Favorite vegetable(s)?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by lrd913 • Oct 20, 2014.

1. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    Anyone big on eating vegetables? I'm not necessarily big on all vegetables, but I do have a few favorites. I love broccoli, lima beans, corn, potatoes, onions, bell peppers, cucumbers, and mushrooms. Those are some of my favorites. I really like salads with all kinds of additional veggies added, and I love beef vegetable soup.

I sometimes just steam a bowl of broccoli and eat it for a meal. I've done the same with a lima beans before. They are really filling and they always have a good taste. Anyone else have any favorite vegetables? Or do you dislike vegetables?

2. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite vegetable is broccoli. I can have just a broccoli meal and be full from it.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a vegetarian who doesn't like a lot of vegetables! The only ones I eat are petit pois peas, sweetcorn, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, spinach, mushrooms and potatoes. I cannot stand celery, zucchini, tomatoes ( though ketchup is fine) or cabbage. I do try to eat them, but often with lots of seasoning or sauces on them.

4. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I love potatoes, broccoli, onions and peppers are my favourites, I eat these regularly. Not overly keen on much else. I like spinach and can tolerate cauliflower. Like mushrooms and that's about it prefer fruit to veg. Absolutely love tomatoes.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I could never be a very happy vegetarian because there's a lot of meat in my diet and I prefer it that way, but I do love vegetables. I have more that I like than ones that I don't- I love broccoli and cauliflower, asparagus, spinach, kale, lima beans, soy beans, green beans, avocados, most others kinds of greens as well, carrots (and rainbow carrots especially), cabbage, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, peppers, zucchini and squash. There's a pretty long list, lol, I could spend a lot of time happily browsing through our farmers market most days ;).

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been a vegetarian for a long time and love all vegetables. I am especially fond of pumpkins, okra, Jerusalem artichokes, sweet potatoes, and many more. There are endless recipes available to create delicious meals made with vegetables. At home, I often like to prepare a quick stir-fry with carrots, bamboo sprouts, zucchini, capsicum, plenty of garlic, ginger and onions. To that I usually add smoked tofu, sesame seeds, chilies and a few drops of organic soy sauce. And as an accompaniment, I like to make an avocado dip with tahini, lemon and sea salt. Or hummus made with chickpeas and garlic. :)

7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I love all of the veggies mentioned here. I used to be a vegetarian but I have eaten meat for the past couple of years. My favorite veggies are probably carrots, broccoli, and asparagus. I'll eat any of them though. The only one I really don't care for is celery. I haven't liked it since I was a kid.

8. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    Oh my godness!!! I am the same way. I could eat vegetables all the time. I never used to be that way. When I was little, I would only eat a couple things. My carrots had to be not cooked or I would not eat them. I loved potatoes. That was pretty much it. When I started college, I do not know what hit me but I was down for trying everything! And you know what, I ended up loving them! If I make vegetables, I do like them cooked now. I will eat them raw too but I love cooked more. It is weird how when you are little you will only eat certain things and when you get older, you are more ok with trying new things.

9. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Don't have a favorite vegetables, but I do enjoy eating broccoli, asparagus, green mustard, potatoes, cabbage, lettuce, celery, and bokchoy. Also, its all dependent on what I feel like eating for a meal or with the main course of food I wish to eat. More over, vegetables help me digest other non-veggie foods and makes me feel healthier.

10. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Veggies are my favorite. :) I can live on vegetables alone and my most favorite is the eggplant. I can eat it boiled, fried, grilled, with egg, with spiced garlic, with tomatoes, etc. My next favorite is cabbage especially in a soup. I sometimes even put cabbage in instant noodles to make it a bit healthier and more filling. I think the only vegetable that I don't like is celery and lady's fingers (or gumbo? :confused:).

11. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I'm the same way. I eat too many things that have meat in them at this point in time to ever be a good vegetarian. I might enjoy eating meat, but I really love fruits and especially vegetables. I could browse a farmers market for hours as well. There are usually so many different items and everything always looks so fresh and enticing. If I can't buy fresh I'll usually stock up on frozen vegetables, but I prefer fresh. Broccoli has to be one of my main favorites. It's good in so many different ways and it always tastes delicious.

12. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I love stir-fry! I agree that vegetables can really create many different and unique meals. They are great for adding flavor and I'd be lost without vegetables. It's so easy to make and so many vegetables are easily added to make it more filling. I have to admit that I have never had bamboo sprouts before. I've actually never even heard of them before your comment. Are they similar to brussel sprouts? I'm very curious.

Your avocado dip sounds amazing. You need to slide that recipe over to me as soon as possible. :)

13. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big celery fan. That was one vegetable that I could never get myself to really enjoy. The only way that I would eat it was if it was smothered in peanut butter. I think my mother learned after a while that celery and I did not mix well. She once made me the celery sticks with peanut butter inside. I spent my lunch period in 2nd grade scooping the peanut butter out with my fingers. I left the celery inside my lunch bag afterwards. I think that's when my mother figured out I hated celery.

I'll eat it in soups and stuffing, but only if it's chopped into tiny (and I mean TINY pieces).

14. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I think we all need to form a "Vegetable Lovers" club. I didn't realize how many people love vegetables. It doesn't make me feel as strange.

I wasn't a big vegetable eater when I was a child. I would always try new things, but I was a very picky eater. I can eat vegetables and just be content with them as a meal. I think it's also helped that I've been trying to eat healthier in the past few years. Vegetables and fruits are my go-to foods at this point. I can eat them cooked and I like some of them raw, but I'm picky.

15. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    Eggplant is another vegetable that I've never had before. I've been wanting to try it but I always forget until I am back from the grocery store. Do you have any good recipes for eggplant? I've heard that eggplant parmesan is really good, any thoughts?

I used to hate cabbage when I was a child. My parents wold make cabbage and noodles and I would always refuse to eat it. I guess I should apologize to them, I've made cabbage and noodles countless times in the past year. It really is SO GOOD. It's just so yummy.

16. florida2015

florida2015Member

Threads:
    I am not a big vegetable lover but as I get older I have started to worry about the negative effects on my health later on. So I am trying to be more open minded and experimental with them. My latest good idea is to start buying the veggie chips. They are delicious! It took a friend several hours to convince me to try one. Glad I did. They are crispy, light, puffed and healthy. It's hard to eat just one because they don't taste like vegetables. Also, I have started eating the Mueller's tri-colored vegetable spiral pasta. It totally tastes like vegetables but I can tolerate it because I drown it in Prego spaghetti sauce and cheese. I also discovered that I love zucchini, squash, peppers and other vegetables grilled with olive oil. Delicious. I love white potatoes, cabbage, carrots, corn on the cob, kidney beans, onions, green beans, garlic, raw spinach, baked barbecue beans and raw kale salad with sesame seeds.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love vegetables, and I have loved them even when I was a kid. I've always liked broccoli the most but now that I'm older I'm gaining more appreciation for other less favored vegetables like squash and bitter gourd. Back when I was younger I never thought I'd ever touch any of these more odd vegetables but now I can't have enough of them. Throw in some carrots and some lettuce or cabbage too and I'm happy with my meal.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like almost all vegetables, it's easier to list the ones I hate because I like all the other ones. I hate beets ,bell peppers, and cauliflower. I like all the other vegetables and starches.
    I'm crazy about peas and broccoli and cook them often.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to not be a huge celery fan until I found a recipe online for stir fry celery. When you stir fry celery ,it becomes tender and takes on the taste of the soy sauce and chilies .
    My daughter said it's the best celery she's ever tasted.

20. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Mine changes all the time, but right now it's the Japanese eggplant. I just love the flavor and superior texture of these eggplants. They are not spongy or rubbery like the big round ones can be.