Does changing room restrictions annoy you?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by sarz • Oct 21, 2014.

1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't bother me as usually I can't be bothered to wait endlessly to try something on anyway as I have mentioned. But having worked in retail I see that it is an annoyance to many people. Because obviously not everyone has the intention of stealing and its inconvenient and more time consuming having to try on items in groups of however many are permitted. Does this bother you, or can you see why its necessary. Maybe its a bit of both :)

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    No, it doesn't bother me, especially in the higher end stores because you have someone there that is helping you out by removing the clothes that you aren't going to buy and going to grab another size if needed. I've had people even make suggestions that I didn't see, but they took a chance on due to what I already took into the room.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind the restrictions. I used to work retail so I completely understand. I really don't like group changing rooms. I used to tolerate that when I was younger. Now, no way. I will spend my money elsewhere.

4. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think the only reason for the clothing limitation in a dressing room is to prevent stealing. If someone has a cart full of clothing they will obviously be in the dressing room for FAR too long. The limitation cuts down on the time each person will take in a dressing room. However, with that said, I still find it annoying from time to time when I'm the person with a pile of cute clothes to try on. Regardless, I understand that there are multiple reasons for limitations.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some people that want to try on everything so there have to be limitations. I'm not one of those people, I take in a couple of sizes, but only what I really need to try on.

Many places are accommodating and you can leave things outside and swap them to make up your maximum garment count or take a friend to double the allowance. I don't like changing rooms and like to be in and out, but for some they can stay there and make up outfits for an hour or so and then buy nothing!

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a single mother on a budget, I rarely spend money on new clothes for myself, so the fitting room limitations don't affect me.
    I usually buy 3 items at a time, so I don't have to try on a lot of stuff. My thought is usually "I need a new black shirt to replace the worn out one. Which of these 3 will fit me?"
    I've never had the dilemma of being at a high end fashion store trying on several fancy outfits.

7. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    I don't mind the restrictions if it is within reason. I understand that you do not want an individual bringing in 10 or some other exaggerated number of items in there for multiple reasons. But still the restrictions can be very annoying sometimes.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I get annoyed when they only allow one person per room because sometimes I shop with my sister and I like her to see what I am wearing. It is embarrassing to step out of the room in front of 20 other ladies and children just to hear her opinion. I think it makes shopping easier when you can go in with a family member. I get that you wouldn't want a co-ed room, but come on!

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I am sure that these restrictions bother anyone who uses changing room quite regularly and does not want to keep coming out to try out clothes. I have had these experiences and it is more than just frustration that builds in. I think it is really not necessary to keep the restrictions as I see no point in it.

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    No, it doesn't bother me- it rarely even affects me at all as I really don't spend a lot of time getting new clothes these days, and if I do I'm not buying a ton of things at once anyway. Plus I do see the need and why they're in place, and I think it's a reasonable precaution for stores to take. It's a mild inconvenience at worst.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I admit, I get irritated if I have to wait for a long time, after having to press some bell and wait for a changing room attendant to appear. I don't care about any restrictions, as long as they are reasonable. Obviously, I wouldn't want to have to give out any personal details just for trying on clothes. My preference are changing rooms into which you can just walk at your own leisure and try on as many clothes as you want, without any tension.

12. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! I just had this problem yesterday while shopping for slacks. I want to try about five because they came in different styles. However, the lady told me that I can only try two at a time. I understand that the restriction is implemented to make sure that people will not try to steal clothes. But think about it. How can one person steal five slacks?

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Why would it bother, if it were for the sake of the majority and even for myself, then I couldn't complain. Besides, I don't find it big deal at all. Restrictions that they commonly pose aren't that hard to comply and that don't really affect my need or my convenience, so why would I bother myself and ruin my day?

14. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I have worked retail too so they don't bother me. It is shocking how often/how much merchandise people try to steal in changing rooms. It never really crossed my mind until I worked at a clothing store. People have all sorts of methods or "tricks" they try to use to get away with it. Sheesh.

15. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    It doesn't bother me at all. Actually, I don't really notice and when I am told by a retail employee about the restrictions, I take only what is allow back to the changing room. I understand why the restrictions are in place and for some reason it doesn't annoy me. I guess because I don't really try on clothes that much and when I do, I try to make it very quick to save on time.

16. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    The restrictions does not bother me because I always have someone there shopping with me and they hold the clothes that I will try on next. I understand that clothing stores have restrictions because it gives them the ability to keep things from being stollen. When I finish trying on the group of clothing that I am allowed at a time, I give them to my friend and tell her which ones I am buying and which ones I am not, then she gives me another set to try on.

17. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind restrictions but I find it really annoying if they only let 3 pieces. Most stores don't have someone there handing you the items so it just means I have to dress up in my normal clothes to go out and exchange my pieces. I think a 6 item restriction is more reasonable. But my favorite store has no restrictions and I love it. It's just easier to bring everything to the changing room in one trip.