Candy Prices

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DancingLady • Oct 20, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Halloween candy seems to be so expensive this year! Is it just me or has the price really fine up this year. Even with all the sails, it seems like the bags if candy are costing way too much. I don't think I am going to buy any this year since I might be working that night anyway, but I just can't afford this anymore.

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I buy the big bags of bubble gum/chews/pixie sticks, etc. They are usually a little cheaper than big name candy bars. I do agree that prices seem up this year. Not many kids come to my house so it's not too big of a deal. I try not to buy it until it's on sale or right before halloween. Otherwise I'll sneak one or two until the whole bag is gone, lol.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I thought about that, but as a kid, I didn't even like any of those cheaper candies myself, and I still don't. I feel bad giving kids something I think is just junk and doesn't even taste good. Since I'm likely to be working, it probably won't be an issue this year, but I like to have a little candy for myself now and then and I'm rather disappointed that I don't feel I can afford to spend the money on it this year.

4. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like the prices did go up in some stores. I feel like it is cheaper to buy the bulk at a costco or sam's club.

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think the prices are any higher, but the anxiety around buying it right at this moment is. For the most part, the candy is always on sale, so it's not like they are marking up the prices to then slash them. People that don't even hand out candy make this the time of year that they buy a bunch of it, so they lower the prices to make it that much more appealing.

6. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Haven't really noticed because there are so may discount stores you can buy packs of candy for a pound. But in terms of pick and mix I would say, yes it definitely has. It's like a five pounds for not even half a bag which is a bit steep I think. But I don't celebrate Halloween and no kids come knocking here because there are only two flats and they are quite hidden. So I don't really have to worry, now I've said it there will probably be flocks of children at my door. :)

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Candy prices do seem crazy lately. I remember when you could get a bag of fun size candy bars for $4 or $5. Now there are some $8.99 and even $12.99 bags of candy at Walmart.
    That just seems crazy expensive for candy. I guess I'll stick to Smarties and Tootsie Rolls which are still cheap.

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it's truly higher or if I'm just feeling a lot more stressed with my budget (or maybe both, quite likely both actually) but they do seem crazy high this year! A lot of places I'm looking you'd end up paying more for a medium sized bag of candy than for a lot of different kinds of meats! That's just ridiculous to me.

9. florida2015

florida2015Member

Threads:
    I was reading online that chocolate prices went up this year in August due to increasing cocoa and nut prices. It's not your imagination that chocolate costs more. The Ivory Coast and Ghana have both seen a decrease in cocoa production for the third straight year. Nestle, Mars and Hershey have all gone up on their prices. California is the major almond producer and they have been in drought conditions for the last few years. I will continue to go to the dollar store to get my chocolate. I don't get many trick or treaters anymore.