Glitter for Eye Shadow

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by DancingLady • Oct 15, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really wear any makeup, but for the last few months I have been putting glitter above my eyes, in place of eye shadow. I have actually never used any real makeup since I quit ice skating at age 13, so I wouldn't know how to use it if I tried, but a while ago I was talking about how much I loved those glitter gels girls were using on their face years ago, when I was a kid. I'm 26 now, but I decided that I still like glitter and I'm going to wear it. So I got a little container of glitter and have been using it for a while now. My room mate calls it my star dust and lots of people have said they like it, even though it isn't really popular now.

2. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    The thing about make-up is that it doesn't change that much over time. There is nothing wrong with glitter as eye shadow or as a part of it as long as you like it and are comfortable with what you have put on. For my money I prefer if it is not put on too heavily, I like it lite and it should match what you are wearing.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have several actor and dancer friends that use glitter on stage and there was a trend where teenagers were using glitter on their eyes. I think it's fine, but can get messy if you rub your eyes and I always rub my eyes and I prefer matte eye colors for my eye shape.

I do use glitter creams on my cheekbones in the evenings or during the summer when it's too hot for make-up though as it's a quick lift.

4. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with glitter for eyeshadow. I don't wear it a lot personally just because it seems to get everywhere else.. I also prefer the cream glitter eyeshadows because they seem to stay in place a lot better and they're very shimmery.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    i am not one for eyeshadows. I just apply lipstick and eyeliner every day. Don't get me wrong though. I don't wear eyeshadows because I do not know how to apply them. If I do learn how though, I think I will use it every now and then especially during special events.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just wear what you want but at least be "timely" about it. I mean, if there's no special occasion such as a party or some other event, would you think it appropriate to wear heavy glitter eyeshadow? Doing so would be downright odd. Perhaps to avoid being lynch by the critical mob, instead of an all-out application, you can tone down the shade enough to give your eyes a bit of shimmer.

7. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I'm sure it looks nice on you but I guess it depends on your skin complexion. On some skin tones glitter above the eye or anywhere for that matter can look a little tacky or young depending on how you look at it. If your dressed up to go out somewhere and you want to look extra fancy, I don't see anything wrong with glitter but if your going to school or you work a regular 9-5 job, it will seem a little extra and unnecessary. I actually have glitter in my make-up bag, to add some fun to my make-up every once in a while and especially on occasions.

8. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do not use it heavy at all, it's just the Wet and Wild loose glitter. I put a tiny bit on a Q-tip and pat under my eye brow. It's not like solid glitter, just a little bit. I tried taking a picture once, but it didn't show up right, so you couldn't see it.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I love eyeshadows, but with a few rare exceptions, I'm just not one to get too into the glitter. It ends up looking a little more dramatic and overdone than I want, and I do tend to associate it with a younger time in my life...but if you like the way it looks and it works for you than that's great, to each their own =).

10. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    I used to love wearing glitter eye shadow in high school. My favorite was silver, it seemed to match everything. Loose glitter can get very messy and possibly hurt your eyes if they make their way to your cornea. I had a type from Claire's that was much safer and specifically for eyes. It had a substance mixed in with the glitter that felt a lot like petroleum jelly, maybe you could use that as a base before applying your glitter to make it stick all day. I think wearing glitter eye shadow is fine. It's fun and different, it adds interest to any look. For more formal occasions, if you still want a bit of shine, you could use a shimmer instead of glitter; either is fine. :)