HBO Stand-Alone Streaming Service

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Parker • Oct 16, 2014.

1. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    HBO just announced that it will offer a stand-alone streaming service in 2015.

I am very happy to hear this news since I will be able to legally watch Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

A copy of the press release is here:

2. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is a great news. In this way we can get current series of most of the serials that will be out in the future. But I am worried that the HBO subscription rate will also increase due to additional features they will be providing. I just hope the rates would not increase too much.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Walking Dead isn't HBO.

Either way, this is a nice thing. It's a step forward, as most people I know don't care about 99% of the channels in basic/extended packages you need to get HBO/Showtime/AMC, and paying just for one is a great way to see what you want without having to overpay. Also, it may be good for rating calculations too, especially since it's very easy to profile people's demographics indepth on the internet.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're right! It's AMC. I guess I got over excited. I really wish Showtime would follow. I really miss Homeland.

CBS has just started a streaming service too. You will be able to watch current shows the day after they air via the app. The charge is $5.99/month.
    I don't think it will affect cable rates since the streaming will have a monthly fee to cover streaming services.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    HBO was already experimenting with tis in other countries. They've been putting up full 1080p Game of Thrones episodes for stream on YouTube right after they finished airing for many countries that would have pirated it otherwise. It was a really surprising move, because HBO tends to show their shows on regional channels as early as 2 weeks after the USA premiere.

6. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think this stand alone streaming idea is going to pan out well to the expectations of HBO. I mean they already have stiff competition against other streaming platforms, with Netflix being the biggest one. But what I want to know is what amount of content will they have that justifies a price tag near, equal to or more than what Netflix charges. Nonetheless, I hope their intentions go according to plan. I guess I'll have to watch what happens very closely.

#6Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is great news. I hope it is successful and other similar companies follow suit. I don't want to pay 100 dollars a month for 300 channels I barely watch. I'd rather pay for only the channels I view regularly. If I can subscribe to HBO I'll pay for it and watch happily.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As far as I understand, this isn't Netflix, you are legitimately getting real time streaming of the actual channel itself. For way less than you would get with a normal cable package. I'm pretty sure it's win-win.. And if they add on-demand like HBO Go, which I assume they will, becasue why not.. what's there to be sceptical about, really?: )

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that could be cool. HBO has some quality shows, such as Flight of the Conchords, Eastbound and Down, Game of Thrones, Girls, Entourage, ad others. I'm looking forward to their new show, Getting On. It looks good, and it has Alex Borstein in it. In any case, this does seem like it could be a good service and it might do well.

10. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    You know, I'm intrigued by your usage of the word, "legally." So many torrenters have claimed that if this service or that service were available in a different format or made cheaper then they wouldn't steal the media that they are enjoying, so I am curious to see if people will go the legal route like you plan to or if they will just come up with another justification for stealing.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Game of Thrones is the most pirated TV show. My comment was a nod to that. I don't have cable, but I use my friend's HBO Go account to watch via Roku. I only discovered Game of Thrones about 6 months ago. I love it. So, I will definitely sign on to the HBO Go streaming services when Game of Thrones new season starts. I'm sure they many who torrent will continue to torrent the show.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You'e probably right. No matter what, there will always be someone who wants to watch these things for free, by any means possible. Odds are, there will still be people trying to upload these things on Youtube or other free sites. So long as there's a demand for it, people will still illegally upload/download these things.

13. kbroder9

kbroder9Member

Threads:
    I already get HBO so it's not a huge difference for me, but think it's a game-changer in how we buy cable and think it's a great trend to go towards. One day if I want to save some money and not get the hundreds of channels I never put on, it'll be nice to pick the basic cable package plus ten or so of the premium channels that I know I watch. I just think it almost might get more expensive at some point if you have to do each one individually instead of in packages. One channel for $6.99 a month isn't bad, but ten of those will add up!

14. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I can't afford to get HBO but I really like some of the shows that they had like game of thrones. If this works out I would happily pay a monthly fee to watch them. as long is it at a reasonable price.