Do you drink sport drinks after workouts?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by vennybunny • Oct 10, 2014.

1. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    Personally I like the taste of sport drinks, especially after a long cardio session. I find that it tastes much more refreshing than water and my stomach doesn't feel as bloated.

But I've heard that it isn't really necessary, especially if you've only been working out for less than a couple of hours.

What do you guys think? They're expensive, so I'm trying to lessen the amount I buy.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do my own work out at home and we don't have enough supply of sports drinks. When there's enough stock on the fridge, though, it's a refreshing feeling to drink one especially when I haven't drunk water since morning or I have to deal with my menstruation. Sports drinks can be a welcome respite after losing all those electrolytes and expending a lot of energy.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Nah, I simply drink some water or natural juice that I make myself and I'm done with the thirst. As a person that's exercising at home using body weight routines in order to avoid paying for the gym (cash issues atm) I'd rather not spend on energy drinks. I like the taste yes and how some of them make you feel (refreshed), but I don't like the fact that I have to pay for them :p

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like it but I wouldn't consider it a requirement. I do definitely like it a lot more than just drinking water after a workout though. Having the slightly flavored taste just makes it more enjoyable and a bit more thirst quenching. I initially didn't really believe in this product when I first saw an ad for it on Tv but when I got to try it I was sold. Still, like it said, it's not like water is that terrible anyway, especially if you're trying to save up.

5. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Weirdly enough, I like drinking sports drink primarily when I'm sick. It tastes amazing when I'm feeling ill for some reason, I guess because I'm so dehydrated and water is somewhat heavy when I'm sick. I don't drink sports drinks after a workout because I prefer to drink some sort of recovery drink. I usually buy a protein shake and take that, but in the occasions where I don't have protein shake powder I drink chocolate milk. It's delicious and it helps me recover much faster.

6. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I drink sports drinks during and after workouts. My favorite is powerade and I like it when its real cold it helps my body cool down and helps me workout longer. Since I started waist training I can say when I walk it helps to drink. On the other hand my sister doesn't beliven drinking while working out she says it slows down you workout and your putting weight on you body.

7. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I used to love sports drink when I played sports in high school, but I've moved away from them. I'll buy one occasionally if I find them on sale. I try to stick to just water when I'm working out. I'm not consuming extra calories and I love the taste of cold water.

I feel I was thirster when I was drinking Gatorade and I don't know if it actually ever "replenished" anything. Just my thoughts. I think that sports drinks are a waste of money but that is just me, I never felt that I got anything out of them.

8. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    No, and I really think they are a waste of your money, but to each his own...
    Water + drops of lemon juice + a bit of honey, is the way to go. Will hydrate the s&%$ out of you, and will cost you 500% less. (Yes, I actually did the math on this...)

"Gatorade Thirst Quencher contains water, sucrose (table sugar), dextrose, citric acid, natural flavor, sodium chloride (table salt), sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, and flavoring/coloring ingredients."

Sounds very healthy...

9. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    Oohh, chocolate milk! I would definitely try this. I'd take any excuse to drink chocolate milk. :))

It has protein, yes? Is that what helps with recovery? (I'm not very good at the science of working out I just like lifting once in a while)

10. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Nothing beats water after a long workout session. But for some reason, after playing basketball, I tend to go for sports drink. I also drink a protein shake after strength training.

11. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    Not everyone who exercises needs sports drinks . If you are not working out strenuously, such as cycling and distance running, then you wont likely need to drink a sports drink. But if you are doing over 60 minutes of exercise, a sports drink will help hydrate your body and replace electrolytes. How much sports drink you need to consume varies depending on the amount of energy you are expending, how much you sweat, and weather conditions,

12. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Not a requirement of course, but they're def good to have or during a workout. I prefer water during a workout and a sports drink after, but they are important as they replace a lot of the natural sugars and salt your body lost after your workout. For me, I play full-court basketball for my cardio and I'm often completly drained after I'm finished. So a Sports drink is an important part of my personal routine.

As others have said, depending on your level of activity during the workout, you might not need the sports drink and can cut it out of your budget. If your workout is just walking for 20 minutes, you'll probably be alright with not having them

13. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    I've recently discovered that convenience stores sell sports drinks as well, and it's priced the same as soft drinks when you buy it in a cup (Probably because they can't tell what you put in the cup easily) So I've started buying it there, since it's much cheaper. :)

14. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Actually, what helps with recovery, aside from the protein it has, is that it is a mix of protein, carbohydrates and just the right amount of sugar and salt to help your body recover. Aside from all that it also adds calcium to the mix, which isn't exactly a recovery component, but it definitely doesn't hurt since your bones benefit from it a lot. So if it's cheaper than a recovery drink where you live, chocolate milk will work just as well.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never acquired the habit of drinking sports drinks. It's never on my shopping list, I never get it. I always only have water and that is enough for me... I wish I would have sports drinks more often just because of what you mentioned - it makes you feel less bloated. I feel it does too!! With water if I exaggerate I feel too full,and can't max out on my workout.

16. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    So many calories, though. :)) I'd do this when I'm bulking again. Til then, it's water. :D And diet soda if I really can't help drinking something sweet. Or I'll drink low fat milk, if I can find a brand that doesn't taste too watered-down.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really? See I have never had this experience with any sports drink. Coffee often fails to 'pick me up,' too. I have always sort of thought that either it was a great sales pitch, or that I was just someone who those types of energy boosting drinks failed to work on. The only one that sometimes works is Monster. These drinks don't really help with giving me a boost though. I feel a little bit more awake. But I wouldn't go as far as saying that I have been boosted.

I stick to water. Water is amazing, and the sugar from it won't rot my teeth.

18. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I used to, but not so much any more. I usually just drink water these days, and sometimes have salty foods with it. I don't like the high sugar content of most of these sports drinks. I do like the taste though so I sometimes even drink them when not working out.

19. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's one thing I did forget to mention, it's better after a very intense workout because of its high caloric value. Still, I'm used to counting calories when I'm working out and I add in the chocolate milk so I stay below my goal. It's really not an issue unless you're planning on drinking a huge amount.

20. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't drink the mainstream sports drinks, but I do drink one after I lift and sometimes after a cardio session. It has the right percentage of protein and carbs and a bunch of other things that I truly do feel help me in recovery. Not to mention, it is absolutely delicious, so it's like the perfect reward for the work that I just put in.