Winow seat vs. the isle on planes?

Discussion in Travel started by Mayvin • Oct 13, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't done a lot of flying but when I have I've always liked looking out the window during flights. I guess because I'm not deathly afraid of flying I could manage to like looking out the window but I'm sure that's not the case for many other people. On the other hand with the isle seat you don't have to crawl over other people to get to the bathroom (yet people are crawling over you). So what do you like? The isle or the window better?

2. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is an easy one, I prefer the window seat anytime because I love to see the views, no way I'd spend hours on the isle if I have the option to be seated with a view. Traveling with kids most likely I will have to give them those seats though.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always get a window seat as I like to lean my head against the wall. I never use the bathrooms so I rarely get up, I like to settle in and fall asleep and do my own thing. I do get annoyed at people that have to get up every few minutes to get things from the overhead or go to the bathroom.

I try to choose my seat online as soon as possible and if I can't get a window they I would do an aisle a the back and then ask when I check in to see if they can change.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be terrified of flying so I would opt for an isle seat. I hated sitting on the isle. I can tolerate flying now, but I just don't look out the window during take-off. I can tolerate looking out the window when the plane is cruising and landing. It's just the take-off that gets me.

5. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    Flying has become such a chore, there used to be a time when it was fun, even glamorous, but now, being treated like a criminal before you even get on the plane, then being subjected to all manner of nut-bags and sub-humans when you're on the craft, it's just too much.

That being said and to answer your question, if you're flying, especially if it's transatlantic the BULKHEAD seat is the one to go for, you will have no one sitting in front of you and as much leg room as you would get in First Class, if I can't get this seat when I book, I don't fly.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    No contest here, I'll always try for the window seat ;). 9 times out of 10 I manage to not need to get up for the bathroom in flight, and even so, I'd rather brush past others a time or two than have others pushing past me god knows how many times. & I don't get to fly very often, but I really love it and love being able to see out the window the entire time.

7. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Has to be the window seat. I love looking out of the window whilst flying. Also in agreement with the whole not really using the bathroom and not having people constantly shuffling past. Also I like being in my own little corner and doing my own thing. I would hate to be in the middle of an aisle I don't like being squashed in.

8. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Haha! very good thread! Hmm, If it was possible to switch seats on a flight here's what I would do, lol, I would take the window seat just before takeoff and shortly after takeoff and then switch to the seat in the isle during the rest of the flight, here's my reason why; I get to see all the beautiful things of the Earth shortly before and shortly after takeoff with the window seat :-D but after all that has past and the flight becomes "boring", then what? lol, seating at the window seat is tantamount to seating in the seat at the isle, there's no drama going on in either place so it makes no difference, lol, anyway, I love the plane and I wish they'd make a plane that is completely translucence, c'mon engineers!!!!

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    As much as possible, I always choose window seats. I do not like seating near the aisle because I hate it when my elbows get bumped by careless passengers or the food cart. It's just really annoying. I want to be comfortable as much as possible especially if I am travelling for a long time.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I hate flying, but I do prefer the window to the aisle. With the window, you have a wall next to you so you can lean sideways if you like. I am so incredibly uncomfortable in airplane seats, they curve my spine in a way that pushes my shoulders forward, so I like to be able to adjust my position a lot so I don't feel like my body is getting stuck and tight in an uncomfortable position. Way too often I have ended up with the middle seat...

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to prefer window seats in the past, but that's only because I wasn't flying a lot in those days. Nowadays, I always choose an aisle seat, as the frequency and duration of my flights have increased and become longer. Sitting near the aisle enables me to get up any time I like and walk around for a while and stretch. Also, I tend to get dehydrated on planes and always drink a lot of water, which means that I also have to use the bathroom a lot. It's a real bother if I have to climb over other people every other hour to get to the toilet.

12. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I always like taking the window seat when I fly. I like looking out the window when it's taking off and seeing everything get smaller and smaller as we ascend. I think window seats are preferred by most people because of the view and the fact that it's less bothersome since you don't have to move if someone else wants to get out of their seat.

13. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I much prefer the window seat, it's all advantages.
    You get the great view, which by itself is enough to pick it, but you also don't have people bothering you to go to the bathroom.
    I don't think being on the aisle is an advantage when it comes to bathroom trips, you are the one who is being bothered.

14. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    Ask and ye shall receive!

They already have a plane built, where the whole of one side is completely see-through, it's not in commercial production...yet. and they are looking to build one where both sides are, I think I'd find this a little bit un-nerving, I need the feeling of enclosure so I can pretend I'm on a bus, if I can see completely what's going on around me it might freak me out ,it would be floating in the sky in a seat. I'm sure some would find this appealing though.

15. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer to have a window seat. Fortunately every single flights I've taken apart from my last one was where I had a window seat. I just find myself leaning over and looking out of the window anyway. It's easier to get of your seat I suppose but I would prefer a window seat.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am very difficult when it comes to seats, and that goes for planes, buses, trains etc. I always like to sit in the window seat and will get terribly cranky if I don't! It's almost like I feel like a failure if I don't get the window seat!!! I have begged them before to find me a window seat when they were booked, and I always make sure to book my trips way before so I can get the seat I want!

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer the window so that I can look out the window as we are traveling. I also like the window seat so that people do not have to crawl over me when they need to get out of the seat for some reason. I sat in a lane seat on a very crowded plane, the stewardest poured a cold drink down my front as she was fixing drinks.

18. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Window seat is always the best - regarding safety, it is usually the back-end of a plane that lasts the longest if a plane disintegrates in mid-air or crashes on a surface - because I can see all the wonders outside the plane, instead of viewing all the other boring passengers. Although, I do not mind the beautiful womans acting as flight attendants and the single ladies traveling aboard the same plane flight, otherwise, I'll stick to myself and my window seat. Also, if I ever get the money, I'm buying a parachute to carry-on for the plane flights I shall be traveling on, because you never know when a plane will suddenly decompress and rip apart - safety is my primary concern in any traveling activity.

19. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    When we fly as a family there are 6 of us. Me and my husband normally both sit on the isle so we can talk on the trip. He sits with the 2 boys and I sit with the 2 girls. That way we can monitor the kids but still enjoy being together. I guess I would rather have the isle even when traveling alone. I like the access if I need to get up and I always feel bad always asking the person to move. :)

Danyel :)

20. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer having the window seat, but you make a VERY good point when you mention having to worry about crawling over people to get to the restroom. Then again, you make yet again another point that when you're in the isle seat you have others crawling over you to get to the bathroom. It's an awkward choice. Yet another reason why I like flying with people I know so I can avoid that awkwardness.