Cheap way to workout this winter.

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by H.C. Heartland • Oct 7, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Winter is quick on our heals in some parts of the world. This means putting up the 'ol bicycle or whatever outdoor activity we were doing all summer (sniff). Do you have any ideas for cheap ways to workout this winter? A lot of gyms have expensive memberships. There is one near my folks that allows you to purchase monthly so that you can get out of your membership once the weather warms up again. Do you have any other ideas?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Body weight workouts would be the best option. You don't pay a thing and don't even have to leave your house if it's too cold. There hundreds of videos on youtube that can provide guidance on how to get the most out of different body weight exercises such as:

Pull-ups.
    Push-ups.
    Sit-ups.
    Squats.

Actually you'll get as much exercise as anyone who pays for gym membership.

3. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    All you really need is willpower and discipline... Those won't cost you a dime.

I don't want to be rude, but enough with the excuse making already. If people want to get in shape, just stop talking about it and do it already.
    You're not making the world any favours you know? It's your body, and it's your life. If you can't get motivated, that's on you.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I'd continue to ride the bike. But, some free weights, a mini trampoline, yoga or fitness video games would be really good ways to get some work in while indoors.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I came here to say just this, body weight exercises, Denis was quicker. Have a look at

- plenty of tutorials/routines, all free. And if you like dancing, grab a few Youtube videos, crank that music up and start moving, it's fun! :) You'll get in shape and learn a few things to make you look good at those social events.

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    The best way to workout this winter is to do things that you can easily do at the comfort of your home.I think it is great idea to try out aerobics and yoga exercises. Also anything else that you are actually comfortable doing for instance dancing is a great idea.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's really cold outside and you can't go out, then you can't run. Of course you wouldn't want to be buying an equipment like a treadmill if your main concern is cut down the cost and going on the cheaper, but nonetheless, not inferior in terms of function, quality and what it can do in the body. So you can't run indoors. What to do. Another great alternative that comes into my mind every time savings and going cheap are discussed is by doing jumping ropes. If it is cold outside, no worries, because you would still be able to this inside your home. And how much does a jumping rope cost? Not much, right?

8. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    Home workouts are the best in my opinion, you get to be comfortable in your own home, you can work at your own pace and best of all it's free. YouTube has lots of workouts that fit anyone's pace and schedule, you can workout for as little as 10 mins a day. The most important thing about working out from home is make sure you stretch and working out in the safest possible way, meaning there is nothing you can trip and fall on and you are doing the exercises the correct way that will not harm you. Always try to eat right as well because it will help your energy level while you work out and drink plenty of water. Work out at your own pace and on your own terms, you have to want to do it for yourself.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To maintain a generally healthy body this winter, just remember this formula: 70% proper diet + 30% workout = ideal body. Because no matter how heavily you exercise, if you don't eat the right food, then everything's all for naught. For a no-cost workout, try putting up your own chinning bar at home. Find a metal pipe and fit it somewhere in your house where there's enough space to do pull-ups and other chinning bar exercises. Get an ordinary mat, spread it across your yard and start doing curl-ups, crunches or push-ups. You can also download free workout videos over the Internet to guide you through your workout session

10. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I love online videos. I like the site

, which is very easy to sort through and has TONS of free videos that you can filter by time, intensity, muscle target groups, equipment, etc, etc. I also like pilates and yoga vids (blogilates is a fave of mine, too!) as well as dancing/zumba tutorials. Makes you move inside, and with enough variety to phase away boredom!

11. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    I really like FitnessBlender as well, great workout videos also with the range of calories that you might be burning through those workouts. I also like videos by TheLeanMachines on YouTube as they are also quite good, and have good home workout ideas too.

Apart from that, I've also experimented with the "Insanity" workout videos which are basically intense cardio workouts and include a lot of plyometrics. I only really tried a few of their workouts but I still got good results after a few weeks of doing them regularly.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just buy a set of small weights for home use, and you're ready to go. You can spend less than $100 stocking your home up on basic fitness equipment. Then you won't have to buy a gym membership, and you can still get a quality workout from the comfort of your own home. It's as simple as that.

13. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m another fan of body weight/free weight exercises, plus yoga. Also if you have access to an indoor flight of stairs, you can get an excellent workout from that alone, it always works up a sweat for me. Jump rope is a similar option, I plan to get one at my earliest convenience. Inexpensive and effective.