Turn $500 to $5,000 within an hour YET now I have $0!

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by MomFirst • Oct 4, 2014.

?

Have You Ever Been Scammed?

1. Yes (Don't remind me)

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MomFirst

MomFirstNew Member

Threads:
    "Flip your cash, turn $500 to $5000 in most cases less than a hour!!" "Are you interested in flipping your cash? You can start with as little as $100 and I can turn that into $1000! Text me. number in the bio!" I have been seeing tons of these advertisements all over social networking sites! I did try to turn a $100 to $1,000 and I was left with $0.

To those who are unfamiliar with this (in hindsight) obvious scam, people leave the aforementioned messages over and over again on your page and other peoples pages. Usually on their page there are pictures of tons of cash, vacation homes and getaways, lavish photos like the person posting them may actually have enough money to invest in helping people make some quick cash. :rolleyes: I did forget to mention that they have pictures of clients with testimonials (hindsight: there were no tags to show who the person may have been; I thought that may have been for privacy), there were plenty of (phony) text messages thanking him and admitting they thought this was a scam but they are glad they tried because things like tuition, bills, and rent were able to be paid. Being new to social media, I replied to his inquiry.

I was asked to go to CVS/ Walgreens and find a vanilla reload pack and load whatever amount I am trying to flip in intervals of $100 and he would be able to deposit the $900 difference on the card once I gave him the card number. I asked so many questions and he was so good at his game that he had an answer for all of them. I was asked to hurry because he had other clients waiting. Not wanting to miss the opportunity, I did just that. So many things happened to me (including the purchase of the wrong card) that it should have been a sign not to proceed with the process. I called and asked if he'd recieved my text. He said he had not so I took a picture and forwarded the information again. After calling and not getting a response after the hour, I realized I had indeed been scammed and I accomplished to set my family back a hundred bucks that we didn't have.

I don't think people want to be scammed they just still have faith in people doing what they say they're going to do. I also think the desperate are preyed on because of vulnerability.
    Seems cliche, yet so accurate: If It Seems Too Good To Be True Then It IS!!!

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your last line is the truth. There simply are not any viable, legal, methods for the average person to get rich quick. There are legitimate ways to make some money online, but they are usually low pay jobs that do require some time and at least some effort. I hate scammers as much as the next person does, and I feel bad for people who get taken, because these predators prey on desperate people who usually can't afford to lose any money. Sorry this happened to you.

3. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    I have a cousin that prays on people like this. She has pulled so many scams from claiming to have cancer to fostering a special needs child. She goes online and holds fundraisers, gofundme accounts, text to donate--you name it. I have estimated she has stolen approximately $50,000 from people. She was even on the television show, "Extreme Couponing" and consumer and coupon advocates contacted the show about her (and others) using fraudulent coupons to make their impressive totals. At one point she was breeding pit bulls while telling rescue groups she found the puppies. Another scam was an illegal day care.

Bottom line is that people are going to prey on others no matter what. And scammers tend to find the people with good hearts or those in desperate need. Also, people of faith and Southerners are more susceptible due to their outlook that people should be good to each other. It is sad that this is the world we live in.

4. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry to hear that. Like you said, some people are really good at scamming others, and when they have an answer to every question you have, its easy to trust them and ignore all your doubts.

Unfortunately, a lot of people fall for these, and it takes an experience like yours to become wary of such offers.

Quoting another cliche, yet true, saying: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've read and re-read your post and I can't believe that some people still fall for it. In this world nothing comes for free, we need to work hard to achieve it, so if someone offers money it's because most likely you'll end up scammed. Beware!!

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The reason why scammers still manage to deceive people is because every new day someone who hasn't heard of such scams before will come across their ad and since people want to make fast cash, some will fall for the scam.

There were and still are some work at home sites that charge people to access their job marketplace. Those desperate to get a work at home job that pays well fork out the cash and learn soon after that they've been had.

When you see an ad that in any way intimates easy or a lot of cash for little work, ignore it and you won't lose any money to scammers.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Sorry to hear that happened, but how come you didn't ask anyone about this "opportunity?" You said yourself that your new to social media and anyone with experience on the internet would have been able to help you and tell you about the obvious scam this guy was pulling on you.

The key that should have been the tip off is he didn't explain exactly "how" he was going to flip your money into $1000 and he had you pay him in a format that can't be traced back to him. While it's unfortunate it cost you $100, at least you're now well aware of the dangers of the internet and will be able to spot a scam when you see it.

8. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    This is so disheartening. It's so sad that people have to scam people just to make money. I've learned my lesson well, I have also been a victim of scams before, and it's not pretty. You are correct, if it's too good to be true, then it must be. I have been standing by that phrase and I've never been scammed again. People need to be more cautious.

9. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Oh man that was so bad and so sorry for you. In my opinion, we can protect ourselves against this scammers. When I do find myself caught by a very fascinating marketing scheme, I always double check and read reviews of people who have known about it. I am sure that there were so many before me who were caught by the same scheme.. so before I blame those people who (will about to) scam me.. I have to protect myself first and make sure that I am fully informed about their system, their programs, read their terms and conditions, their FAQs, forums related to them, and YES - even their location and contact information.

If I found just few convincing write up against them.. then I better distance myself or be sorry in the end.