Cats and the Cold

Discussion in Pets started by roy835 • Oct 14, 2014.

1. roy835

roy835Member

Threads:
    Here's the deal. I found a cat with kittens at my apartment complex back in the early spring of this year, 2014. The mom took really good care of them and now they are much bigger (looking very healthy) running around the place doing their own thing. I did not bother to try to bring them inside because when I first noticed them it was already starting to warm up outside and they seem to be doing very well at the time. Over the months I would give them water and food, mostly dried food that they eat. They are now much bigger (still not fully grown though) and seem to be doing very well. But now, it is starting to get cold again and I am really wondering about them of how well they would handle the winter cold because I am almost certain that I will not be able to bring all of them inside, if any. So, can I get some feedback about this? How well do cats and kittens handle cold weather like winter cold type of weather??

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the wild, cats can survive cold weather . . . for a short time. Should it get too cold, since they're not adapted to living in such conditions they'll die. If you're concerned about the cats, you have two options:

Take them to an animal shelter or adopt them.

3. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    I would imagine that naturally, since they've been living outside already, they would adapt to the cold weather somewhat. If it got to cold though, I don't think they would be any better off outside than any other mammal. Maybe find a GOOD pet store to take them to. Some want to have more animals in their stores, but they are counting on others to bring them in. That would at least keep them safe. The only other options are finding them a home yourself, taking them in or the animal shelter (this would be my last resort). I hope the kitties stay safe. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

4. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I am surprised you have not contacted the authorities over this, some cats do live outside such as feral cats but the winter can be hard on them. Hypothermia can be an issue for cats just as it can for humans in extreme temperatures.

Cats living outside will need extra food to help their bodies cope better with the cold, you will also need to make sure their water doesn't freeze, a container that is deep and wide will be better insulated. My advice though would be to inform the authorities or take them to an animal shelter, their lives could be at risk if the cold is severe.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's been a while since this thread was posted. I'm just wondering how are the kittens now? How many are they and did you take them in? What did you do to them in order for them not to suffer from winter? If you know people who love cats, then you can offer the kittens to them if they would like one.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cats with heavier fur like the Persians and Scottish Folds would not easily get cold. In fact, these cats are more suited to temperate climates. Their fur will protect them well. On one hand, ordinary street cats with thinner fur and furless ones like the Sphinx are quick to catch a cold. Unlike us humans who could just walk around with a flu, infected cats would show signs of fatigue and slowing down. Before the cold takes a turn for the worse, it's best to administer a few drops of vitamin C. After some time, let the infected cat drink antibiotic.

7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I've been so busy being paranoid about my dog & this crazy dog flu that it started to stir a concern about my cat. They're indoor cats so I suppose it would be difficult for them to contract a cold/flu.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Please do not take them to a pet store! You need to take them to a shelter where they will be fixed and adopted out. They could very well survive the winter.. but only to end up reproducing and contributing to the problem cat population and I promise you, many will die in the long run. Do them a favour and rescue them.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say that they are acclimatized and used to the cold. And if that's not the case, they are on their way to adapting to it. There are big cats in the wild who have obviously adapted to all kinds of climates, from arctic to tropical.
    I hope you'll be able to find good homes for them.

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Far too many pet owners fail to realize that cats are very capable at surviving outside as far as the elements are concerned. In fact, you're not supposed to shave a cat's fur during the summer months because the coat actually helps insulate them from heat. It insulates them from the cold too, in a much more effective manner than most people realize. They can survive in snow, though temperatures much lower than a little snow can cause them some trouble.