Disposable toilet seat covers

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Gelsemium • Oct 21, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel that disposable toilet set covers are a great invention to keep public toilets clean, unfortunately it's rare to see the place where they exist. Are they too expensive for establishment owners to have them or why aren't they there? Should they be mandatory?

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Really? I see them around a lot where I live, I think they're a great idea too and definitely helpful to keep things more hygienic. I don't know about mandatory though, as it could be the case that they're just not worth the cost for some places.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Toilet seat covers are one of my favorite inventions. They are pretty commonplace in California. I have noticed lately that they are becoming thinner and thinner. When I visited my relatives in the Southern part of the United States, there were no toilet seat covers. It was maddening because I don't like to squat.

4. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I too live in California, and toilet covers are pretty much mandatory for public restrooms and even portable stalls! Disposable toilet covers are definitely one of the greatest social inventions ever created by humans, because ain't no way I'm ever sitting on a public toilet seat without it or some tissue to place on the toilet seat. However, if I'm camping or hiking in the outdoors, I don't need toilet covers because I ain't sitting on anything.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    There's only free toilet paper available in public toilets where I'm from. In some cases, there's none at all. Although there's always a vending machine around where you can buy tissues or sanitary napkins but still no toilet seat cover available. I also don't think they will be providing toilet seat cover too in the near future. :( So it's always been a habit of mine to bring my own toilet seat cover and some tissues too in my bag just in case. :)

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's been proven that toilet seat covers provide little to no protection against germs and pathogens in public restrooms. They're completely pointless, and if you happen to be spending money on them, then you're literally throwing money down the toilet. These covers might offer peace of mind, but they're otherwise doing nothing.

7. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I must be living in a cave or in space, this is the first time that I have ever! heard about disposable toilet seat covers, thanks for bringing it to my attention my friend! I have a few questions to ask about them before I go and do my own research, how many times do you use the seat covers before disposing of it? secondly, how do you dispose of them properly? and thirdly, what are they made of? Thanks again for bringing this to my attention, great thread!

8. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    They are fairly common where I am, but not everyone has them. I just put TP on the seat if they are not available. I love it when they are though. I rip the inside part completely out and use it as blotting paper on my face when they are available. It is seriously the best quick oil remover ever.

9. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I never use them. If I'm going to sit down in a public spot, I use the toilet paper to line the seat with a three ply application. The seats just look too thin for me to be comfortable with using them.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once. They go down the toilet bowl with everything else when you flush.

The force of the flush pulls them into the bowl...most of the time. ;)

Paper. Very thin paper.

I found an article about the effectiveness of toilet bowl covers. It won't stop me from using them though.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think I've seen them as well made from plastic, but they are used only once of course because we sit on them, so it would not be hygienic to have several people sitting in the same place while doing their needs...

12. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I always use them in public places where they are available. I always carry some Clorox wipes for when toilet covers are not available. Even if they are, I still wipe the seat before I put the toilet cover on there. I hat sitting on toilets where it is available to everybody. Sometimes I squat over the seat instead of sitting on it.

13. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of using public restrooms, so I would prefer that business carry these a lot more often than they currently do. I think it's a lot more sanitary considering all the people who use public restrooms on a daily basis. Seems like it would be a common sense thing to do. I don't think business owners should be required to use them. It is definitely a good idea to do so, though.

14. Chavy

ChavyNew Member

Threads:
    Disposable Toilet Seat Covers are useful and no question about it. If you travel to Asian countries where water is used in toilets, you MUST have these if you happen to use public toilets. Water Proof Seat Covers are ideal for wet toilet seats. In Sri Lanka, you can buy these from super markets.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is it strange that I have never heard of or seen these??? Just the very idea seems fabulous though. Perhaps because I leave the house very rarely, and I use public toilets even less. In fact, I am often so grossed out by then that I will hold my pee and avoid them at all costs. They smell awful and I don't want my shoes to touch the toilet floor, only for me to walk those shoes into my own house. Petty but true. Lol. I think that they should be mandatory. I live in a house with five other people and every time I use the toilet I spray the seat with disinfectant and wipe it over, before I will sit down on it.

16. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    The only place I've seen that regularly has these available is Quik Trip. Otherwise I rarely see them and its a bit disappointing. Public toilets are not very sanitary so I think companies should really invest in these. It's not like it's going to cost them a ton of money. In terms of personal hygiene, it's a definite positive to have these available for use by your customers. I've seen some pretty disgusting things in public restrooms.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I am not surprised that you haven't heard of them, I've seen them just a few times and I go to a lot of restaurants, so if you don't visit many I guess it's normal you don't see them. Either cases, I suppose it's a big expense for the restaurant owners, but it's a big hygiene plus as well.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Walmarts near me have the disposable toilet seat covers but I haven't seen them in other businesses. I've gotten into the habit of just carrying around a small can of Lysol so that I'm ready in case of a stop in a public bathroom.

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's not a bad idea at all ACSAPA, nothing like carrying our own products to be cleaner, but on the other hand I think that if governments created this law that made this mandatory that we would all be better served and would not be disgusted to use some of these facilities.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love the idea of them, but I don't understand. Who actually changes these covers once they have been used? Is there a certain amount of times that they can be used before being disposed? I don't want anyone's ass skin cells touching my ass skin cells unless I am sleeping with the person, and even then lol.

I just prefer not to go into public restrooms at all. They are highly uncomfortable for me - just being in them, and having my shoes touch the floor. The smell. I'd rather hold the pee. If I can't then I guess it is better to be safe than sorry and carry around my own little bottle of disinfectant.