Unlimited minutes - a scam?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by Gelsemium • Oct 2, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's really fashionable now to get mobile phone plans with "unlimited" minutes, but sadly that is not the case. When we get them we think we can make all the calls we want, but in fact there is 2000 minutes limit (in my case) and some numbers are paid. What's your experience on this?

2. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I have! It's really annoying. But in my case it's far more annoying. I was enrolled in this plan where my provider says that I have unlimited same network calls 24/7 but turns out that it's not unlimited at all. I was getting capped by the minute which means I can only make at least 20 minutes of phone calls each day and if I reach that limit I need to wait for an hour to make a phone call again, what a waste.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I actually do have unlimited minutes.

The only restrictions are that the calls have to be within the United States, which I think is fair enough. I don't have any roaming charges and no limitations on what kinds of numbers I can dial otherwise.

4. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I have truly unlimited minutes with the phone company that I am with. Most companies have unlimited minutes depending on what plan you choose. The thing that I feel is a scam with cell phone companies is when they advertise unlimited data. The company I am with says it has unlimited data but I only get 3GB of fast data and once that is gone my data reduces to 2g speed.

5. polski691

polski691New Member

Threads:
    I too have an unlimited minutes plan, again, restricted to the country I live in. If you are not satisfied with your plan and believe your provider has been falsely advertising their scheme, then you shouldn't hesitate to switch to another provider that gives you exactly what you want! Sure, your current provider might make it a bit harder to opt-out of their services, but most telecom providers offer incentives to switch to them from their competitors. You should wait untill your credit for the current payment quarter is settled, and then immediately switch over, so that they cannot tack on any additional fees in the name of "late fees" or "processing fees".

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have unlimited minutes and 4G/3G data through my wireless service provider. They're truly unlimited, and I can make calls to select other countries when I need to without getting charged extra. As for my data, I have unlimited 4G when available, and data speeds are only throttled when the network is actually congested, which hasn't happened to me yet. I couldn't be more happy with my service.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Now that is a big deal, truly unlimited minutes means you can call all the numbers. The issue for me was that I had 15€ per month and that was unlimited to me, even with MMS, but now I pay the MMS... I feel I was scammed.

8. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I also have unlimited minutes. I have unlimited everything in fact. I only know this because its the first thing I ask when entering in to a contract. Does unlimited mean unlimited?
    Most services advertised as unlimited DO have a cap in place but from what I've heard you can ask for that cap to be increased or removed altogether.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On my US phone I do have unlimited minutes within the US but the contract does state 'reasonable use', so as long as you are not making 3-4 hour calls or make separate ones that can be deemed reasonable. These days companies can be sued for misrepresenting contracts so unlimited should be that but subject to fair and reasonable domestic use.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get unlimited minutes to landlines in my country and cell phones on the same network. Anything else is chargeable. I get 500 free texts per month too but never manage to use even half of them.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    OK, so unlimited, but with reasonable use, so how can that be determined? I understand their perspective, just imagine I go to the street with my phone next to a payphone and start charging less if they use my phone, would that be the purpose?

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I doubt you would get much business standing next to a payphone, but reasonable use is determined on what a normal person would use. They reserve the right to cancel the service or warn people if they are deemed excessive. Most people don't abuse it, because if they get the service cancelled they lose their number and any money on their account.

13. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really interested in plans that provide unlimited minutes. I'm more interested in unlimited data plans. I don't need minutes enough to justify getting that kind of plan.

14. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Unlimited minutes is not very unusual anymore, in fact many plans are unlimited call and text. Data is where you run into lots of variety. I actually found a great plan that has everything unlimited, and it's still reasonably priced. I don't know what country you live in, but you might want to shop around and see what other companies have as far as plans.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, I really don't have any problem with that, I think they give me 2000 or 4000 minutes, I don't even understand such a big number because I spend 200 or 300 per month tops, but at the same time it's not really unlimited.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, unlimited minute plans are offered to both postpaid and prepaid phones. They are indeed unlimited, but the calls get cut after 15, 30, or 60 minutes and you have to call again.