Subway vs bus

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Gelsemium • Oct 16, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In what concerns public transportations my main choices are the subway or the bus. I prefer the first because it's faster and we have no traffic, I just dislike that it is so dark down there. What do you prefer, the bus or the subway?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer subways as well since they are fast and as you've mentioned, allows you to get past the problem of traffic. The only thing I dislike about subways is that they tend to be cramped during rush hours and the stops aren't always convenient enough, but I still consider it one of the better alternatives since you at least get to save on time.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Subway (or underground here)( is my favourite. Buses are slow and can get caught up in traffic which is a problem that you don't have with trains. Buses also do shorter routes so sometimes I combine the two. Underground is certainly my favourite overall though.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love the subway, not only are they cheaper than going by bus, it's much faster since they don't get any traffic.
    Of course I have no option than taking the bus sometimes when I need to go somewhere that doesn't have a subway station nearby.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the journey, I prefer the bus, but if it's during rush hour and it's time sensitive then I will get the subway. It also depends on the weather, the subway if its raining or if it's humid because it's quicker and the bus will always be late in the rain. I think it's good to use both as if one route is down, then you know how to use the other.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    One thing I am happy about the subway in my country is that, except in the rush hour, it's not crowded and it's fairly clean, meaning I can go with the kids with no worries of safety. Well, I do feel robbed when I buy the ticked, but that it another matter.

7. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I guess I'm going to position myself in the minority here and say that I prefer buses over subway trains. The rush hour periods for both are equally a turn off, but I like when I'm traveling on public transportation and I can see the roads and study locations and I can at least make calls and pick up internet on my phone. That is all possible riding a bus but not riding the subway train where I live. For those reasons, I have to choose buses.

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    A subway or rail-train system, is by far more efficient and less time consuming to use, than a bus any day and night. However, a bus has more mobility and will have more drops/pickups for humans to use, than a subway or rail-train system. I personally prefer whichever public transport, can get me from point A to B the fastest, easiest, and cheapest.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    The only advantage that I see in the bus is that is has the sunlight, which I love, but as I am looking for a transportation and not a tan I usually take the subway when I need it. Some parts of the subway are no underground, that's much prettier.

10. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    This is not an easy question for me because there are pros and cons to both methods of transportation. The Subway is fast but there are still times when there is train traffic or signal issues not to mention the overcrowded subway cars and people acting crazy on the train. Also when taking the train if you have a medical emergency it takes long to receive medical attention. The bus is a way more easier way to travel is you have a child and small stroller plus if there is an emergency the bus can be stopped right away so the person can receive medical attention in a timely manner. Like I said they both have there pros and cons, these were just a few from a former New Yorker.

11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Here in my country, the mass transport system is very disappointing. I prefer to ride the bus though it is always traffic because the trains are always damaged. They are also very cramped.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never rode a train before, so I guess I would have to choose a bus. In my area you can only ride busses anyway, no trains or subways.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At the moment I have no other option but to take my bike to work. There is hardly any public transport where I live. Luckily, my work place isn't far away from my house, so I am doing well with my bicycle. Not many people around here have a car. The most common form of transport around here is on motorbike.
    Back in Europe, where I mostly live, I prefer to use the metro whenever possible. It's the most convenient way to get around the city where I live.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    In a way I envy you both Dora and sidney, so no trains near where you live? Why is that, is it a rural area? Sometimes I wish I could live away from the civilization and live in a more natural way, but I guess we don't choose where we are born.