Playing with toys vs eletronic playing

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Peninha • Oct 20, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days I feel that kids are more and more disconnected from reality, they live in a digital world (TV, computers, tablets, consoles, you name it) and they play less and less, some of them rarely go to the streets, specially in big cities. What's your position on this?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel like kids are okay to play on gadgets in moderation because I did that when I was little. However, they definitely need to limit as they should have traditional playtime. In general, they should just be kids and play outside. If they want to play more on the gadgets, they should wait until they are older.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well I agree with you but I'd take a step further and mention that this phenomenon is by no means limited to kids- half the time it's the adults they're learning it from! Or the adults in their life wanting the technology to be a babysitter so they stay plugged in with their own virtual activities. This generation of kids is growing up with technology though, it's not so much that they're turning their backs on other activities as it is that a lot of them were never encouraged to *do* other activities. A lot of my son's friends have no idea what to do if you suggest that they go play outside, or even just take a break from screen time. Instantly there are cries of "we're bored" and "There's nothing to dooooo" and the like. It's really sad in a way because while it's great for them to be technologically literate from a young age, too much screentime does have some troubling implications for attention, memory, imagination, etc.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel that we should also give the example, if we don't want them to zombie in front of the TV, computer or video-games we should not do the same. More, we should provide them valid options to play and also allow them do play electronically, just not all the time.

5. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I read this interesting article about how this parenting generation is the first to have to deal with all the new technology. We can remember when there was no internet or things like that. Were not entirely sure what to do with it all. We want them to have childhoods like we have. I'm not saying you should let them vege out all day on the screen.there are reports about how spending all day on the computer leads to things like ADHD and obesity. Its best to just set limits.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid I spent my whole days playing in the street, there were no dangers or concerns with safety. These day what parent can say that? Criminality has rose, drugs exist, so parents fear for that, but computers and games are certainly not the best solution.

7. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    This subject hits home for me because I can honestly say that, I was once a parent that relayed on technology to get my now 2 year old through our 45-55 min train ride everyday. When my daughter was one years old she knew how to work an android touch screen phone very well, she could get in and out of different apps with a breeze and she could work youtube as well as she could hold her own bottle. In my defense my daughter only played educational games, she learned all of her shapes and colors and quite a bit of sign language by using my old cell phone. I only let her use it on our train ride home everyday and it kept her very busy and engaged. With that being said, I feel like there is a time for everything and it's ok to let your kids use their devices but in moderation, they have to be able to play and interact with toys and children at some point as well. I hope that our children of the future don't develop social issues because of all of these devices and social networks.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think it's that bad. It's just how things change. I'm sure back then parents were also worried that the kids were watching too much TV when it was first introduced to homes, but decades later we learn that the scare wasn't as bad as we imagined it to be. I think people will just always gravitate naturally to what is available and as long as parents are there to guide them into moderation then it doesn't matter how many new tempting inventions pop up.

9. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Being a 90s kid, I feel kind of bad that kids these days are always glued to their screens. But I would probably do the same if I was born in this generation. I have a little brother and a nephew and a niece. I try to take them outside and do some physical activities as often as I can. Makes me wonder how I would deal with this once I already have my own kids!

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My kid gets crazy when he put his hands on my brothers tablet, he loves it. At home he plays on the laptop occasionally (only on weekends) and it's fairly old laptop, so the games all browser based. He's almost 8, so I considering getting him a tablet for Christmas, let's see how he behaves. :)

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There needs to be some kind of balance between playing games with others or make-believe games with toys and what has become the norm now: video games, portable games and so on. I think kids who play with their peers tend to develop social skills. Even though most parents hate to face the fact, video games can be addicting and once a child is hooked, they won't want to go out to play with their friends and this would negatively affect them in as far as their social skills development is concerned.

If at all it's possible, parents should limit the amount of time kids play on some device to an hour or two a day. Or down further [once a week].

12. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Toys allow children to be a little more imaginative and I believe those who are in their 20s and above have experienced it. The new generation are now exposed to electronic gadgets and toys.. while it also tickles the mind of the player, it adds another dimension to the usual we are accustomed of. Audio and Visual!

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am still considering getting the tablet for my kids, but not to use all the time. I hate when I am at a restaurant for example and kids in the other tables have their tablets with games super loud, does that make any sense?

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't believe how much time kids spend with electronic gadgets these days, and how difficult it has become to encourage them to go outside and play in nature. Many will only go if they can take their gadgets with them, so consequently there are kids sitting around playgrounds and on the beach with their various electronic toys, their eyes glued to a screen all day long. I think re-education of what it means to be a kid, might help.

15. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    My kids hardly ever play with toys. My son is nine now, so maybe that is a little understanding, but he primarily keeps his nose in his laptop. But my 3-year-old daughter hardly plays with toys either. She always wants someone's phone to play app games. I think kids today are growing up far different than I did in the 1980's.

16. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is really sad that such things are happening in the society. I believe that the kids should be encouraged to play more with other children and should engage in enough number of physical activities. I think it is fault of the parents if their children do nothing but sit at home.

17. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it's just a shift in society, many people as adults, myself included, are spending lots of time before a computer screen and on our smartphones, probably more than a decade ago. It's not too surprising that kids are doing the same, and I don't think we can really argue if it's for better or worse yet.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are studies that show the benefit of technology.. and a lot of it. I don't limit the time they spend on it, since we have many options to choose from, so knowing it's always there for them, they're more likely to take a break than someone who gets set times and won't get it again till the next day or something. We can't constantly try to hold our kids back just so they can do as we did. We lived in a very different time and can't expect them to keep up if they're thrown outside away from technology. Outside time is important, of course.. but to limit what will dominate their future isn't ideal in my opinion. Also.. I blame food for ADHD, not technology. Technology gives us many "real world" skills, including social.. just because it doesn't fit your old school definitions, doesn't make it wrong.

19. bertadee

bertadeeNew Member

Threads:
    I think that there are many valid points here from everyone. I do agree that there should be some sort of limit to what children are allowed to do with technology, as in how long they are using a device. My son is 3.5 years old and he got his first tablet last Christmas. My mother bought him a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7 inch. We later both agreed that it was too expensive for him as he was still learning to use it. He was also dropping it a lot and he is still young so he had to learn not to do things, such as throwing it when he gets frustrated. We returned the Samsung tablet to Best Buy and went with a regular Android/Google tablet for just $49. He did very well once he grasped how to operate and move around through the tablet, and now he's a pro. He has learned so much because it runs just like a computer or android smart phone, so I am able to download any and every app, video, movie, music and everything else you can think of. He is able to watch his favorite shows on the go simply from me downloading them. The expandable memory is also a great feature, I keep all his nursery rhymes and shows on it. I am now considering purchasing a new one because the screen is cracked. Every one has a different view of this topic, but I think that electronics are good for kids. As long as they are not overused and they are not just on it ALL day long because parents or caregivers are preoccupied then it is totally acceptable.

20. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Now that I have a kid, it seem hard not to give what she wants I don't want seeing kids of her age having a tablet of their own while don't have one to play. And now that I gave her a tablet of her own, her attention seem tok be just with it even when its dinner time. what can you guys suggest?