Are movies out now mostly bad?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Mayvin • Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I use to really be into going to the movies but now its really a RARE occasion that you'll catch me in a movie theater because honestly they're mostly crap. The violence, the language, the weak rehashed movie plots. And with the prices of a movie ticket now it doesn't seem even worth the time honestly.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True. It does seem like nothing is original anymore. That's probably why I find myself watching a lot of foreign films. At least, those are creative. I also seem to have somewhat of a multicultural sense of humor, if that makes any sense. I like the comedy of a lot of different countries, even if most Americans wouldn't get it.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's an overstatement to say movies that are out now fall into the category of "bad." I admit a lot of them are violent, have poor dialogue or rehashed. However, this is why you need to read reviews or at least research more about the director, screenwriter and the actors playing it. I also try to expand my options by not limiting myself to Hollywood movies. I go for foreign films like those Cannes winners, Korean or Japanese box office hits and indie movies.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, you are correct in saying that the movies are overrun with violence. My favorite film that I felt was worth seeing in the theatres this year was, 'Guardians of the Galaxy'. However, it was filled with fight scenes and 'alien laser shooting' (I'm not sure what they call their pretend guns). So for someone who doesn't want to see violence in a film, I do not think I could honestly recommend it. The few others I saw were sleepers - not necessarily violent but like you also mentioned, not worth the outrageous price of the ticket. I think action films look better on big screen and romantic films are better viewed at home, underneath a blanket, with a glass of wine. Cartoons are good to take kids too in the summer. (I saw How To Train Your Dragon II and that was also a good big screen pic!)

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean, not all of them are bad, per se, but a lot of them are not memorable or remarkable. They're also losing their originality, making it even harder to leave a lasting impression. I've become more cynical to modern day cinema.

6. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    They're not terrible, but a) they're not worth paying theater-prices to see, because b) the theaters are only good for 'getting surrounded by the movie's reality (like in sweeping aerial shots over mountains, or in giant action sequences of huge creatures fighting gargantuan robots etc.)'

But if you can get them for cheap/free at home, most of them are good tools for keeping your imagination active.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I doubt if the slate of movies out right now are any worse than they've ever been at any other time. People have a tendency to wax poetic about a time for movies, music or whatever and oftentimes make what they grew up on much better than they really were. Very few movies have ever been worth what one needs to pay to see one nowadays.

8. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Not all movies out now are bad...
    What happens is that, in today's market there's A LOT more movies being made, and A LOT of them suck.
    But there are still wonderful, great movies being done. You just have to take the time to find them...

This isn't the 60's and 70's... That's for sure.

9. TheKid

TheKidNew Member

Threads:
    I like the movies now a day, good story line plus great graphics but I am not fond of going to the theatre. Firstly the movie tickets are really expensive and I don't even want to mention the over-priced snacks! It's insane. I find it much more comfortable to download/stream the movie I want to watch and then watch it in the comfort of my own home.

10. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    You remind me of myself. As a teenager, I use to go to the movies all the time. Now, I rarely go to spend my money at the theatres. The last film I saw was Catching Fire last year. The Hunger Games: Mocking Jay Part 1 is the only film I plan to see when it comes out. I prefer independent films over mainstream blockbusters. Sometimes I will watch a hit film on HBO and I can figure out how the storyline will go as the movie progress. Overall, I don't think all films are crappy nowadays. It's just the ones receiving the most hype are the ones to underwhelm me.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    They're really not all that bad, but most of them are just there for the money and not the art. But this has been happening for years, even way back when going to the movies is still a thing. For the most part, I do think that most movies that are released today aren't as good as the ones back when I was a bit younger but occasionally good movies would pop out of nowhere. Now all I look forward to when it comes to movies are those that came from great directors, Nolan, Fincher you name it.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't classify them all as "bad."

I'd have to admit, of course, that 80% of the movies fall in that category but the genre I normally watch "animation" always has something good out each year. For those who say movies aren't all that great, I'd suggest trying to watch indie movies. They usually have better story-lines because the budgetary constraints demand that they rely more on the story to entertain their audiences.

13. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I feel like it's exactly the same as years ago. There will always be a lot of bad movies and only a few masterpieces in a given year. It was the same back in the 60s and 80s, only a few movies were great, but most were bad or decent. The difference now is that we look only at the great movies from those years, which makes it seem like movies nowadays are worse.

14. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I also go out to the movies less but that's just because the tickets and popcorn are just too expensive nowadays, it's not an acceptable amount to spend for a simple night out.
    The last one I watched was Guardians of the Galaxy and had a fantastic time though, the next one I'm watching is probably the new Star Wars.

15. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think so. I think it's more of a matter that you have to be picky to what you go watch and maybe do a little bit of research before paying the movie ticket price. Sometimes, even just watching the trailer will give you a good idea about how cheesy or bad a movie might be.

For me though, I just don't go to the movies much anymore because the price has gotten so crazy. For my movie ticket, popcorn and a drink, it almost comes out to like $20 or more!

16. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are they creative, or are you just seeing the few per year that make it to international distribution for being unusual enough to get people watch them? Think about that.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree that it's probably a lot more difficult now to come up with original plots since lots of movies have already been made at this point, all mostly telling the same basic story, so the makers are probably finding it harder and harder to make their product unique enough to appeal to a more critical audience which is probably why they are now mostly turning to adaptations and reboots. I still do come across a few hidden gems now though and for that I am thankful, because at least I know that not everyone in the industry has given up or run dry.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think all the movies being released nowadays are bad, they just lack originality and have become predictable once you've seen too many of them. I enjoy the special effects too, and if you compare it to old movies that lack believable special effects and even those that were released in the 80's and before the 80's, then I must say there has been a significant improvement overall.

19. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    A majority of movies that are produced these days aren't worthy of the heightened price tags at the movie theaters, nor the cost of what you want to buy at the concession stand to snack on while watching. I only go to the movies selectively for movies I know will deliver and end up being the spectacle I expect it to be like Planet of Apes, Hunger Games and now The Maze Runner. But there are many other movies that you will see somewhere for free and thank your lucky stars that you didn't waste money to see it in a cinema. Hell, I've seen some independent films that I liked better than some of the big theater releases.

20. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    I tend to see more "good" movies lately because I like to research a movie a little bit before watching. One of the most feelings in the world is taking a chance on a movie that seems interesting only to want your money back at the end of it. Most Hollywood blockbusters try more to entertain than deliver quality film making if that makes sense. Transformers is the perfect example of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.