Lollypops

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Peninha • Oct 15, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that as kids we have all eaten lollypops, but to be honest I still eat them from time to time haha. My kids love them too, so I think that's a cheap candy that can keep the kids entertained for a while. The main issue is the teeth of course. Do you give them to your kids? How often?

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I actually never had many as a child. Not that I was forbidden from them or anything but I simply never had a sweet tooth. I've known a lot of people who are addicts who got all sorts of dental problems later on though, so I'm glad I never took it up.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been too much of a fan of lollypops either, I've always like regular candies or sweets.
    Just unwrap them and pop them in your mouth, no fussing about with the stick :)

4. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    You make a good point in saying that lolipops keep kids entertained for awhile. For this reason I would mark them above over candies for children because they have to take their time with the treat rather than racing through eating it and begging for more. The one or two lolipops can satisfy a child's craving, or even your own, while other candies require a larger quantity to quench the thirst.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I also used to give lollipops to my kids when they were still young. And I'm not particular concern about their teeth when they're eating it. I'm more concern with their movement. I don't want them to run around or doing something recklessly while the lollipops inside their mouth. So I really don't give them lollipops unsupervised. :eek:

6. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    Lollipops are kind of messy. My youngest never finishes he's and if I don't watch closely I'll find the uneaten porton stuck to something later. Not to mention they could get to playing and jab the stick down there throat.

I always liked the kind that had a little surprise in the middle like a totsie pop or blow pop.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I stopped eating them a few years ago, but only because I've forgotten about it. It wasn't really a conscious decision to stop. Although, I don't consider buying it as much anymore as much as I did before because there's just a lot of other things I'd rather buy now than a lollipop when I go to a convenience or grocery store, such as beer or something more filling.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha, that expression made me laugh, eating lollipops unsupervised... :) Either cases, this is a genuine concern because they just might fall and hurt the mouth with the little stick, so I think it's a good advise that can prevent some accidents.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely had a sweet tooth as a kid (and now, too, honestly) but I was never crazy about lollipops. My son isn't either, which I'm kind of relieved about because they can end up really messy and gross. I'll stick with other candies that are more mess-free :).

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never liked lollipops. Even as a kid I would refuse them, disliking the artificial sweet taste and colors. Also, while everybody around me was crazy about fairy floss, I would just turn up my nose at the stuff. I know that if I had kids, I wouldn't encourage them to eat lollipops, unless they are made of natural ingredients that don't destroy their teeth or make them overactive.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always loved them, I know that they are unhealthy, but what can I say, I feel that they are a part of my childhood memories. I remember those simple ones, but also those huge with a lot of colors that left me entertained for a long time. :D

12. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of lollipops myself but try not to eat them often because of obvious reasons and I try to not let my kids have them too often either. Lollipops can be very addictive and very bad for your teeth, so when I started getting out of hand with my lollipop craze, I had to control myself. lol. Both of my children which are 10 and 2 both have a sweet tooth and are fans of lollipops as well and I think it's mainly because they only eat them once and a blue. I guess that's why I like them so much because when I was little my mother only gave us lollipops once in a blue and that made me want them even more.

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I know what you mean Telly, they are totally unhealthy. Just yesterday I was in the mall and saw this little girl with a lollipop bigger than her head lol, I thought that was insane, no need to give so much sugar to a child.

14. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Lollipops are nice, but I only eat the small-size ones. Chupa-chups in particular is my favorite brand, it has many nice flavors and you can get a small lollipop for really cheap!

I gave out plenty of lollipops during Halloween :p However make sure that if you give them to kids that they brush their teeth right after, it's really sticky and nasty for the teeth as far as candy goes. Also don't let them chew on the stick, it might present a choking hazard or they might swallow small pieces of plastic.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I can't eat the huge ones, they make me sick, but the small ones after certain lunches I believe that might even act as a good digestive? :) Either cases, this is not something to be eaten often, neither by kids or adults, just once in a while because they are totally unhealthy, pure sugar.