Forget about what's "In"

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by DancingLady • Oct 2, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    One way I have saved a lot of money on clothing over the years is by forgetting about what is considered "in style" right now and just wearing what I think looks nice, stylish or not. I have been able to find lots of older clothes on eBay and in thrift stores that are being sold for very little money even though they are in excellent condition. I know some people would not be comfortable wearing a 20 year old dress, but for me personally, I will wear it if I like it, no matter what other people say. I do my own thing style wise.

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    That's how I am as well...though for me I've never really cared about what's "in", plus it changes all the time ;). If something is comfortable or fits with my style than I'll wear it...and I have a pretty eclectic style, but I've never had trouble finding things I like for decent prices.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. It's much better to just buy clothes that are more classic since they never go out of style and thus you could use them for years or even decades. Then you could just maybe grab a few trendy items here and there to compliment your wardrobe so that you could still keep current even without a wardrobe overhaul.

4. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I like the way you think. I am the same way and it works so much better. If I love something then I keep it no matter if it's from last year or 5 years ago. If it's comfortable then it's a keeper. I am all into being comfy especially when I'm just hanging around the house.

This saves me tons of money too. The way it goes is this... a new style comes out and everyone rushes to buy it. 6 months later it's something new and different and the old clothes go to the wayside. Kind of sad really, especially since there are so many people in the world that can't even afford food. :(

Danyel :(

5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I also do not like to focus on the 'fad' of the day. The reason for this is that years later you will look at photos of yourself and laugh. You will see your bell bottoms or whatever outlandish style was popular and never be able to wear them in public again until they become 'retro'. If you stick to classic lines of clothing, not much changes and you barely notice the time has gone by. I'm glad I have a few photos of me with 3 inch high bangs but other than that, I could have done without all the shoulder pads. They are really hard to remove...

6. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I'm the same way! I've always had this mentality since I was a kid. I never went through the whole teen pressure phase because I wasn't all consume with what was "in" and so forth. For some odd reason I was always comfortable with my own style. I'm not someone who caves to pressure to have the latest top, shoes or dress. I know my personal style and I always find pieces that caters to my taste. I love form fitting clothes but nothing too tight. I still wear clothing pieces I bought almost a decade ago. I'm pretty good at mixing up my clothes and creating a decent outfit.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fashion means nothing to me. I never buy clothes just because it's the fashion. Entertainers and those who love to copy what their favorite celebrities do can go ahead and buy clothes which are "in." They are usually quite pricey. And since companies want to make money, the fads never last long. Before the end of the year, something new is out. I can't let anyone control me that way. That's why I buy "timeless" clothes. They can be worn today, next year or even a decade from now if they survive that long.

8. MomFirst

MomFirstNew Member

Threads:
    When I was young I hated school because my parents couldn't always afford what was 'in' until it when on sale, by then the next fad would be approaching. As a young adult I overcompensated for the things I never had. I had more clothes, shoes, and accessories than I had square footage. I've since matured and I felt that I have had it all and with all the money wasted it wasn't worth it. It could have been money saved for my stability.
    I'm all about having nice things at a low price. "One mans trash is another mans treasure."

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. Well, I haven't really followed fashioned trends ever since. I prefer to buy clothes that make me feel comfortable like simple jeans and shirts. When there are clothes on sale, I buy those. I also love buying from thrift stores. You'll be surprised at the number of cheap clothes that you can buy from them.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some clothes are really timeless, you know? Like the basic cut of jeans, blouses, dresses and skirts. Some clothes that have a more unique design like skinny jeans or those flared and elephant jeans tend to have a shelf life depending if it's still in or not. I actually have those wide flared jeans and I can't wear them anymore because if I do, then I might "stand out", you know? So nowadays I just tend to buy the clothes that don't go out of style.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I absolutely detest looking like everyone else.. or even being like everyone else lol. You have no choice if you shop in malls or anywhere with the current styles. I haven't stepped foot in one in so many years. I've never cared about what's in, because it just means "cookie cutter".. people seeking to be like everyone else instead of themselves. Of course there are some really nice trends you can't help but snag a piece of, but in general, no way.. bores me to tears.

12. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't care about trends. I admit somethings things that I like become trendy and when they do I buy so that I can keep wearing them again even after the trend passes. I've been pretty lucky that I've stayed the same size for a few years so

I usually buy simple staples or pieces that are my style so even if they aren't in style I would still love them. But buying vintage or from thrift stores is not really an option in plus sizes.

13. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    It mattered to me a bit in high school. It was my mother who was more concerned about what I wore. Now I don't give a damn what I put on as long as it is durable, half decent looking and I get a good price on it. I usually always wear some $5 T-shirt on some Dockers pants. I have 2-3 high end shirts for special occasions.

14. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with that completely. I don't follow the "in" trends I just buy things that look nice on me and if that means heading to the thrift shop (which I often have) especially to save a little money then that's what I'll do. The thrift store often has many really nice clothes some even new that were probably just donated from a particular store and, and why pay more money when you don't have to?

15. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really tried to "fit in" when it comes to clothes, I've always just worn what's most comfortable and what I like the most. I mean, of course, some of the "fads" I've liked, and I've worn the clothes, but not to try to fit in, just because I liked them, that's all!

16. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I have never been much into what it in or not. I just order my clothes online and it mostly depends on if I like it or not.
    Other times I buy my clothes at the store if they have a really good dela going on.
    To me, it does not make sense to follow some kind of fashion trend because that trend will change some day. I rather wear something I like to wear and feel comfortable in.

17. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    It costs a lot of money to buy new fashion every six months. That's why I try to buy clothes that are classics as they in year after year. That way I only buy a shirt or jewelry every so often as an homage to what is "in".