How do you feel about buying coupons?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by NikkiDesrosiers • Oct 16, 2014.

1. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    There is this strange trend on the rise for people to get online and purchase grocery coupons from other people? This feels redundant to me. Coupons are meant to save you money on things you buy and they are meant by nature to be free. Why would you pay someone for them. I understand that they may have taken the time to collect them.. but a few minutes online and a printer can get you the same result without you paying a dime. It just makes the coupons feel useless if you are paying for them - because the money you are saving in groceries you probably spent on the coupons. What do you think? Is this something you do?

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah...I think it's weird, too, it just feels kind of stupid and counterproductive. I mean it doesn't take *that* much time and effort to collect them together and print them yourself, and it certainly doesn't cost anything- so why pay money to try to save money? I wouldn't pay for coupons.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's illegal as it usually says the coupon cannot be sold or exchanged and has monetary value, though you do see bundles of them on ebay and places.
    I worked at a company where we ran a promotion and staff gave out coupons for certain products and we found a member of staff was selling them online which we tried to stop. So, yes people do, bu there is no guarantee they are genuine and have not bee acquired properly. As a result they can be voided as stores don't have to accept them if they think they have been tampered with or are fraudulent.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's definitely not illegal, but it is against the rules of the manufacturers, although it's one of those things that everyone turns a blind eye to because it's too much effort to prevent. Clipping coupons requires a time commitment, and not everyone has that time. If a person can get 100 coupons at anywhere less than 30% of their total savings value, then they can still save a lot of money. For people that don't have time or don't want to waste their time, buying coupons online makes sense when the right price comes around.

5. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    I have recently began couponing and found that it is rather easy to save quite a bit of money on products that I use everyday. I wondered how many individuals had multiple coupons for the same product until I seen that inserts containing coupons are actually sold in a variety of places. I believe buying/selling coupons is actually a beneficial action for both parties. I have even found individuals that give the coupons they don't have a use for to others that may use them. If you think about it, many purchase the Sunday paper to obtain the different coupon inserts, the paper is normally about 3 dollars (unless purchased from the dollar store). I have seen individuals purchase many Sunday papers just for these inserts and toss the actual paper. For those that desire multiple coupons, it seems as though it would be smarter to order inserts instead of purchasing multiple papers. I myself have not yet ordered any inserts as I stated earlier I have recently began couponing, but I can see myself in the future purchasing inserts somehow, whether from a site online or form a local individual. I don't ever see a problem when it comes to saving money.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sometimes buy coupons for 5 or 10 cents each, and yes it is worth 5 cents to save $1 on a product I buy regularly, especially if I'm buying 10 of the same product on sale.

Either I can spend $1.50 to buy a newspaper and gamble that maybe I'll get some coupons that I can use, or I can spend the same $1.50 to get 30 or 40 coupons that I will definitely use. Services like The Coupon Clippers charge for their time clipping, not the coupons themselves.
    It's convenient to shop for the exact coupons I need instead of hoping for some decent ones to show up in the paper by chance.
    I also use online printed coupons, but the coupons online are not exactly the same as the ones in the paper, so I use both.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    The only reason why this would make sense is if they essentially have an operation of their own in which they are pretty much raiding the big box warehouses that take coupons, so between them and some friends, they are actually saving money by buying so much more than they normally would. Outside of that, the purchasers would have to be people that feel they simply don't have the time to do the couponing themselves, so they are paying for someone else's efforts.

8. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    This seems odd to me too. I guess there is a market for higher value coupons? I wouldn't spend the time buying coupons online but if someone has the free time I guess it makes sense. Whatever they are paying for the coupon is less than the amount they're saving so they're still saving a percentage. I hardly use coupons myself. I should start looking at my inserts more closely. Maybe I can make a few bucks! ;)

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Doesn't it defeat the purpose of a coupon to go buy it? Especially if you're buying online and have to pay for shipping costs, it sounds like something that might actually be more expensive with buying the coupon than if you paid full price for the item.

At any rate, this doesn't seem worth it to me. I have no problem picking coupons in the paper, but don't think it's worth my time going out of my way to buy or find coupons.

10. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard of buying coupons from other people before. I mean shouldn't coupons be free? I do buy vouchers/deals from websites though, and they are very cheap compared to the actual services.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree that it's kind of odd, but at the same time, if the price difference isn't that much then I guess it's worth it. If you consider the time and effort you get to save, you're probably better off just keeping that time for yourself and using it to just earn more money or to do something else. If the price difference is too high for the amount of time you save, only then would I consider it totally redundant.

12. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have never bought a single coupon as I think it is a complete waste of money. I do not think it decreases the price of the things that you buy online but only complicates and increases it.I do not think it is very easy to get rid of addiction of buying coupons once you start enjoying it. Hence I planned never to try them in the first place.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What are you people talking about? Are you guys actual couponers or not? Buying coupons does make sense for certain people. Let's say that you need 10 boxes of Velveeta Shells & Cheese. Would you rather spend $15 to buy 10 local newspapers for 10 Velveeta coupons, or spend 50 cents to get 10 Velveeta coupons from a coupon seller?
    Coupon sellers usually charge 5 cents for a $1 coupon ,so if you buy 20 coupons, you are spending $1 to save $20. Actually if you live in a state that doubles coupons,
    you are spending $1 to save $40.

It's not about time. It's about getting exactly the coupons that you need, and getting more than one copy of that coupon.

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really feel like buying coupon. Well, before I used to be excited because at a first glance they are really tempting, but after I have bought a lot, it would come later that I have bought more than what I could use and more than what I really like. In turn, I have wasted more money. I should have just spent the money directly on the things that I like. So now, I am not that pushed to avail coupons. Very rarely that I get myself.