What do you wear to a job interview?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by lrd913 • Oct 12, 2014.

?

Do you put a lot of thought into how you will look for an interview?

1. Yes, I always want to look my best.

94.7%
  2. No, I don't really put thought into it.

5.3%
  3. I wear jeans and a t-shirt for interviews.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't have a job.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I'm always torn about what to wear and I'm sure that I'm not alone.

Personally I hate wearing skirts or dresses unless I absolutely have to. That being said, I usually go for a pair of black or grey dress pants and a button-up dress shirt. I might throw a blazer over to give it a dressier vibe.

I usually wear flats or a small kitten heel. I'm already 5'9 and I hate towering over people as it is.

What do you usually wear to an interview? Does the job you are interviewing for influence how you dress in any way?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the company you are applying to. However, I usually go for a dress. I don't mean summer dresses though. Business dresses. If the company is implemented a strict dress code, then I will wear a blazer to make myself look formal.

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I always dress up nicely no matter what company I applied for, usually pretty business-casual. A fancy shirt, some nice dress pants, and black sneakers or dress shoes, depending on how i'm feeling. I think it's important to make a good first impression.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First impressions matter. For most jobs you'll be expected to wear the same kind of clothing you'd don to the workplace. For example, for most jobs, you'll be expected to be in a suit.

In fact, the unwritten rule is that you should be in formal wear of sorts when you're being interviewed for a job. It's definitely not the occasion to show your prospective employers that you have a unique style of dress. Get the job first, then go for it.

5. La.Oui

La.OuiNew Member

Threads:
    I agree. I also take into account what type of company it is. Every business has certain expectations regarding the people they want working for them and if you want to get hired, you have to exude that energy. Something important that must be taken into account, though, is your level of comfort in the clothes that you're wearing. Make sure that it is appropriate for the company you're applying for, but you still have to be comfortable in it. You wouldn't want to look tense or stiff on an interview!

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have always made sure I looked clean and nice for a job interview. I don't dress up excessively, but I want to look professional. I even make sure I look professional when I go to obtain or turn in an application. I think it helps tell the management that you are serious about your work and want to take the time to make a good first impression. I know some managers won't care, especially if you are applying for an entry level position in something like fast food or grocery, but I still feel better about myself by doing this.

7. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Come on... Who doesn't? That's if you want to get the job...
    It's like when you want to impress a girl. You only want her to see the best side of you.

On the other hand, overdressing can be pretty ridiculous also...
    Interviewing for a call-center job in a suit if you're not over 35. That my opinion.

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I end up wondering about that a lot, too, I don't dress up on very many occasions, so I often end up worrying that I'll come off a bit overdone. I think if you stick with simple and classic, though, it won't look bad. I do similar to what you do- black dress pants, nice formal top and generally a blazer as well. I don't really think interviews are the right time to try and show off fashion sense or personal expression too heavily, but rather just make a nice clean-cut impression.

9. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    This is a really good point. Comfort is essential to feeling good during an interview. When I worked in retail I was an Assistant Manager and helped out with hiring sometimes. You can tell right away when someone isn't comfortable because it shows in their actions. I remember interviewing prospective employees and just seeing them shifting around because they were uncomfortable in their outfits. I always tried to put people at ease, but it's hard when they are already nervous. That's why I try to be comfortable during interviews. I'm not a fan of dresses or skirts, so that is why I opt for dress pants. I feel more confident because I am comfortable in my own skin when I am in an outfit that makes me feel good.

10. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:

Hey that what I wear. As for me, I don't care much about standing out of the crowd. Just dress to look formal. All the points I score is in the PI. Yes, only thats the real deal.

11. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    So true! I want comfort over standing out in the crowd. It shouldn't really matter how I am dressed, if I am right for the job it shouldn't be an issue. I won't wear jeans but I also won't make myself look like something I'm not. If I interview well than I think that should be the focus. Interviews are awkward already, I want to look and feel like myself during them.

12. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    A suit for any office job. Smart casual for any manual job. I would probably wear a suit if in doubt though. I think that the person hiring cares about it a lot less than you think they do. Performance in interview and your resumé is going to trump what you wear on the day. I've turned up for an interview in smart casual and been hired on the spot to start immediately.

13. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    I try to wear something neutral, not too garish, but I believe it's crucial to be able to express some part of personality via your wardrobe choices. So with the neutral outfit, I'm probably going to wear a bold piece of jewelry. Also, I will leave the perfume off for that day, as you never know if what you're wearing might be offensive to the employer.

14. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I always dress formally for interviews in business attire unless a point has been made that the interview is informal or the working environment/company are relaxed. I think it is important to show that you were bothered enough to make the effort. I would not feel comfortable turning up for an interview in jeans and a t-shirt. I will admit on the other hand there has been times where I have felt over dressed because the other candidates were dressed casually but still glad I made the effort.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not very particular with how I look even when I go on job interviews. My type of work doesn't really require physical assets. Employers tend to judge me based on my abilities. lthough I do my best to wear clean and presentable clothes. Perhaps I'll smarten and clean up nicely when it's a job interview invitation by a multinational company. Most of the companies I've been to tend to be casual.

16. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    When I have a job interview I normally wear business casual type of clothing. Business slacks with business button up shirts. I believe your appearence has to above adverage in order to appear professional. Most people do not take the time to prepare for job interviews which I believe is a mistake because most employers look forward to a professional first impression. Thay way they can tell what type of work ethic you are willing to bring to their business atmosphere.

17. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    You know the saying "dress to impress". How you present yourself tells your employer how you are going to be. Khakis and a button up should be fine. Just do not dress to well such as wear a tux to a job such as the movie theaters because it is obvious you are desperate for the job if you go in like that.

18. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    I think it would actually be awesome if someone turned up for an interview in a tuxedo!! You certainly would want to find out more about them, the mind-set which would inspire one to show up like that.

19. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    In my last interview I wore a dressy shirt with sheer frills and a slight pattern for interest. Just like you, I wore a pair of dark slacks and dress shoes to pair with the top. Nothing too formal, but not casual either. Truly it all depends on the job. Since I was applying for an office position I dressed slightly dressier than I would expect my everyday work outfit to be.

20. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Auditions and Interviews

I come from a family with theatrical backgrounds. We don't usually dress up for something unless it's for an audition. We used to have brands sponsoring our everyday utilities but then I guess they forgot about us.

I don't wear fancy clothes during a job interview, because I have never attended a job interview. I had mainly internships, and we weren't required to dress down or anything, but most of those who survived the initial interviews were aiming for comfort at the work place. So, it's t-shirt and jeans all day every day. I like working online also because we get to dress up for our video interviews, but I don't think I would dress up as something that is not me. For work I always go for safety first and then prestige, and then status statement.

#20Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014