Oscars, Grammy's and "All That Jazz"?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by ExpertAdvice • Oct 17, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    So, the other day, I was passing through random YouTube videos, when I came across a young Sinead O'Connor, who has been known for her highly opinionated and "non-conformist" views, made known to all through her many interviews with popular talk show hosts, her songs and other chosen media.

Within the space of her views, I managed to see the thought that she had when it came on to the system of "Oscars and Grammy's" and all other such awards...the "awarding system" in general. She basically ridiculed it, labelling it as quite unnecessary and inconsiderate of the other talents who had failed to be considered, because their talent had to be weighed within a pool of the peers, and compared to those persons' efforts in a similar production, to decide on some sort of "winner", which was basically not totally representative of the true weight of their own talent.

So, what do you think about this train of thought?

Do you love staying up late and keeping abreast of the Oscar and Grammy nominations, and the actual ceremonies usually filled with fanfare and celebrations?

Or do you think that these awards ceremonies are all a waste of money and time, and really are not truly representative of "who really did the best" that year?

What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    All these celebrity events displayed on one's screen, is merely club events that members submit their works to be judged and possibly win a award for, that's it. It's no different if you were in a sports club, and you apply to be MVP of the year for your league by showing your work progress for that year. The Oscars, Grammies, People's Choice Awards and others, are merely meriting and recognizing events for people who wish to be acknowledge and feel that they succeeded in their life.

Personally, I could care not for these events, its a waste of time and a distraction from what I need to do to succeed in my life. I mean, I believe in the ideas behind these events are fine and dandy, but I hold no participation nor care for such things at all.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    As a teenager, I use to stay up and watch the Grammys, Golden Globes, American Music Awards and the Academy Awards. By 1999, I grew tired of them and in the early 2000s, I just stopped watching altogether. It became boring to me and in terms of music, I'm not impress with the "talent" shove down my throat. Even the overhype individuals, I can't see the big hoopla around them. Also, in the age of the internet, I can see any interesting clip or musical performance on YouTube or any other online source when I feel like it. And yeah, some of the award shows are not 100% legit but to be honest, they never were ... even if you review ceremonies from the 1950s, 60s and onward. It's basically the same game but different year.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like May10204, I used to watch these types of shows even if they ran past my bedtime. Now, I just check the winners online. I also used to like to watch the performances, but I have gotten over it. I don't know if they are really a waste of money. It's an industry event. The film and/or music industry gets to celebrate it's own. I think these types of events would happen even if they weren't televised. Putting them on TV is just a way to make money off ( or pay for )these types of events.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty much. Oscars are awfully superficial and more times than not the only thing that decides who wins is backstage politics and other dumb reasons. Did the actor said something the commitee didn't like? Did he since started work on a movie the commitee doesn't like? Too bad, no award for you. Apprently they are unable to judge the work they are supposed to judge and instead look for popular opinion.

Same with Grammys. It was never about artistic accomplishment, simply politics and whose marketing team broke thru the hardest. Not to mention that the pool out of which the Grammy commitee gets the records is laughably small. It probably accounts for 5% or less of yearly music releases, so yeah, it can never be actually useful or objective.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty much indifferent to it nowadays. I used to enjoy the Grammy's, but it's not that same as it was before. The Grammy's used to truly award people for their talent and artistic merit. Now, it just seems like a popularity contest. There was one year where EDM artist, BT, was nominated for "Best Electronic Artist of the Year" for his album, These Hopeful Machines. He lost in favor of Skrillex, for his Bangarang album. Bt's music is a masterpiece, so that was when I realized that the Grammy's wasn't the same.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    While a Grammy doesn't hold the same weight that it used to as there are even more blatant politics associated with it, I've never for people like Sinead as they sound like nothing but sour grapes personified. People like her aren't really so innately talented therefore above such things, they are truly insecure and would hate to lose to someone that they believe are inferior than them, so they won't even throw their hat into the ring, just rocks from the sidelines. Sinead only had one hit of significance and she didn't write that song, everything else that added to her fame were stunts for attention. She knows this.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to read about what happened or who won what award at the Oscars, Grammy, Emmy or what have you. I don't, however, watch the entire proceedings. When I was a kid, I had more tolerance for all that jazz. At this age, it's time-consuming and I have better things to do like watch animes, read books, watch movies, write my unfinished novel, go to work, play with our cats, chat with my parents, go out with friends or travel somewhere. My way of life comes first over poking my nose around other people's business.