Down feather or synthetic pillows?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Oct 15, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Which do you prefer? I like synthetic pillows rather than feather ones as they keep their shape better and are easier to wash.

I pop them in the washing machine to clean them where feather ones can't be cleaned so easily and synthetic ones tend to last longer. I know they say to replace them every few years, but as long as they keep their shape and can be washed then they will last.

2. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure I would say down for comfort definitely prefer where duvet is concerned. But I agree they are harder to clean and also the feathers start coming out and get everywhere and also once that happens they lose shape and the feather bits poke through the pillow case and dig you in the face. Also most synthetic ones are anti allergen. As I have a phobia of birds not ideal. :)

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer synthetic pillows. I like a firm pillow and down pillows are just too soft. Plus, they really irritate my sinuses. I really don't understand the allure of down pillows and I used to sell them when I worked in a department store.

4. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer synthetic pillows just because they seem much more comfortable to me and I don't really like feathers poking me in the face.

5. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    I love synthetic pillows! Especially the hypoallergenic ones since I usually get a stuffy nose at night. I also like being able to squeeze my pillows and not deform them too much.

Plus, I don't like the idea of lying down on dead birds. :))

I think feather pillows are more a luxury because of association than actual quality.

6. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Within the last few months we have replaced all of our old pillows with memory foam pillows and we love them! They were more expensive but well worth it. They keep their shape like no other pillow we have ever tried. Don't get the cheap ones though, you will regret it because you will find yourself replacing them often. Spend a little more and then you wont have to worry.

A good nights sleep is worth every penny!!

Hope this helps!
    Danyel :)

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of memory foam, I like to be able to fluff up pillows, bit for some people they would be good. Feathers can be a pain and yes they do poke out and can interrupt your sleep as well. I once woke up to a feather in my face as a child, not pleasant.

I do think a good pillow makes a difference between a good nights sleep or not, so I am quite fussy about my pillow when I'm in a hotel and have to test them! Some even have pillow menus.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I also like the synthetic pillows, for maintenance reason. Besides through time it doesn't get noticeable whether what you're using is synthetic or not. They both offer comfort, though at not the same intensity. But for durability, I find synthetic pillows to be more durable and the feather pillow to be little more expensive. So I would always rather go for the synthetic pillows.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to use synthetic pillows rather than the feather ones as feathered pillows get spoiled very fast. I also feel that synthetic pillows are much easy to handle rather than the feather ones as you can always change the stuffings of synthetic pillows without much expenditure and effort. This is not possible in feathered pillows.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have wondered about the memory foam pillows. They are a bit more, but if they last a few years then it would be worth it. They synthetic pillows claim to stay fluffy, but that has not been my experience. I have to replace them frequently. Maybe I have a heavy head. I have seen the memory foam pillows at Kohl's. I just might pick up one the next time I'm there.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a question I asked myself for a number of years before I discovered buckwheat husks. Now, I could not imagine going anywhere in the world without my trusty buckwheat pillow. In the past I used to get a lot of neck pain and strain, especially with the traditional European pillows. I tried all kinds of pillows, even memory foam, but none of them managed to provide me a really good night's sleep. These days I use buckwheat husks not only for my bed pillows, but also to sit on them when I am working on the computer. The pillows are airy and mold to my body, which has taken away most of the tension and muscle pains that I used to get.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried one of these once and it does take a while to get used to. My friend had them as she has a bad back and they help her. I like them as cushions as they don't move as much, but I'm not sure if I could change over to using them by themselves as I like to turn my pillow over during the night several times. Also you can't flop onto them as your would other pillows as it would hurt!