Do you buy yourself Presents?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Oct 14, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you ever pick up a little gift for yourself while your out doing your Christmas shopping? Or maybe something you've had your eye on shows up in a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale. I don't usually buy something that's just for me personally, but I have picked up some things we needed during holiday specials. I know people who do buy themselves gifts though.

2. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. I don't really by myself much to be honest and when I do for some reason I have a slight sense of guilt about it. I don't know why. I prefer to by my daughter or others things. I like to see their face light up when they get something they have wanted or liked its nice. I think my treat is buying stuff for the house and going on a big shop and filling the fridge and the cupboards it genuinely makes me happy to see them bursting. Sad but true :)

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Supposing you were to buy the gift, do you wrap it up and open in on Christmas day, if say you get it as a Christmas gift? Anyway, much as I could buy myself something during Christmas season, I wouldn't consider it a gift because if I badly needed something I'd just go ahead and get it. I'm like that, I never deny myself anything good.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess there are times I treat myself because I'm worth it and makes me feel good. Sometimes you need to! I treated myself to a leather journal once, an expensive one and the cashier wrapped it up and asked who it was for. I said 'Me' and she said, "Good a gift for yourself." I felt I deserved it and my memories did as well. It was a Pineider!

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol, no, I wouldn't wrap it and open it on Christmas. I didn't mean something I need badly, rather something I could use. I wouldn't refuse myself something I needed badly. For example, computer stuff that was on sale during the holidays last year. Nothing I really had to have, but something nice to have, and I got a great deal. I wouldn't have even thought to make the purchase at that time if it hadn't been for the great offer. It just got me thinking about some people I know who buy gifts for themselves as they shop for others.

6. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    Every year I go on this one website and have this company send me clothes for $60. I do not know what I will receive, but I usually end up liking it.

7. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah, sometimes I decide to treat myself with a gift during Christmas shopping depending on how much cash I have left at my disposal after the bills have been cleared, I've gotten something for some of my close ones and I've put down budget towards Christmas dinner. Last year I treated myself to a new phone by upgrading to the Galaxy S4 through my mobile service provider. It was much needed too because my old phone was becoming a pain.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, sometimes I do treat myself to a something special. I don't count anything that I need. It's usually something that I have been wanting, but didn't want to spend the funds to buy it for myself.

No, I don't wrap it up and place it under the Christmas tree. I start using and enjoying it right away.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I buy most personal items during Christmas because that's when most products are on sale. I usually save up my money and plan my purchases in the months leading up to Christmas, and I don't always get to stick to my budget but I at least roughly am able to do so. I do this not only to gift myself but also I just consider it as doing bulk of my shopping during one time of the the year and it just happens to be during the holidays. I still buy things during the rest of the year, of course.

10. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I purchase myself gifts while I'm out shopping for others. There is nothing wrong with adding yourself to the list of getting presents. This year, I put a layaway in with 3 cheaper tablets but with updated running systems for my online jobs. I'm all the time working on apps so that was a good investment for me. I do make sure that everyone I'm buying gifts for are took care of, though.

11. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go so far as to call it something special or a gift, I just buy something for myself with no qualifiers, shame or hard fought justification. It's my money and I want it. I did once have a saleslady mumble, "another selfish shopper" when she asked if I needed a box. I wasn't even offended, but highly amused that she was bothered by me having the temerity to buy something for myself during the month of December.

12. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    I would have to say no. I am a really big giver and find it hard to buy anything for myself. Times when I do but something for myself I end up giving it to one of my daughters anyway so what's the point. During the holidays it is even worse as I will go without to make sure the ones I love and care for get all they desire. Some people say I'm silly because I'm so giving but I honestly believe that one day all of my giving will come back to me ten fold in positive blessings.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, that's interesting. I've never heard of such a thing. So, how does it work? You just send in your size and they randomly pick out stuff for you? Do you get to see what options they will choose from fist or is it all strictly random? How did you even find a site like this? Sorry for all the questions, but you made me very curious about this. Never heard of anything like this before.

14. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Not really. I mean, I will buy myself something from time to time but I don't go out of my way around Christmas time to find myself something.

15. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I do. I don't like shopping, but it's nice to reward yourself especially after accomplishing something. Even little things go a long way such as buying your favorite ice cream or going to the movies.

16. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do, and I feel kind of bad about it sometimes, like I'm being so self centered I'm getting myself stuff too and not focusing on others like I am supposed to. I guess it's not really that bad, I mean there are really great deals that just happen to be at that time of year, but on the other hand I don't feel like I should have so much stuff. This year I definitely won't, I barely have enough money to get by with getting really inexpensive gifts for my family. I'm probably going to have to just bake something for people rather than actually buy gifts is money turns out to be as tight as my estimates suggest.

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Back when I used to actually go out christmas shopping, yes. Especially when my friends and I would get together and make a day out of it. We would at the very least treat ourselves to a really nice lunch or dinner with cocktails at some place that is normally out of our budgets, and just splurge. Hell, most of the time, the party lasted all the way into the evening and as soon as we dropped all our bags of gifts off at home, we would freshen up and hit the bars.

The worst was when I would go to the outlet stores, there are entire plazas full of them in our neck of the woods. I would see all kinds of kitchen crap and clothing that I wanted too. Colognes are another downfall for me.

The past several years though I've done almost all of my shopping online instead since I wasn't able to drive for a few years and had no choice. Plus many of my friends have since settled down with their own families and partners, so we aren't all partying as much anymore.

18. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do. I used to go all out, and buy myself expensive gifts, but these days I'm happy with less expensive things that I've had my eye on for a while. I think we all deserve a treat now and then, and I buy gifts for others, so why not afford myself the same courtesy? ;)

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Around the holidays, I usually do not have enough money to get presents for other people. Never mind treating myself, otherwise I totally would treat myself if I saw something that I wanted whilst doing my Christmas shopping. I don't feel like there is anything wrong with treating yourself, at all. I'm actually shocked that people think that it is self-centered.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Occasionally ,I do. I'm a single mom, and this Valentine's Day I saw a Pepe Le Pew plush doll that said "press button to hear le flirt" and when I did, Le Pew said a bunch of his cheesy pick up lines. I thought he was adorable, so I bought him and he was my Valentine's "date". He was rather polite and didn't complain about my rewatching the entire series of Kill La Kill for the second time, in one sitting.
    For those of you too young to recall Loony Tunes, Pepe Le Pew is a flirtatious French cartoon skunk.