Is Tupperware worth it?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Zyni • Oct 10, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had a few Tupperware pieces and they are really nice. Most of mine were gifts from a friend who used to sell the stuff. I don't generally buy it because even though I like the quality and convenience, I find it to be rather expensive. I generally use the cheaper storage containers. I also like the fact that if I need a container, I can just run to the store and by one.

2. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    You mean the actual brand Tupperware?
    I've never really tried those out, I don't think the price difference is justifiable when the dollar store containers do a good enough job to me.
    I think the last time I bought storage containers was 3 or 4 years ago, so the cheap ones are definitely good enough.

3. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I do not pay attention to how I story my food, a plastic wrap over my left overs will do just fine. But I have family members who use tupper wear. I can say without a doubt that the containers are quite strong and reliable, so if you are moving messy foods, it is an awesome thing to have. Usually, my family will store home made sauces into these containers and place them in the fridge. I have dropped one of these containers out of clumsiness. The lid was on and it remained intact, despite having dropped about five feet from the floor. A cheaper made container would have been a disaster.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is weird to me that people actually have a name for storage containers. Tupperware? Lol. I have heard of it before but had forgotten. In our household we don't buy tupperware. I usually order Chinese takeaway pretty often, and they come in convenient yet sturdy free containers that come with sturdier lids to keep food warm and easy to carry around. Other than that there are no other forms of storage for food. Unless we do a pie and bake it in a certain bowl. hen we just cover it over with foil or cling film.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think today there are more brands to choose from. I like Betty Crocker's range in the dollar store and Rubbermaid. They are so affordable either a pack of tow r three for a dollar is worth it. My favorite is the ziplock containers though with screw on lids. If I had tupperware or pyrex containers I would use them, but back then they were the only brands around. Today in the competitive market other manufacturers can provide cheaper versions that are as good quality.

6. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I do love Tupperware but their just so expensive! I love looking through their catalog but I just can't see spending that much for storage containers. I have gone to using mostly glass containers over the last year anyway and I really like them. They don't stain and they last for a long time. I do have a few pieces of Tupperware and I love it but just can't afford to replace all of my current storage containers unless they have a HUGE sale!!! ;) I know that won't be happening anytime soon.

Hope this helps,
    Danyel :)

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They do have nice stuff and some of it is pretty handy, like the one that let's you cook and drain ground beef in the microwave. As for storage though, I'll stick to my dollar store finds, I guess. I also save things like whipped topping bowls and margarine tubs. Those are perfect for leftover holiday food, because you can send stuff home with people in those and not have to worry about getting your container back.

8. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    I have lots of Tupperware---in my shop! I find the large containers at yard sales either free or for nominal prices and hey are great for storage. Yesterday i brought three inside to store our computer junk in, one for mice, one for cords and cables and one for chargers. The lids are great for setting plant pots on.

9. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I say no, only because I stopped using plastic for storage a few years ago. The only thing that I still use plastic for is my protein shakes and even then, I wish I had another option that didn't involve having to clean out a blender every day, multiple times.

10. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I dont have a brand of container that I use to store my food in . In my local grocery store I just pick up container they are usully a dollar and they work just fine. I store my food in the freezer and I go later to eat it and it work great food taste great I have no problem. I feel that it does matter what you store your food in Im not a big fan of brands.

11. roy835

roy835Member

Threads:
    I would say that it is worth it for some people because they just have certain preference. So, for them it would be worth it probably no matter what you say. But, I understand what you mean. Why spend more money than you have to? There are many products on the market that cost a certain amount that you can find something just as good or better for less. The reason for that is, in many cases people are paying for the name brand and not so much the quality of the product. It is like people paying $100 or more for some running shoes when you could get just as good or better for much less. In many cases it is just not worth it.

12. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I really like Tupperware brand as the pieces are much more sturdier then the cheaper stuff. I only own several Tupperware items because they are gifts. I can't afford buying it on my own so I just stick with the Dollar store brand. They last for a reasonable amount of time and are so much cheaper!

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I do really like Tupperware but I agree, it's just too expensive to justify for me as well...you can get containers that work just as well for a lot less. But if they were on a massive sale and I had some extra money on hand, I might still consider getting a few just because I do really like them :).

14. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I like tupperware, it's really easy to clean and store things, and it also really comes in handy when you're giving someone some kind of food, and you really don't have to worry about them giving it back, because it's pretty cheap.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tupperware brand storage products are more expensive than the similar products you can get on the open market. I like the product because it is more sturdy than most plastic storage products and can take the beating they get. I don't purchase Tupperware because it leaves the house and does not return. When the storage bowl is taken to a office for what ever reason, it does not come back home. Now I just get the cheaper stuff so when it does not come back home I am not upset.

16. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's okay to have the generic ones, it's not like they're going to go through some sort of quality stress test. It all comes down to storing food really so the only thing you have to consider is how spacious your fridge is, how much food you're storing and how much are you consuming.

But if you ask me I think they're really not worth the extra price because they're just for storing food, it's not like they have some sort of really advanced technology built in there.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I find them useful but I prefer the generic brands nowadays because there have been so many others that have popped up, most of which are almost disposable which I like. Tupperware containers are often bulky and thick whereas the cheaper brands just are transparent and still microwaveable so I just mostly stick to those so I could see the contents a lot easier and therefore don't have to be confused and disorganized.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if you want to compare the quality of the cheap brands and Tupperware, then it is advisable to buy at least 1 Tupperware to see if it really has an edge over the other brands. We have Tupperware over here but I also couldn't tell the difference between it and the cheap brands. They seem to function just the same.

19. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    General functionality for a typical storage container is about the same, however, Tupperware is of higher quality, and will last longer, in my opinion. They also have some neat items that go beyond simple storage. I really do like the products; I just think they are too pricey for my taste. As noted in a previous post, if there were a big sale, I'd be all over it.

20. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think it is worth it. I use some cheap single meal size storage containers when I make dinners to freeze and they last quite a long time even though they are very cheap. I also use old yogurt containers, the quart size, to store larger quantities of food. I have a whole stack of yogurt containers in my cupboard so I always have more then enough containers on hand. I don't really see the point in purchasing storage containers when you can just reuse things like that.