Bread and milk at the door

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Oct 17, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger there was a milk man and the man with the bread delivering the bread and milk at my door daily before breakfast, what was great. With time this service disappeared, I wonder if this is only in my area? Do you still have this service?

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, I've never had that experience :) The closest I've come is having a bread factory a half a block away. It has been a great pleasure to walk down the block every saturday and pick up a fresh loaf of bread every week. It has great flavor. Now I dread buying sliced loaves from the market :)

3. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen such a service in movies and older tv shows, but never have I experienced such a thing in person. It would be nice to receive fresh milk and warm bread at my doorstep in the morning, but I strongly doubt I will ever get the pleasure of having it. How long has it been since you've had this service? I'm curious to know when the trend ended.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have friends that still have a milkman and you can still have a milkman which is good for the elderly or disabled. There are several websites that offer milk men services.

In the days before cartons of milk that's how it was delivered and we always had to rinse out the bottles and put them out the night before They had eggs rather than bread in my area, but the milk float was always holding up traffic, but no one minded in those days.

The only thing you had to watch out for was birds pecking on the lids or someone stealing the milk. Back then, it was rare, but did happen more as a prank.

5. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I've never had that experience. but I also live in a very rural area. My parents both grew up in small towns and they remember this from when they were children. They would have someone who delivered milk in glass bottles daily. I don't know if anyone ever delivered fresh bread or not. It seems like it would have been a great service, but it probably wouldn't be as affordable as it was years ago.

6. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a small kid, maybe 2-4 since this was before kindergarten, my grandma and my aunt had that service. It was a bakery that delivered the bread every morning, but no milk. When my mom took me early in the morning to their houses before going to work, sometimes we would see the delivery man and he would give us the bread, or sometimes we got there and found it in the front porch.

This service has disappeared. My guess is because cars are much more common now and also there's more business. For example with my aunts house before there was only that one bakery about 10 minutes on foot from the house, but now there's one about 1-2 minutes on foot, not to mention that with a car there are about 6 places less than 5 minutes from her house that sell bread.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We have lost a lot of the door to door services we used to get here as well. There was a time that all kinds of sellers would come by our neighborhood selling ice cream, mid day or morning snacks, etc. but now we'd be lucky if one of them popped by in a week. I miss it but I can't really complain since in their place there have been a lot more other options that have turned up. It really had a certain charm to it though.

8. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    It's amazing when I watch movies that have this kind of service in a glimpse or something. We never had anything like this. How did it work? How do you pay them?

9. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It was all based on good faith, those were the good old days. They just left us the bread and the milk and I can't recall if we paid once per week or once per month. Let me tell you, nothing better than waking up with fresh bread at the door... :)