some crackers. I know it's a bad habit but I often stay up late because I can't help it.

2. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I usually try not to keep junk food around my house because of this reason. If it's in the house I'll usually snack on it when I can't sleep. I used to have chips and small snack size chocolate bars around, but no more.

If I really can't sleep I make hot chocolate. On occasion I have made scrambled eggs and sausage at 1 am since I was awake. It saved me time in the morning since I wasn't hungry when I woke up.

I have trouble sleeping and I'm pretty much a step or two down from a zombie at this point. I can't fall asleep until I am dead tired so I avoid soda when I'm thirsty. Sometimes I'll snack on a cheese stick or pretzels. I've learned that they taste really good together at 2am.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever sleep because I have chronic insomnia. I don't know about you guys but for some reason, even if I was to stay up all night [either in bed] or just reclining on a couch listening to music, I've never felt hungry at night. My body has been conditioned that way. I suppose if I ever got hungry, I'd fix myself a cup of coffee.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I used to eat a few bread rolls, but since I realised that wheat was causing me a lot of digestion problems I mostly eat potato snacks. Sometimes I will save part of my dinner for eating later. Rice is also a nice easy thing to prepare at night.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I know how this feels! Since I was little, I always get up at night to munch on something because I am always hungry. I just eat cookies or chips even if they are unhealthy. :p LOL. I don't drink tea because it also has caffeine. I am unable to sleep well when I drink tea.

6. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    If I can avoid junk food I will, though it's typically note the case. Something like walnuts or almonds are a healthy, fun treat to snack on in the night. Neither should keep you up. Crackers are definitely a good choice and I munch on those as well. Tea is a nice, relaxing drink to couple a snack with, but you should be careful to avoid any with caffeine or it'll only keep you up longer.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since my main goal for eating midnight snacks is to sleep with my stomach feeling a little less empty, I prefer to eat a few slices of bread along with a cup of hot chocolate for my late night drink. Crackers don't satisfy me that much but I do love to munch during lazy afternoons in my workplace.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hummus or peanut butter on toast, or if it's going to be a late night some onion rings and fries with some barbecue sauce hits the mark. If I feel healthy, then I may have a mug of soup and a few croutons. Almost always with a chocolate bar as well. (Dessert)

9. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I have a habit of staying up really late and the longer I stay up the more I eat. Normally I eat some cereal late at night depending on how hungry I get. There have been night where I cooked myself a full breakfast. Sometimes I wake my husband up from cooking which makes him wake up and eat like a 2a.m.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually eat cinnamon applesauce and drink milk (when I'm being good. when I'm being bad I'll eat ice cream). It satisfies me enough since it's nice and light. The milk helps me relax with the melatonin.

11. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I eat anything of convience when I'm
    Hungry late at night. I need to discipline myself with food but stress and aggravation don't help any. I'm hoping to get my stress under control and a better eating habit in store.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I get myself drowned by drinking water, tea or apple cider vinegar tonic. It depends, if I feel sleepy and I get hungry at night, I drink overdose myself with tea. But if not, during regular nights, I just take drink and apple cider vinegar tonic. Generally I avoid eating solid food that bears a lot of calories.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a big time night owl. Some nights I don't go to sleep at all but instead sleep during the day. Nighttime snacking is one of my downfalls, and I'm sure I would lose quite a bit of weight if I would stop it all together.

I will often make sandwiches with lunch meat and cheeses, and veggies. Usually a half sandwich so I don't feel so bad for eating again, along with some pickle spears and a few chips. I try not to make too many dishes or pots and pans at night because the others in my household will bitch me out in the morning if they wake up to sink full of dirty stuff.

If I am out and about, I love hitting up a greasy spoon diner for some of their home fries and other late night breakfast food.

14. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I am such a night owl!! Like now, I am the only one awake in my whole house. I have always been that way even when I was growing up. Mornings, on the other hand, are NOT my thing. If I'm up late and get hungry, I really try to eat something not to high in fat. I don't want that sitting on my stomach all night. I usually munch on dry cereal or crackers. That seem to satisfy me and the cereal helps with my sweet tooth. :)

Danyel :)

15. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I actually just go ahead and cook a meal, like some rice and ground beef, or some eggs and toast and then just save the leftovers for the next day (not the eggs obviously). I've found that if I just go snack late at night that I will snack WAY too much and eat too many chips or some other junk food that isn't good for me. Feel like it's better to eat a balanced meal, even if it's just a small serving of it, to curb my hunger than over snack on something like chips. What's also nice is I have a meal already made for the next day.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love eating at midnight too and I even consider it just as fun as breakfast, but you are right that eating at night needs much more care and restriction. If I can help my cravings, I'd usually just go for a piece of fruit, some nuts, or some crackers, but if I'm really hungry then I might grab some leftovers or just make a sandwich if we have bread. Otherwise, I would just try as much as possible to sleep it off and save my hunger for breakfast.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat bread because we usually have that over here. Sometimes I eat leftover rice with viand. Sometimes I get really hungry and I call a fastfood chain like McDonald's to deliver my food, but that is if I am in the mood to spend. If not, at the most I will just buy my food at the convenience store.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a night owl and I eat whatever looks good to me at the time. Last night there was some cold pizza in the fridge so I ate it in front of the TV while watching Black Jesus.
    I'm not really on any kind of a diet, though I do exercise and take vitamins, so I just eat whatever appeals to me at the time.

19. Mrs Time

Mrs TimeNew Member

Threads:
    Usually if I am hungry I won't be able to sleep, so I will normally have a banana, or maybe some cereal.

20. florida2015

florida2015Member

Threads:
    If I am out of the house with a friend late at night, I love to eat an omelette or pancakes and hashbrowns from IHop. If I am at home and unable to sleep, I go for the carbs because they will help me feel full and sleepy faster.