Dove shower gel

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Gelsemium • Oct 6, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used a couple of Dove shower gels and I really like them, but this "new" "Purely Pampering category" it's a no go for me because it feels that it sticks to the body and I need to shower and shower to have it all removed. It makes me nervous when I am bathing my kids...!! Anyone tried it?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have definitely tried Dove shower products in the past, along with many other Dove products, such as soaps and skin creams. I have had a few complaints about them actually. But never actually got to verbalize them to anybody lol. I feel that the soaps tend to dry out the skin way too much. Our family stopped buying them years ago. The shower gel strongly resembles semen, which is kinda creeps if I do say so myself. On the positive, it smells good? Lol.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I've tried the pistachio one and it's amazing, I love the smell, the almonds one it's not so good, but my problem is not with the flavors that are great, but with the hard time I have removing that gel because it's so sticky, so don't buy that pampering one, it's my advice.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Dove for soap and as bath foam, but they are very rich and you have to lather them up or they do leave a residue. I don't like the shampoo for that reason as it leave a sticky residue and makes my hair feel heavy. The smell is nice, but I think it's geared towards women rather than a family. The packaging is awful, but is often on special so I buy it for that reason, but never the shampoo or conditioner.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Dove ha a lot of moisturizers in their products. I haven't tried their shower gel, but I'm guessing that is what the problem is with rinsing. Check the label and see if they are using a petroleum based moisturizer, those are the hardest to wash off (ie Vaseline). I don't like using soaps that are so full of lotion stuff that I don't know if I got clean. I'd rather put the lotion on after the shower.

6. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I really love the Dove brand and normally don't have any issues with any of their products but I really agree with you on this one. I'm not sure what they changed or what the ingredient is but it does leave a very strange feel even after you rinsed off. :(

Not that I'm happy you are having the same issue, but I thought it was just me!! I stopped using it and went back to the original kind which seems to be fine.
    I also had to return the other 3 bottles I purchased as well.

Thanks for sharing!
    Danyel :)

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    No problem Danyel, it's really a shame because I love the Pistachio scent, it really awesome, I just hate the time I need to take it off. Sadly after some months I have fallen in the mistake of buying it again, huge promotions lead me to it...

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our household doesn't really try the new scents. We have moved onto a different brand, because as I mentioned above, Dove seemed to dry our skin out. But having said that, I am not a fan of nuts. I don't like almonds. Not even the smell. So that wouldn't be a scent that I would go for, unless I smelled it at someone else's house and liked it.

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    What do you mean it makes you nervous when bathing your kids Gelsemium?
    Due to it taking too long to come off?

My wife uses Dove shower gel and she swears by it, says it's very silky. (I prefer using soaps)

10. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    Am I the only one who actually likes it when the soap I use leaves a thin film of residue? It makes me feel like my skin would stay moist for longer.

I think it stems from the fact that I've used dermatological soaps a lot when I was a kid (Oilatum bars, anyone?) And those are meant to leave a thin film behind to protect your skin. So I associate that residue with quality products.

I like Dove shower gel for this, but I've recently switched to Irish Spring because of the smell. :)

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm...I have tried their products in the past without any issue but not that one in particular...I wouldn't like that either, though. I don't like ones that are overly sticky or heavy or seem to just leave a residue afterwards- like you said, it makes you feel like you need a shower all over again! I'll keep that in mind and steer clear of that one, then.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's exactly it, I have to rub and rub and rub and the gel does not come out, it's really sticky so no wonder they make such big promotions, no one likes it. Please note that it's the Dove "Purely Pampering" category, the other Doves are good, especially the cucumber one.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really enjoy Dove shower gels just because they are very moisturizing aside from cleaning well. With regular shower gels you usually get dry your skin, but with Dove, it gets moisturized as well is clean. I really enjoyed the one for sensitive skin, since my skin is very sensitive. It feels like I'm pampering myself, which I love!

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Well isabbbela, I feel that we are not discussing the same product because the regular Dove I love too, but this pampering one is the most sticky thing I've used, so I will never buy it again. More, I have already bought new gel from another brand.

15. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I have not tried the product that you mentioned. However I have noticed a similar effect with some soaps. It feels very sticky and won't seem to come off unless you shower for ages. Not something I like, so I will probably avoid this in future.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a big fan of Dove products, but I haven't tried to the shower gel. I don't like the feel of a thin residue on my skin either. I do like moisturizing body washes, but I want a residual. I haven't seen the new product line, but I think I will avoid it.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Good choice Parker. I am now struggling to finish the bottle, I already have my small kids to help me, so after I put the gel on them I ask them to rub it with water while I take the shampoo from their heads, they can give a good help believe me! :)

18. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah :) Dove is among the best in hair care products, I love the vanilla favored shampoo and air conditioner that they produced, I also like St. Ives, I've been using their products for the past 6 years, from their face/acne products to their hair care products, lotions and even their body scrubs. I've also used Dove soap and body wash, so for now, as you can see, I have clear favorites in skin and body care products.

19. jaygee

jaygeeNew Member

Threads:
    Dove soap products have too much perfume in them for me. I'm pretty sensitive to strong scents and Dove closes my nose right up and gives me headaches.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I love some strong scents, what I just don't love is the sticky shower gel. Today was a happy day because I finished the bottle of shower gel haha, so just one to go, but I am not using it right now, I am taking a break from that suffering... :)