Spend Less By Buying Fewer Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Oct 2, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do we really need as many clothes as we usually buy?

One money-saving expert says no.

According to this writer, someone needs only 7 shirts/blouses and three t-shirts/tank tops to wear around The House.

For pants or skirts, you could make-do with 5 to six and one or two extra pairs to wear around the house.

It sounds like a great way to save money because every year you only need a small budget to replace two or three worn-out shirts and buy a new pair [or two] of pants and wait until the next year.

Anyone here tried this?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Not really. As much as I am not that a fan of shopping, I still buy a lot of clothes even if I don't really wear them. I guess that this is the bane of women. Hahaha. This is worth trying though. I just feel that it will be a greater waste if I will dispose of my old clothes to make way for these essential pieces.

3. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    The writer must live in a very temperate climate as I see no mention of jackets, sweaters, coats or gloves. In all seriousness I can't imagine living like this, though my best friend probably has even less. She has 3 sets of scrubs she replaces yearly, one sweater, one jacket, and a set of pajamas. I could not even begin to count the clothes items I have and I like it that way.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do, I have given away everything I can get by without and I refuse to buy another clothing item, new or used, until I wear something out completely and need to replace it. I don't like having a lot of things, especially a lot of clothes. It makes me feel like I am a hoarder or living above my means, or just plain greedy. I agree that many people waste a lot of money on clothing without even realizing it. I think our consumer culture has put it in our minds that we need more than we really need.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    That's what I've been edging towards lately, I don't buy clothes very often. I have a ton of shirts and blouses, a fair amount of hoodies and hats and gloves but not very many pants at all. I am in desperate need of new shoes, though, and I could probably use a pair of winter boots, too. Definitely have to consider changing climates around here.

6. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Owning less clothes can actually be more expensive. The less you own, the more you have to wash them. That brings up electricity, water, and costs for detergent and softeners. If you're unable to wash your clothes in a certain amount of time due to unexpected errands or issues you have an even bigger problem. Not to mention stains- those could pose a much bigger problem than a simple speck if you only have the smallest amount of clothes needed to get through a week. A simple change of clothes in the day could throw off the cycle.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's more about buying the latest fashions. You can have your basics and classic items and then add some up to date items. Clothes are much cheaper now than they are used to, so people buy them not for investment but because of the look and price. It all depends on your age, teenagers want to buy new clothes all the time and that's what teenagers do.

Older people will buy for the long term, but not the young. I have classic winter coats and cardigans that will last me forever, but they don't date either, but sometimes you need to add something new to the outfit, like boots or a scarf.

8. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I try to buy a few durable pieces in classic cuts that won't go out of style quickly. So, I spend money on coats every five years or so, and every year I buy a couple of nice pairs of jeans, black pants, and khakis. They get replaced every year mostly because of weight fluctuations- not because they are worn out. J. Crew stuff lasts forever if you care for it reasonably well. This is where I spend the money. Then, I accessorize with stuff from H&M or Forevever 21 (or bought secondhand). There are great consignment stores around here. I often drop off dresses I had to wear for a special occasion then use the money from them to buy another dress.

9. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    Shopping for clothes and shoes is like an addiction to me. I have so many clothes and shoes and I have not wore most of them. I enjoy staying up to date with the latest fashion so I always shop. I do put some of my shopping to good use though. The clothes that I do not want or wear, I always donate them to the Salvation Army for families in need.

10. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I can absolutely see where this could work. We all have way too many clothes in our closet and at least for me, I don't wear half of them. They just hang there and I wear the same ones I love over and over. Funny how we all think we need so much when in reality we could get by with much less. I try and go through my closet about every 6 months and donate what I haven't worn . Let's face it... if you haven't worn it in 6 months, you probably never will. Just feel like someone else could use things more than me. :)

Danyel :)

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Looks like I've been following that writer's advice all my life - I never bought too many clothing items :D I usually buy just enough clothes, not too few (I don't want to wash often as that degrades the material/colors) and not too many (little space to store and more money spent). Still, if you're working with the public or you're a very social person you need more pairs than the writer suggests.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you go to school and you don't have a uniform, then it is a must to buy new clothes. You don't want to repeat the same stuff over and over again right? But when it comes to house clothes, then I guess a few of them would do when you're just inside the house. But if you go to work or school regularly, then it is a must to not repeat the same thing over and over again as much as possible.

13. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I have been thinking about this and I love clothes. Also, I am getting older and I have no children or heirs to worry about leaving money to. I am not interested in just saving as much money as possible and stuffing it in my mattress. I want to save money on the things I don't care about so I can have money to spend on the things I do care about (like clothing, trips, pets). So this is not something I am interested in trying.