Thoughts on Halloween?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Mayvin • Oct 16, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Since I don't have kids yet I'm not as into this Holiday but even if I did have kids, I probably still wouldn't be into it just because I'm just not into it really. It seems to be an excuse for people to focus on the occult and why open that door? I guess if you don't think too deeply about it then it could be a fun time for the kiddies, but I'm also not keen on kids loading up on a bunch of cavity inducing, teeth rotting candy. I know I sound like a total kill-joy lol. But that's just me.

2. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree and I am not the least bit interested in Halloween. As a child my mum banned me from taking part for the reasons you have outlined and plus she saw trick or treating as begging and weren't having any of it. I have grown up never having took part in any Halloween celebration and I have no plan to.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just like Halloween because the programs on tv are mostly centered on the paranormal during that season, and I love anything mysterious and spiritual. But apart from that, I'm not into celebrating it. Halloween is not even widely celebrated here in my country.

4. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I like Halloween because you can dress up in costumes and be someone else for a while. Its the most theatrical of holidays. Even as a kid I cared more about dressing up and seeing who dressed up as what then the candy. I also like the decorations, and the haunted houses which the best ones are kind of like interactive plays.

5. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I love Halloween! It's a low-pressure "holiday." Everyone can participate. Imagination is rewarded. If you come up with a creative costume, people will remember it for years. My son is too young to appreciate Trick-or-Treating yet, but I am looking forward to taking him to see friends and family briefly. If you have concerns about the occult aspects of Halloween, you can just have a harvest festival and be enjoy healthier food than candy.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy dressing up just because I like to dress up no don't like all the darkness associated with it, but I enjoy just having a good time with friends and doing fun good things instead.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Halloween is one of those holidays I hate most. It's not just the fancy dressing up I hate. I hate all things dark [the figurative sense of the word] and Halloween happens to be 'the devil's day. Yeah most people will disagree with me but ask yourself why satanists love the holiday so much? Could it be because there's something about it which no one else knows?

A very interesting article. I suggest you read it all.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to live in Salem and this is like their retail Christmas. It's a money making commercial event full of costumes, parties and decorations. The true reason for Halloween is also celebrated, but in Salem it's the whole month and usually the first couple of weeks into November, as long as they can prolong it!

To me it's a time when the clocks go back and to get ready for winter.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Halloween is my favorite holiday, and has always been. I don't see how it's any worse than Christmas or Easter, when it comes to candy. Christmas in particular is far more materialistic then kids begging for candy on Halloween. Plus it's one of the only holidays which allow you to get to know the people in your neighborhood better. I've been living in apartments since I moved out on my own, but if I ever settle down into a house one of the first things I would look forward to is getting to pass out candy to all the trick or treaters. When I was a teenager and too old to go trick or treating any more, I used to love dressing up in something scary and setting up a scene of some sorts in our yard and on our porch to scare them when they got to our house.

10. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I liked halloween when I was younger and in college but now that I'm a little older I don't really do anything special for it. I just don't get very excited over spending money/time on a costume or anything anymore. I do like passing out candy to kids though. They are usually pretty adorable :)

11. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I can't stand it! It is very much an American thing that has crept across the Atlantic to my country (United Kingdom) and wish it would disappear! My biggest problem with it is the knocking on people's doors and asking for treats, it is a form of begging! Plus the kids on my estate smash your windows whether you give them treats or not!

12. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I can definitely relate to what you are saying, I don't even call Halloween a holiday because it's not. I used to love Halloween a lot when I was younger and didn't realize that is was a pagan day. My parents always tried to make it fun for us but they also taught us that it wasn't a real holiday and the negative things that are associated with Halloween. Now that I have kids, I see myself doing the same things to make it fun for the kids but not spending a lot money on customs or letting them eat large amounts of candy. I also try to educate my kids on the bad things about Halloween and focus on just the fun part which is dressing up and having fun.