Will you use real money on PC games?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by chiofthenorns • Oct 12, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I was wondering if you guys are willing to use real money on online games. I know a lot of people who do this. If you do, how much do you spend per month? Is it worth it?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently read a story about a kid who spend around 1,000 pounds to buy in-game weapons for a game he was playing on his dad's iPhone or Tablet can't recall exactly which of the two it was. The family was so upset that but Apple decided to return the money the kid had spent. It's a lesson we should all learn. A game should be complete without [someone]having to pay for upgrades or whatever. Why should you pay more for other extras?

3. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't play much games but I wouldn't use my money to buy in game objects or anything.

I used to play some games when I was younger that where a little addictive and I had to stop because I wasted too much time. I imagine if I ever did purchase something in the game it would have tempt me to do it again and again. And that would be a huge waste of hard earned money. I'm glad I didn't do it back then.

Now that I'm more mature the idea of spending money on games seems so wrong. Like there's so much other good things that you could do with that money.

4. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I'm a gamer and I have spent numerous times to buy games and even "power-ups" in-game. If you have the money for it then why not? As long as more important things aren't compromised, then I see nothing wrong about spending money for games. It's no different from arguing about spending money for drinks, cigarettes, movies, etc.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For certain games it makes sense. It really depends on what you're talking about. DLC packages are something that gamers have come to accept. Likewise, certain games run on a subscription-based model, and millions of people have shown a willingness to pay such monthly access fees. I'm not such a huge fan of pay to win games, though, or games that just throw in microtransactions to make more money off the players.

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yea absolutely. In reality, if you're not buying a bunch of console games every month, then paying a $15 subscription for your gaming budget every month isn't very expensive at all. I've played World of Warcraft on and off for the past 4-5 years, and really is the only game that I've consistently paid money for, other than the ocassional Madden/Super Smash/Mario Kart release. If you keep your spending budget in context and don't get too crazy, gaming has actually become really affordable for how many hours you can get out of certain games.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing I'll buy is DLC. I don't buy boosters or power ups or any type of speeding up the time kind of thing. If I'm that attached to the game where I can't play through, then I need to put the game down completely. I'm almost done with the available levels in Candy Crush and I've never paid a cent for anything in that game. They gave away 30 gold blocks and I spent those, but outside of that, I'll just wait for tickets and time to come my way.

8. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Depends...what do you mean online games?

Games like in your smart phone app? Never. I would never spend money on that.
    Games like neopets or other sites like that? Nope, wouldn't either.

The only "online" game I would spend money on is Sims but even then that's not technically online.

It's just a huge waste of money, I think. I would MAYBE consider for online MMORPG but even then that's pushing it a bit.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Luckily, I was never fond of those online games where you had to pay to upgrade your character, so I confidently say that I will never do it. I'm content with GTA and other similar games.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm okay with paying for games upfront but I am a bit hesitant to pay for upgrades within the game. If I liked the game enough and the item or upgrade were good enough and came at a cheap price then I'd consider it, but otherwise I'd much rather just enjoy the game without having to pay further. I don't have anything against developers and game companies doing this but some of them tend to go a bit overboard with it.

11. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I will never spend money on "premium currency" or "energy" in most phone games like Farmville or Clash of Clans. In fact I tend to uninstall such games a few minutes after playing them, it's just completely not worth the time or money investment. I know some people who regularly spend a hundred dollars every month on such games - you could easily buy a few AAA titles on release for the same price, and I'm certain they would give much more fulfillment and playtime!

I have spent money on cosmetics in games like DotA 2 and CS:GO. My rationale behind it is that I can sell them back on the Community Market for minimal loss after I tire of them, so there is no real consequence to buying them on characters that I wish to pimp up.

12. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even keep track of the money that I spend buying games on Steam. The discount seasons are a curse for my wallet man! hey wind up being empty most of the time when there are discounted games on offer.

13. enell

enellMember

Threads:
    Well, I'm a big fan of tablet games, specially games by Ubisoft company! And I love to play the free games which also includes buying some money games with real cash, so I can buy weapons and upgrades and other stuffs that the games provide with money!! To be honest, when it comes to the amount I spend in each game I play, it is really worth it! I'll give you an example, the game of Asphalt:Airborne, It's an amazing cars game, that has an amazing free cars and also a group of cars that needs to be purchased, and some of the groups prices are really expensive, but they're worth it, because, if you are a GAMER, then you'll diffidently won't regret a dime that you've wasted in a game that you loved, no matter how much the amount you wasted!

14. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Same, I have 400+ games on Steam! To be far the discounts given during Steam Summer and Winter sales are substantial, usually 50-75% off. Also, with the advent of Steam Trading Cards and the Steam Community Market, you can get back some money by selling the card drops from compatible games.

Another reason for my massive Steam backlog is Humble Bundle, Indiegala, Bundlestars and Groupees. By packaging usually 5-10 games into a 5 dollar bundle, they are giving great value for money and an awesome opportunity to discover hidden indie gems that I otherwise would never have bought.

15. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    It's just not worth it to me. That's money I could use to go out and actually socialize with real people in the real world rather than spend it on a farm that will never benefit me. It's fun to play those games for sure! I enjoy playing some of those games and I will continue to play them. I just won't spend money on them. I have already done it for Candy Crush and that was proof enough that it's a waste of money.

16. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    I will usually spend around $200 on some video games that I really like (for example, the summer sale on Steam) to get some stuff or in-game items that I really want. For example, League of Legends has some pretty good skins that they come out with every year (the Championship skins) and Counter Strike: Global Offensive has some pretty good-looking weapon skins as well. Finally, I sometimes use Steam to gamble a bit (haha) by using some of my CS:GO skins betting on professional teams. However, if I lose it all, I don't buy more. That's that.

17. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Likewise for me! The good thing about games like DotA and CS:GO is that you can get cosmetic drops as you play, which you can choose to keep, bet or sell. Buying new cosmetics also isn't much of an investment since you can sell it back on the Community Market for minimal loss. I think that Valve made a pretty good call, allowing cosmetics to be freely traded and sold between players, since they take a small cut per transaction performed on the Community Market.

18. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I ever spent money on extra things and I'm not sure I ever will. I can see spending for DLC but whatever is there already is usually sufficient enough for me. The closest I have ever come is stuff packs for Sims.

19. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think so. Not for in-game purchases. I would purchase accessories or toys outside of the game play, for example if I happen to discover nice deals in their online stores. Gifts and collectibles are more likely than making purchases inside the game.

I have been hearing rumors that people are getting extra income from playing games with Xbox. :p Not as a game tester, but just for playing games online in a community. I don't know how it works, though. It's more likely that I would purchase additional stuffs for the purpose of making money out of the time I spend on playing games online.

20. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even spend much *time* playing online games, I can't imagine spending actual money on it. But it seems that plenty of people do...and who hasn't heard by now plenty of stories of kids jacking up a huge bill on their parents credit cards with that kind of nonsense?