Breakfast Smoothies

Discussion in Food & Drink started by dizzykitsune • Oct 15, 2014.

1. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Although it's condensed, I find it's much easier to eat a full, healthy breakfast by combining fruits into a smoothie. A simple drink can prove to be enough to fill a hungry, empty tummy early in the morning. I like to blend varying fruits and vegetables together in a sweet, yet healthy pro-choice combination to quench my pallet as well as fill my stomach. Sometimes it's hard to imagine that a hand full of strawberries, a few banana's, a couple slices of vegetables, and other varying elements can fit within a single cup. Despite it's condensed size, I find it fills me more than a plate of breakfast food.

What about you guys?

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't find them all too filling actually, but they are certainly enjoyable to drink, and provide a host of nutrients. I often usually have smoothies as a late morning, or mid afternoon snack. I don't think that I could be personally satisfied by just a smoothie for breakfast.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have made smoothie on occasion. Usually my main ingredient is kefir though, so it's high in protein. I really like making pumpkin smoothies with kefir. It's just canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie pie spices mixed into the kefir with a few chia seeds for extra nutrients. I wish I could afford kefir this week, but it' so expensive.

4. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I am not a huge fan of smoothies but my husband and kids love them. I always have to have plenty of frozen fruit, yogurt and juice in the house! My husband has one everyday and now my kids have been requesting them for breakfast as well. My husband enjoys making them in the morning so he is in charge of that. :) I feel good giving them to my kids before school too. Their healthy and easy to make and drink. They are always full and I know I'm doing a great thing for their growing bodies!!

Danyel :)

5. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I am a fan of innocent smoothies not a fan of the price when they aren't on offer. I do not find them filling at all. I accompany them with food rather than substitute them for food. Perhaps I'm just greedy but I can drink a whole large bottle and would happily still eat my two meals a day but as I don't eat breakfast. I do agree that this a great supplement especially to replace breakfast or lost energy.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I usually can't handle eating much in the morning too soon upon waking up, so smoothies are a good solution for me a lot of time, plus they're great for being on the go. I like keeping a good ratio of vegetables to fruits....a lot of the time I end up using a fair amount of kale.

7. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I also find smoothie filling but not for longer period of time as I tend to get hungry again after an hour. Though I do enjoy drinking smoothies like most here but like Jessifox, I don't prefer it early in the morning, maybe lunchtime as dessert. When it comes to morning drinks, it's always coffee with lots of cream for me during breakfast. :D

8. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a huge fan of smoothies for a meal in general just because when I'm hungry, I actually want to eat some solid food, it's much more satisfying to me, personally.

9. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    It is a great meal for breakfast. The most important thing to make smoothie healthier is by making sure it contains 80% vegetables and 20% fruit.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We usually whip up avocado smoothies early in the morning because this fruit grows abundantly outside our house. In fact, we have a large avocado tree growing just meters ahead. At times, we go for banana-apple smoothies when both fruits are available. They blend well together and help address indigestion problems.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think a smoothie can satiate me when I'm hungry, I just tend to see them as a beverage. For breakfast, I think nothing is more better than having a solid meal, since breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I think cereals are better than smoothies.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love fruit smoothies but I've honestly never had one at breakfast. Usually I just make or buy one in the middle of the day as a refreshment if I'm tired or if it gets too hot. I also heard that smoothies are still no substitute for eating the fruits since blending them breaks down all the fibers and what you are left with is essentially just sugars, but I suppose it's better than a soda.

13. florida2015

florida2015Member

Threads:
    I love fruit smoothies, especially strawberry banana. I find a large one is not only very filling for me but it also gives me more energy because I am not eating carbs and feeling sluggish afterwards. I know it's not good for me but I love the mango smoothies at McDonald's. They are delicious. I also love Smoothie King smoothies for dinner after I go to the dentist and my mouth is still numb. They are usually too large for me to drink it all. I usually only buy their smoothies with a coupon.