Do You Love It or Hate It when People buy you Clothing?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by ohiotom76 • Oct 21, 2014.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind something like socks or shoes, as long as they are neutral and classic looking, but that is about as far as I will go with people gifting me clothing. Aside from that, I dread it when someone in my family starts nagging me if there are any clothes I want or anything they can get me for Christmas. They will not simply just get me a gift card and let me shop in peace, they have to keep nagging me about what size I currently wear, which, if I've gained some weight, is followed up with a smart ass remark about it too. It's as if the whole "I want to get you some clothes for Christmas" thing was just a passive aggressive set up for them to make a crack about me putting on some weight.

The other issue is they pick out ugly crap. My dad is the worst with this. He cannot resist it if he see's a shirt or a jacket on sale - it could be the most god awful ugly thing and he will buy it as a gift for one of us, then start arguing with us why we don't want to wear it.

2. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    This literally made me laugh out loud. Yes! I have been there so many times with the same issue! It is annoying. Only certain people can buy me clothes from the family because they will actually find the cute things. You should tell your dad that you want clothes from Victoria Secret or some store that you like. That way, whatever he buys, you can always guarantee it to be cute. I totally think family members should just get over it if they are mad because you do not want them to buy you clothes. Tell them they should just buy you pajama outfits if they are going to buy you something clothes wise. If I get any clothes that are ugly, I always find the receipt and return it. Of course most of the time they were on sale too. If only family would listen. Money is money. They should let you buy clothes that you want.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I actually don't "hate" the idea of someone buying/giving me clothes as a gift. It's still a gift, they remembered me and I'm grateful for that. However, clothes is something personal for me or what I mean to say is that I choose what I wear personally. :D

What I really hate is when I can't wear the clothes that I receive just because it's really not my style (or it's too big or too small or color is too loud, etc..). Because I feel that I can only show real appreciation to the giver, If I can use or wear the gift he or she has given me. :(

4. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    My Mom has given up on buying me clothes. I never like them and always return them. We simply do not have the same taste at all and I am a little picky, I guess ;) I prefer gift cards. For this same reason I don't buy clothes for anybody else either or I always give it with a gift receipt. Buying clothes for others stresses me out so I just avoid it all together most of the time.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind getting clothes as gifts as long as they are the right size. Even if the person who buys the clothes choose the ugliest because it's the cheapest, I'd still wear the clothes because where I live no one might see me in [them] ugly duds. Ever. Unless I wear them when I go to town to buy or sell stuff, that is [which is unlikely].

6. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    I totally hate it! I like being able to choose my own clothing, I'd rather get money and go out find some clothes on my taste then receive them from someone who thinks he knows "what would fit me". The exception about this would be socks and maybe underwear, I'm not really into choosing that, I just go with something classic.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    An ex bought me clothes one Christmas and that was nearly enough to end the relationship that day! He bought me pink (not a pink girl) flannel pajamas and baggy Armarni jeans in the wrong size. You should only buy clothing that people have picked themselves unless it's Chanel or an expensive designer label, then you just say thanks!

I've bought for my brother, but I know what he likes and he knows what I like. Things like gloves and scarves are fine, but still I never wear them and they end up in a corner in the cupboard or I let other family members use them under the guise they borrowed it.

8. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    Well I am a huge Dallas Cowboys fan. So I get anything related to that I usually pretty happy. Other than that, I would rather not get clothing as gifts since most people usually would not know what I would like. I would be happy with even gift cards as an alternative.

9. florida2015

florida2015Member

Threads:
    I always hate it when my family and friends buy me clothes for special occasions. I always tell everyone to buy me a gift card to Belk's or Wal-Mart and I will buy what I need. I am a gift card lover and always have been. They are great for the younger teenage members of the family whose clothing tastes change regularly. They are also happy with a VISA gift card. I have received thick cotton sleepers with the feet in them recently that were way too big, leather coats that I can't wear because the smell hurts my sinuses, polyester skirt suits which I don't need because we don't dress up at work and an expensive Coach purse that costs more than the money I have to put in it! They now take my advice and give me the gift card I always ask for.

