How big is your trash can?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Oct 9, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have a small trash can, but recently I bought a 30 liter one and I can't be happier because I can use it comfortably at least for one day before I need to take it out. I guess that a family of 4 needs such a size trash can. Do you have a big or a small one?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I use a small trash can, big enough to fit the trash I produce across two days. Even so, I take the trash out daily. In the summer for example, because of heat, the trash tends to generate smell so it's better to get rid of it often. And in the winter, when you don't open the windows as often, I do the same. The only downside is my consumption of trash bags, good thing they're not that expensive.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess mine is medium sized, it uses 13 gallon bags. I don't want anything larger because it will be too much of a hassle to drag such a huge bag down to the dumpster. Plus, since my kitchen doesn't have any windows, the odors in there tend to linger, especially if I threw away food items or anything with raw chicken or pork juices on them. As much as I hate taking out the trash, the last thing I want is a huge trash bag splitting open on me as I'm carrying it down several flights of stairs.

Another issue is, with some of the buildings I've lived in, particularly high rise buildings, they have trash chutes that you throw your trash down, and larger bags will not fit in them.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    My trash can is quite small, but then again, I use multiple trash can to segregate the waste. All the recyclable waste is put in one can, the vegetable waste is put in another can and the rest is put in another can. I think this makes it possible for the trash can to last for an entire day. It is also the best way to recycle the waste.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    about 4 ft and 12 in in diameter, if I am not mistaken. Our trash can is not big, and lately we are planning to really have a bigger one, because of the rate of coming in of the garbage to it couldn't no longer match the disposal of the garbage from it. So the garbage ends up overflowing and as a result: a messy surrounding where the trash can is situated.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    We have three big trash cans at home. Garbage collectors don't go here every two days or so, so we need to a big one. Plus, big ones are much better because wild animals cannot climb on them easily.

7. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Not very big at all. It's about 4ft tall or so, it's pretty basic and nothing to fancy.. Don't really need a big one, never end up having that much garbage at the end of the week considering I have a small family.

8. La.Oui

La.OuiNew Member

Threads:
    Hi! I segregate too, so the trash cans I have in my house right now are relatively small. Although, I'd guess mine's a bit bigger than yours since I need them to last more than a day. Disposal comes in every three days where I live, that's why. :p

In terms of odor control, I've seen scented bags they sell in supermarkets. If not scented, there are those that you can seal off to avoid the reek. It's quite useful especially if you live in a small apartment.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Ours is a very small, partially because we just don't want to dedicate that much space to a giant trash can and partially because we want to take our trash to the trash shoot room every day rather than having it sit around in our apartment, and it's easier to motivate yourself to do so daily if the trash can gets full quickly.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have several thrash cans over here, 1 in each room and 1 on the front and back yard. The ones that are indoors are all small, but the thrash can in the backyard is an old pail, and the front yard thrash can is the biggest one made of rubber and it also has a cover.

11. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I use old grocery bags, the paper ones. Then I just take the whole thing out and drop it in the dumpster and set up a new bag in its place. It takes several days to fill one of those bags. We recycle as much as we can, so we probably fill up our recycling bag just as fast as the trash, sometimes even faster. We also have several little waste baskets in various rooms for out convenience.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a small trash can and like I mentioned it was pretty annoying because it became full all the time. I think that the 30 liter capacity is really ideal because it can last one day or two, considering we don't put there something that smells, in that case we need to close the bag immediately.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a small trash can in the kitchen and I use grocery bags in it, so I don't buy trash bags. Even if I run out of grocery bags to use as trash bags, there's usually some in the recycling bins ,so I can't remember the last time I bought trash bags. Rubbermaid makes a little trash can that is made to use grocery store bags.