Plastic plates

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Oct 21, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe that most people use regular dishes and forks, knives, spoons and so on, but there are occasions when we use the plastic ones, usually in festive occasions. Are you one of those people that use the plastic plates or do you always use the regular ones?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never use plastic plates because they're harmful to the environment. The same applies to paper plates but not nearly as much. I've used paper plates from time to time, but it's so much easier to use regular plates and then use an efficient means of cleaning them without wasting too much water. You might not have to wash disposable plates, but their use adds up to a far more harmful impact than buying and using regular plates over the years.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Plastic or paper is sensible for picnic and barbecues, there is less tidying up and with children less accidents. I have plastic plates for outdoor use and will use paper plates as a back up for parties. It may not be as eco friendly, but as long as it limited use I'm fine with it as they exist for a reason.

Once you realize that many thing don't get recycled even if they are in the recycling bins, you get over the fact you can't recycle every bit of paper.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    We use plastic or paper plates when there are festivities. Doing so saves us time in terms of repeatedly washing the dishes especially when there are too many visitors. :)

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    When you say plastic, I am picturing a regular set of dishes that just happens to be made of plastic instead of porcelain. I have a set of colorful plastic dishes that I don't use often. I keep them for when I have people over and we need more dishes. Many of my friends feel more comfortable using the plastic dish set anyway because when there are lots of people crowded into a small apartment, people are afraid they might bump something and break a regular porcelain dish.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I only use plastic plates when I'm going out for a picnic since plastic doesn't break and after finishing you can just throw everything away in a trash bag (instead of carrying dirty dishes home to wash). When I'm at home I use ceramic plates only. I have plenty of them (even smaller ones) so if I'm holding a birthday where cake is involved there's enough to spread around.

7. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Only use plastic plates and cups if we are having a party. If I have loads of children round I get the plastic cups, its safer. Also if we are having a barbecue or we are going to the park or anywhere with a packed lunch. Then I will use disposable plates, cups and cutlery because its easier.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    During the summers throughout her life, but especially when she got older, my mother used paper plates all the time. She just didn't feel like washing those dishes during those times. It was unbelievably easier, even with a dishwasher. Right now, I use regular dishes, but I can't say that I would put it past me if I were extremely busy. It's one thing to clean up what I had to cook with, but then to put dishes on top of that, it would become tedious.

9. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    The only time where plastic or Styrofoam plates are ever used between me, family and people I know is only during certain occasions, such as birthdays, anniversaries, general parties or festive holiday celebrations. Sometimes I contemplate using them more often to avoid the hassle of having to deal with washing up all the dishes used between everyone in the house. I think it would save me and others in my household the task of having to do them on many nights of the week. Sure it will make the garbage mount faster, but that's a sacrifice we're more than willing to make.

#9Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A few years ago, I used to use paper plates and cups because I didn't want to wash a bunch of dishes. I finally broken down and bought some real dishes. Now, I only use paper plates for parties and picnics.

11. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    For big occasions where I have to feed a lot of people and don't have enough ceramic plates available, I prefer to use paper plates instead of plastic ones. Paper plates are not strong (or stable) enough so good thing I discovered these round plastic frames where you can insert paper plates to make it more stable. It's just perfect to use to support paper plates. I have a few dozen of these at home and just buy the paper plates when needed. :D

AAAAAnoOqsUAAAAAAO3XDg.

12. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    We use regular dishes unless we have a lot of company over. My parents are old fashion and they bring plastic utensils to work, but they end up washing the plastic utensils after.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's been a while since I used plastic plates. At that time we'd been camping and we'd got some of those plastic plates and mugs because we didn't want to have lots of stuff to lug back when the weekend was over. Washing those plates was hell. You'd use hot water and scald your hands whilst washing . . . that was the last time I used them.

These days I use only porcelain plates.

14. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So I see everyone uses the plastic dishes for the same purpose. Sure, they are bad for the environment, but how many parties that require these do you give per year? Once or two? I guess it's not that bad, it's like eating fast-food.

15. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    My family uses them during parties and holidays. With there being so many family members that attend, that is just to many dishes to be washing after the event. They do come in handy and saves you from cleaning dishes.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    During special occassions like family gatherings, we use paper plates instead of plastic plates. Paper plates are cheaper and disposable, there's no need to wash them afterwards. We have Tupperware plastic plates too, but they are for personal use.

17. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I use them when I feel like being lazy, usually during lunch. They're great for picnics and BBQ's though! I always use them during those times.

18. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I use paper place instead of plastic plates or regular ones. Paper plates I think is more environmental-friendly than plastic ones. But with the regular plates, it's less. But for the owner who will clean up the mess afterwards, it's more friendly as it would be easier to fix them than to wash those regular plates.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live with my daughter. We are a small family so we use china dishes and wash them. The only plastic plates we have are the ones that came with our picnic basket and those are meant to be washed and put back inside the picnic basket. The only time I use paper plates is at a birthday party because of the additional people and because they have a character on them that fits the theme of the party.

20. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit when we first moved down here, we ended up using paper plates and plastic cups just about 24/7 instead of buying (and washing lol) but that was pretty short lived. Now we use them only for special occasions..maybe it's a little lazy but it really does shorten the time and effort required to tidy up. And I'd rather be spending time with my family on those occasions than spending a small eternity cleaning up.