Solar Panel Discussion

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Oct 19, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm very curious and strongly considering getting some solar panels but I want to make efficient purchases, but I don't know where to start. I'm worried that if I buy the cheaper ones then it might not last very long and I also don't know what types to get for my specific requirements. Anyone here who has had experience with buying and using solar panels? I'm thinking of getting some from China though I don't know what advantages and disadvantages it might have as opposed to just sourcing it locally. I also would like some insight on how much power can be generated with a somewhat basic setup and what I can power with it as I don't really know much about the terms and measurements like watts.

Do any of you have solar panels? What tips can you give for buying and using them? Are they worth the purchase?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First of all, what is the climate and weather like throughout the year where you live? If your home isn't getting eight hours of direct sunlight per day, then you're not going to be able to utilize solar panels and solar energy very well. If the sun hits your property at a slant or there's mountains or even trees covering the property, then you're going to have problems. You can buy some basic solar panels for relatively cheap. I'd say it's best to buy a few really cheap ones and see how well you can build a basic setup on your property where it actually functions well. You can then upgrade from there after you're sure that you've in the right spot to harness solar power.

3. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I wish electronics have solar panel. If there were solar panel for cell phones then I think electricity cost and people going outside more will increase. People's main "problem" that they think is very crucial is having a fully charged phone.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is easy to find the small solar panels that will charge up your cell phone. I have seen some of the survival flashlights that also have a usb charger in them, so you can charge up small equipment like iPads and other tablets. They would be a great accesory to have because you not only have the solar charger, but you have an emergency flashlight, and usually a built in radio for the weather alerts.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I was also planning to get solar panels even just for the house lights and I first thought that all I have to do is go a store, buy and install one. I was surprise to find out about the many factors to consider when buying one. Not to mention the kind of solar panels (mono or polycrystalline) and other terms and stuff which most are all so very new to me. :confused:

So I just let my husband deal with it. :D Here's a chart that I found online to give you a preview of what you're most likely to encounter regarding solar panels. I believe this will give you an idea on what to ask should you decide to visit a solar panel store:

Polycrystalline%20Vs%20Monocrystalline%20module%20technology%20RENVU.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm planning to buy some solar panels in the spring for our camping trips, but just like you, I know almost nothing about them. That's why I decided to start by buying a cheaper version to play with - you know, learn about the tech and what not. After I'm familiarized with the solar technology I'll invest more and buy some good panels.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, those mono-crystalline panels don't look like a good deal at all.
    I don't think how I could justify paying for a more expensive thing only for a 1% increase in performance.

Solar panels is something that I've wanted to get installed but the initial cost is still a bit too steep for me.