Fast Food discount menus

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Zyni • Oct 4, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you use the dollar menu or "value" menu when you go for fast food? Depending on the franchise, it can be cheaper than purchasing the combos they offer. In some cases, the combo might be cheaper. I don't do fast food often, but when I do, I usually grab something off the dollar menu. Since I bring a drink with me when I head out, I don't really need a combo that includes a drink.

What do you think of value menus? Which establishments offer the best ones?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't drink soda, so I NEVER buy the combos. It's pretty much always cheaper to order a sandwich and fries, if that's what I want. I do use the value menu quite often when I'm at that type of place because it helps keep my portions in check, too. I don't really need an extra large fry just for myself, ya know?

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right. I don't need a giant burger or sandwich and a huge pack of fries either. I tend to get just a small sandwich and once in a while a side if I'm really hungry. I like fries, but I like the choice of a small salad too. If I really feel like a treat, I might get a sandwich and dessert instead of a side.

4. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    Ohhhh good thread idea

Yea for awhile I would cheap out at the drive through and just grab something off the dollar menu (I don't need a large soda with 60grams of sugar tyvm) but, at least at Crack in the Box, I've been soo disappointed with their cheap sandwiches that recently I've just been opting for their fancier (more expensive) burgers. Their cheap menu chicken sandwhich is so bad. After you've eaten it, and especially if you don't have a drink on hand, it feels like you've just choked down a bag full of sawdust. It's so dry! It's just this rubbery, breaded chicken patty, with a silver-dollar sized piece of wilted lettuce, maybe a half spoonful of mayo, and two warm, moist buns. Gross!

Their fancy menu is expensive (like 4 bucks for a relatively small sandwhich! I thought fast food was supposed to be cheap!? WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS!), but the sandwiches are pretty darn good, I have to say.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well we really don't do fast food very often anymore, but when we do I find it cheaper/more appealing to just skip the combos- I don't usually want a big fountain drink (not to mention the really gross thought of how uncleanly the machine and the ice maker is), or fries. So it's almost always a better deal for me to just get something off the value menu and actually get the size of burger that I want in the first place.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only buy a combo if it's a drink I can carry with me in a bottle. Subway do a meal deal and it includes mineral water in a bottle so that's worth it as it works out to be free. Places like McDonalds aren't worth it for me either, though for families who share I can see that it can save money.

I don't think they are bad as you still have a choice and makes it affordable for some people.

7. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    There is definitely value in the "value" meals. You get a large fries and large soda. The only bad thing is that a lot of times the soda is not as carbonated as you would like it to be. But if you are looking for a full stomach the value meal is definitely the way to go. McDonalds also offers a lot of coupons online where if you buy a value meal you get a burger or apple pie free. Here where I am McDonalds delivers to my house. And I can order it online. So there are a ton of different promos.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I always keep bottled waters in my car, which come in handy when I have a craving to stop and order something off of their dollar menu. That way I don't feel tempted to order the combo meal just so I can have something to wash it down with. The markup on pop is ridiculous. It only costs the restaurant less than 10-15 cents to make you a soda then they charge like $1.50 - $2.25 for it.

Speaking of the dollar menus, has anyone else noticed that they are now making them in super tiny fine print so that you can barely read them from your car when at the drive thru's? I've noticed all the big fast food joints in my area doing this now, including McDonalds and Taco Bell, and it's really annoying. You almost need to just pull up the menu on your smart phone first before pulling in there.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I Always get the combos! I don't typically have dollar menu things just because they are usually smaller, but I get value menus all the time. It's worth it for the Money,and as I usually go for a full meal instead of a snack it's the best option.

10. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I usually buy off the dollar menu if I can. I usually just get water in a soft drink cup from the fast food place I'm eating at. I don't see the point in paying over $6 for a meal when I just can buy a few items for under $3 or so. I usually just get a small sandwich and a small fry. Taco Bell recently added a dollar menu and they have quite a few things that I enjoy.

Sometimes if I have coupons or am a big more hungry I will order a value meal. The deals aren't usually that bad, and it allows me to get a bigger sandwich - since I can't get the same items on the dollar menu most of the time.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Does anyone buy two sandwiches from the dollar menu instead of one big sandwich? A friend of mine used to grab two cheeseburgers to eat for lunch when working, instead of paying $3-4 + for a large sandwich. I also know people who prefer the bigger sandwich (more meat, less bread). Which is the better value for you?

12. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I really like to be satisfied when I eat out. I rarely order from the dollar menu and prefer to have a meal to satisfy my hunger. I would only buy things of a dollar menu when I am in need of a quick bite and usually order a sandwich. It is a lot more reasonable for me to purchase a big meal to satisfy my hunger than to nibble on smaller items and end up wanting more. I always order small and it always manages to fill me up, so there really are no downsides when ordering the meals. There is a philly cheese steak restaruant here that offers free refills on their combos and I love it.

13. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I order off the dollar menu too. I don't want the soda that comes with the meal so I will buy them off the dollar menu. Plus it is cheaper for me to buy it off the dollar menu than to buy the value meal. McDonalds has a pretty good deal and so does Wendys. I will buy from either one of them.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the fast food. If I'm on a tight budget, I wouldn't mind settling for a value meal. It's still food. If I can still go to sleep with a full stomach, then that's all thanks to value meals. Thank goodness a lot of fastfoods are considerate enough to have a "value" option in their menu. On one hand, if my pocket's relatively healthy, I'd choose a dollar menu.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On the occasions that I do eat at fast food places, I do order from the dollar menu and just bring a bottle of iced tea from home.
    I make iced tea every day at home so I don't buy soft drinks anywhere. I've even snuck a bottle of iced tea into the movie theater.

16. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    These days we usually get takeout and bring it home, where we have much cheaper stuff to drink, so we usually use the "dollar" or 2 for $5 menu. When we have excess money we may splurge.

17. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Typically we do use the dollar menu at fast food restaurants. They usually have a good variety and it just seems to fit our food preferences. We have a family of 6 and although we don't go out to fast food often, we try and keep the bill as low as possible. The dollar menu is normally smaller portions so it fits for our 4 children. :)

Hope this helps!

Danyel :)

18. vdenayb23

vdenayb23Member

Threads:
    The dollar menu is my best friend. When I choose to get fast food I order off the dollar menu unless there is a special on a new combo or something. Theres nothing wrong with ordering off the dollar menu. Or the value menu. It saves money unless theres a special offer or you have coupons.

19. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I often order off the dollar menu at McDonalds for example, two double-cheeses are cheaper than a single Big mac and they are much more filling.
    Of course this is just once in a while, I wouldn't really recommend going there regularly :)

20. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I usually order off the dollar menu when I eat at fast food restaurants. I don't see the point of spending a lot of money on eating such low quality food. I'm trying to save money and budget. The exception being at places such as Chick Fil A and Zaxby's. Which are more high quality fast food joints. I think they're worth spending a bit more on because the food is so good. At places like McDonalds, though, it's dollar menu all the way.