Plastic vs wood clothes peg

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Oct 2, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We all use clothes peg, in the last years the use of plastic pegs is very generalized, but I feel that these plastic pegs are not as reliable as the old wood ones. What is your experience, do you feel that the wood pegs last longer or the plastic ones?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer plastic clothes peg to wood. The main reason is I don't want termites to infest my wooden pegs. It'd be a big hassle to clean up the wooden residue. Moreover, plastics are less pricey and when used properly, they can last for years. It won't be necessary to change clothes peg after a short period of use.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I use both. My plastic pegs actually fall apart sooner than my wooden ones but maybe that is because I tend to use them more. I'm always worried that the wooden ones will get wet and then mark my clothes, so I only use them when my plastic ones run out. I must admit, my first reaction was to say I like the wooden ones better but then after I thought about it I had to say that I actually use the plastic ones more. So many I like how the wooden ones 'look' better but trust plastic when it comes to getting wet? It is a good question though, sorry I did not do a very good job at answering it!

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I like plastic more. Wooden ones tend to smell weird after some time. They also get eaten by termites. Plastic hangers are way cheaper than wooden ones, too. I can even sell them to junkshops for money when they are damaged.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer plastic ones as wooden one get wet and also go moldy if they aren't dried out properly. Plastic ones are now bigger and have grooved thumb grips so they can be easier to use. Wooden ones can also give me splinters, so plastic is safer for me.

Both can snap and break, but I find plastic ones do leave less of a peg mark on delicate clothes as another poster said.Wooden ones do seem to last longer, but the price of pegs has gone down so they are affordable to replace.

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I too find that the plastic ones don't seem to hold as tightly as the wooden ones, especially in heavy wind. The wooden ones aren't that more expensive so it really is a worthwhile investment. They're also more aesthetically pleasing to me too, and feel better than the tacky plastic ones.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that there are different sort of plastics and if we do have an eye for it we can see which ones are made to last more or less. Of course, the ones made to last more are more expensive. Even so I feel that the wooden ones are more reliable and last longer.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think plastic pegs last only for a short duration of time and are nor very useful. As a result you end up replacing the pegs every now and then. I also think that wooden pegs give a totally different look to your place and much more reliable.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That totally depends on the type of plastic akiii, I have plastic pegs that crumble after a while and I have others that last for years and years. Wood does seem more reliable that is a fact, but they are way more expensive as well.

10. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I use the plastic ones for a few reasons. One, the wood ones are hard to find here. Second, the wood ones got ruined after one heavy rain. So, for me, the plastic ones last longer when I get the ones that are made out of better quality plastic. The cheap plastic ones are no good because they break pretty quickly.

11. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I like the wooden ones only because they are sturdier, cheaper and last longer. Plastic ones are convenient but can be easily broken and are often not strong enough to support heavier materials when they are wet -- not to mention that they are nearly three times as expensive to buy and nearly always have half as many in a package. Wooden clothes pins just seem to be a better investment. I just recommend taking the pins off the line and bringing them inside in between uses because rain and dew can compromise the integrity of the wood causing them to mold or rot.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a very hot climate where plastic quickly disintegrates in the sun, so my first choice has always been wood. On the other hand, during monsoon season, the wood often gets moldy, so I have plastic pegs on hand as well. It's good to have a selection for every occasion. :)

13. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I just realized that we have been using plastic pegs only now. We used to use wood pegs, but not anymore. I think plastic pegs and wood pegs are both useful, but wood pegs do tend to be a little bit slippery. The plastic ones change color when exposed to a lot of sunshine and a lot of wind. I didn't really think there were significant difference in the way they perform their tasks, though. Both works.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That happens without we realizing it Designer because we go to the supermarket or wherever we go and we pick up the first pegs that we see (or the cheaper ones) and we don't realize that the wooden ones are often missing there.

15. johndee

johndeeMember

Threads:
    Well, I first must admit that I love wooden pegs for their natural look and feel. To answer the question, I believe that the manner in which we utilize and preserve what we use determines its durability. That includes plastic or wooden pegs.

For instance, if not carefully preserved, wooden pegs can get wet and easily rot. Plastic ones can easily break or snap if not carefully handled. So I would say, how long plastic or wooden pegs last largely depends from one user to another. I mean, we all handle things differently, don't we?

16. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I use both types of clothes pegs, but I tend to prefer the plastic ones and I buy them more often. I don't know if it is just the look of the plastic ones that appeal to me more. Right now I have more plastic pegs than wooden ones. However, even though I prefer the plastic ones I find that they are not as durable as the wooden ones. If handled too roughly, they break. I still have some wooden ones that were there for quite a while now and can still be used. I find that I buy the plastic ones quite regularly since they don't last as long.

17. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I am old school and like to use wooden clothes pegs. I still have some of the clothes pegs my mom used 30 years ago. There is nothing wrong with them, they work fine. I find that the plastic ones are poorly made and break. My kids will play with them and then they snap. I have spent more money than I should buying the plastic ones. I stopped and started buying the wooden ones from the Dollar store and they work so much better. I really enjoy hanging clothes out on our clothes line. They smell so fresh and I know I'm saving money by not running the dryer as much. I only put towels in the dryer to get them soft.