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I'd rather have people give me a gift card so I can try the clothes on myself. There are two reasons for this. The first is that they usually buy me clothes that are too big and I find that offensive. Or they buy me clothes that are too small then I feel bad that I can not fit into them. It's just a lose lose situation.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I neither love it or hate it. Sometimes I get really nice clothes out of it and sometimes all I get is crap, but all in all I think it's better than nothing. I surely prefer getting shirts and pants more than socks or underwear though, unless the underwear was a designer brand. I don't really mind getting ugly clothes either because I could just give them away. My family doesn't really follow up on me wearing them though so I guess that helps.

12. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I get the hump when people buy me clothes (apart from socks) because they always get the wrong size and I then have to ask them to exchange it and they give me a funny look like I didn't like the choice they made despite my insistence that it is only the size that is wrong. I'm a XXL kind of guy who can wear an XL, but buying me a medium is not going to work. :)

13. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I hate it because most of the time it's too small. Usually one of my aunts will buy the same item for all of the cousins (in different colors or whatever) and then just get me an xl when I'm a 2x because it's the largest they found and they hope it fits. I understand they wouldn't want to go to a special plus size store or section but then why even bother buying me clothes in the first place. Like for my birthday I got an xl pajama and xl gym clothes that I can't wear. I usually end up giving them away secretly.

14. kbroder9

kbroder9Member

Threads:
    I love the idea of someone trying to find me something in a store or online that they think I would really like or would look good in. The sad reality is, you really need to buy for yourself because sizes and styles vary so much from store to store. And if it's around the holidays and you try to return your purchases, you get ripped off on what money you get back. I'd much rather someone give me a gift card and say have fun shopping, maybe we can go together and I'll buy you lunch and make a day of it. Although, if I tell them exactly what I want and receive it, then everything is good to go!

15. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Not really because my friends and relatives know what I want. Very rarely has somebody given me something that I don't want. And I don't like shopping myself. So it's actually nice to have others do the buying for me. Lol.

16. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    If they get me something I need I am really happy about it, but often I have been given clothes when I already had more than enough of them but had a serious financial need that my family decided to ignore and give me stuff I could not turn into cash to meet the need that I constantly told them all I wanted was money to pay off the loan which was constantly hanging over my head and I had everything else I could possibly need, I just wanted out of debt.

Now that my loans have been paid off, I would definitely appreciate clothing if it was something I like.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally understand. It sucks when you have to pay your light bill and someone gets you an ugly sweater that cost enough money to cover the light bill, and you would have preferred the money. I hate it when people buy me clothes because they never get me cool shirts with skulls or Walking Dead t shirts, or video game t shirts.
    It's always generic girly crap that I don't wear because I'm a tomboy. I'm a difficult person to shop for because I'm a huge nerd. I'd rather just get ground coffee as a gift and some people have gotten me bags of coffee grounds, which I loved.

18. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    My dad is the worst at picking me out clothes. I don't say anything to him because I know I can always take it back and get something that I like. I was raised that it's not what you get, it's the thoughy that counts. I don't mind my brother or sister buying me clothes because they know exactly what I like and don't like. My sister always gets it right since we fit the same size, all she has to do is try it on to see if it fits her, which I like.

19. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I hear you on that. As for me though, I have no problem with people buying me clothes. A majority of my family already know what I like and what I want, sharing the same kind of taste as me. The only time I sort of worry is when my dad or few of friends of my relatives might shop for clothes a bit larger than I wear, as this isn't the 90's/early 2000's anymore where I would wear some baggy clothing. But most of my family members buy the right sizes for me.

20. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I love socks. I have kind of a sock obsession as i hate going barefoot and I hate wearing shoes in the house. So my family usually gets me socks. Gloves also I do not mind. For the most part otherwise no they do not even dare to try to buy me clothes for holidays. They will usually get me gift cards and let me buy my own clothing which works out well for everyone.