Kmart Stores Closing

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Isabellas2007 • May 29, 2012.

1. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I know many people used to like shopping at Kmart, but why are they closing so many stores. It seems to me they would want to try to keep those stores open if they are drawing in customers. I know one store they closed close to me was always busy.

2. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    K-mart has failed miserably at trying to keep up with stores like Target and Wal-Mart. The one near where I grew up just closed, and it was sad, but honestly, I haven't been back in there unless I was desperately searching all over town for a specific item. The store was dirty, understaffed, and just didn't have the quality stuff you could get at the other big discount places. That seemed to be the case with most K-marts. I guess it wasn't enough to keep them in business.

3. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    Just because its busy does not mean it is profiting. Also I think Kmarts struggle with loss prevention issues.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of the stores that were operating under one business model found it hard to compete with the new business model of Target and Walmart. It isn't just a situation of deciding that you're going to sell food too! You have to invest the money to redesign your stores and negotiate the contracts with the manufacturers.

Also, with Kmart and Sears being older stores, they already had stores located in what used to be a prime market and they have contracts with the land owners. So, they can't just up and close a store in one place and open up another one somewhere else to compete. Too many things have come together to kill the older stores.

5. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I am truly not surprised. It was only a matter of time before Walmart ran them out of business. If you can't compete, you drop like a fly. That is unfortunate.

6. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    Just because they store has some customers does not mean it is profitable or good business to keep it open. In the past when Kmart was losing money they closed a lot of their stores that were on expensive real estate and sold it. Maybe they are doing the same thing now and downsizing even more.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There used to be at three Kmarts in the general area. Now, I think they are only two Kmart stores for the city of Los Angeles. Kmart used to be the discount store of choice. Kmart, White Front and Woolworth's. Kmart is the only one still here, barely. It's a bit sad.

8. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to go to Target because K-mart is a lower class store. I'm not surprised because many people are shopping online. All of these department stores are shutting down and what will be left? Is everything going online, and there won't be anymore physical stores. Best buy is right behind K-Mart and what's next Walmart?

9. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We only have one Kmart in our area but it has really gone downhill over the last ten years. The store is not kept very clean and the employees are not very friendly. I usually don't go in there unless there is a particular item on sale that I need to get.

10. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    The K Marts around me are dirty, lack stock, unorganized and the workers don't really seem to care. I used to shop at K all the time when I was a teenager, but for some reason as an adult they seem overpriced to me. I can do way better at Walmart and other discount stores around town. Hopefully they can get it together, Walmart shouldn't have a monopoly on everything.

11. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I have seen many closing in my area. They really can't compete with WalMart or Target. In my area Kmart is always getting things taken by youngsters. Usually irrelevant items but eventually that all racks up

12. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    We only have two Kmarts in the entire city of New York, both in manhattan. It's amazing to me that they're still in operation. Every time I go it, it feels desolate. I'm sure at least one of them is likely to go next.

13. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    It's not that surprising. What do you expect when you can get the same exact products at Walmart for a lower price, plus Walmart has everything you need so it means only stopping at one store?

If you aren't willing to switch things up then in this changing economy and with the new online shopping deal you're either going to go adapt or go out of business. Kmart doesn't adapt.

14. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I keep seeing Wal-mart mentioned generally in reference to being cheaper. Interestingly enough Wal-mart is not really all that cheap so much as it is convienent and most people get into the habit of going there versus shopping around. That said I don't go to the K-mart near me very often because I just don't have the experience with it I have with Wal-mart also the one near me is just like really creepy and their turn-over rate is totally ridiculous.

15. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I like K-mart because I can find really great deals there occasionaly. I know they hooked up with another store at one point I think it was sear? Maybe. Anyhow I also know the tried the super K-marts to compete with Wal-mart and Target. I like Big lots and Aldi's for stores oh and the dollar store.

16. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    That's not true. There is a Kmart in the Bronx and there is one in Queens. They may close them soon, but NYC has at least four Kmarts. Even the ones in Manhattan are rather busy. What time are you going?

17. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    I worked at Kmart for 10 years until it closed 2 years ago. I just want to say that there are many different reasons why the stores are closing. There are loss prevention issues, there are price issues and there are appearance problems. Each store had its own issues that contributed to the downfall. I agree that Kmart is not going to be able to compete with Wal-Mart because Wal-Mart is able to be a one stop shop. When Kmart Corporation merged with Sears we all hoped that things would change but unfortunately the issues only became worse. I think in the future you will see Kmart phased out completely. Perhaps they will come up with a way to merge Kmart with Sears but for now they are still trying to keep them separate and in my opinion only hurting themselves.

18. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    My nearest K Mart is now more than an hour away. I never really shopped their anyway, but they do seem to be dwindling, especially in my area (Wisconsin).

19. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    There's nothing we can do to stop them from closing. Their service has been poor over the years, and now they're going to pay. Can we have a moment of silence for K-Mart? May you rest in peace.

20. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    This has been a long time coming. The same people that own K-Mart also had something to do with Borders -- and Borders bookstore went bankrupt. I'm think that it is just bad business practices across the board. Not to mention Walmart and Target came in and took over the market.