The Worst Apps

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by DrRipley • Oct 2, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We already have a good amount of threads discussing some of the best apps for their particular category or function, so I thought we could make a thread discussing which ones we see as the worst ones we've experienced so far. Partly so that other people could avoid them and see other alternatives, and also maybe to offer some constructive criticism to the developers of these apps if by any chance the word somehow gets to them.

I'll start with my own pick which is the Chrome web browser app on ios. I found is surprising because I expected Google to have one of the best browsers in tablets and phones due to them having arguably the best one on traditional computers. After I got my first tablet and downloaded Chrome on it and started to use it, however, I was shocked at how poorly it performed as well as it's lack of features and design. Not only are there no swipe shortcuts for navigating, lack of extension capabilities, and it also crashes constantly, not to mention the bookmarks viewer is just terrible in terms of viewing and organizing.

Conversely, Mercury browser shines in all of this, with it's customizable swipe gestures, multiple extensions, great organization for bookmarks and downloaded files as well as it being able to connect to dropbox and other cloud servers for easy transfer.

Shame on the Chrome team for ios, really. Their app just seems lazy and complacent, which I really didn't expect from such a big and supposedly well oiled company, and kudos to their competitor for actually making use of touchscreen and portable device features instead of just phoning it in like Google did.

How about you guys, any picks for worst apps? Which alternatives would you recommend?

#1Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! I totally agree with Chrome. It was pretty cool at first but my God that browser is probably the most sluggish browser I've ever experienced in mobile. It eats up all the RAM and every time you start it, it takes like 5 minutes to get everything settled. But the worst part is the crash. Since it eats up almost every resource in your phone it always crashes.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I have an Android Tablet, and my default browser is Chrome. I agree that it is slow, but I still use it. This is because I also have a Chromebook, and I can sync all my bookmarks between both devices.

For me, the worst app is Google Hangouts. It just sucks bigtime! It isn't as user-friendly as Skype even if I am using a Chrome device. Don't ever use this.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are worse apps out there than Google Chrome and Google Hangouts. Any app that doesn't receive regular updates will fall into this category. There's nothing worse than an unstable app that isn't optimized for newer mobile operating systems. There are tons of apps that fit this bill, and they should all be removed from their respective app stores. If you see an app that hasn't been updated in over a year, then you should probably run away as fast as possible.

5. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    The worst app that i have ever tried is a game called DOTS. I don't know what's the point of that game to be honest. I mean, all you have to do really is to connect the dots. It's so absurd to even consider putting in the appstore. It's a shame really, the design looks pretty neat it's actually what attracted me to the game. I deleted the game right after i played the first round. *shakes my head*

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The worst app for me is this game called Flappy Bird, which I presume a number of us here have already played or at least have heard of. I don't have anything against the creator but the game's not very entertaining for me. If it has some entertainment factor, it's so short-lived it wouldn't even last for a week. The game also lacks incentives so it's not very easy to keep at it for a long time.

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I hate it when the apps that I have lot of expectations from the app turn out to be really bad. Some of the worst apps that I have downloaded is internet checker apps. Most of these always calculate the wrong amount of data and also restrict the data that is being used. I have uninstalled all kinds of those apps and plan never to use it again.

8. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Man oh man! I thought I was the only person on this Earth! having seeing and playing Flappy Bird, I cannot come to grips with the apps, I am, Temple Run seems to bring a better level of enjoyment of me, and I'm not a game player, so to say that, means a lot. Flappy Bird is good for those who love it, but for me, I say...I've never downloaded it on any of my devices.

9. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I consider one of the worst apps to be Flashfox Pro for Android phones. For an app that offers a browser with the benefit of flash that other mobile browsers don't have, I was like great. I downloaded the free version and ended up buying the premium. But you see some time after that, the app's functionality became terrible. It keeps crashing when I try to use it and the developers won't release any updates to fix an app people like me paid for. So I have to classify it as one of the worst out there.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've played the knock off version so I know it's not my kind of game. It's just way too simplistic for my liking. There are a few good time waster games out there but Flappy Bird is just not one of them.

11. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    When I first began actively downloading, curating and using apps, I downloaded this

app by ZurApps Research Inc. It was very conservative in trying to help you organize your trips. I had to decide whether or not I should keep it because it was taking up much storage. The maps were very detailed, so it had to sit on my device without me ever opening it up. When it began showing options of Apple Map and Google Map I decided not to update it anymore. I think it could have been more fun as a desktop app and not a mobile app.