Something You Might Not Know About Refurbished iPads

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by troutski • Oct 22, 2014.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you buy a refurbished computer or tablet, each manufacturer sets its own rules and process for refurbishing a given device. Many manufacturers are lax on how they take care of refurbishing their units, and you can't always trust them. However, Apple's refurbished iPads (directly from Apple) are given new life like no other device. You'll wind up with a new battery, a one-year warranty, and other fixes. If there's issues with the casing, then Apple will replace it during the refurbishing processes. It's one of the few guaranteed deals you can get from a refurbished device where you can know the device is in 99.9% like new condition.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the information. The downside, however, is that our own Apple stores (the ones you normally see in the malls or at condominiums) don't sell refurbished iPads. Everything's totally brand new including the Macs and the iPods. Which Apple store refurbishes iPads and other such gadgets? Are refurbished gadgets available in Apple branches at Asia, Australia. Africa and Europe? It'd be interesting to know.

3. troutski

Threads:
    Yeah, Apple only sells its refurbished products through its website. That's just how they do things.

These items are never available in store, unfortunately. I don't know about Apple store locations overseas, either. I'm assuming you can get a refurbished unit shipped directly from Apple around the world, though.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting info that makes sense. Apple is know for it's quality, so refurbishing older devices under their own rules assures quality even when we talk about used devices - great way to make sure your brand doesn't suffer from poorly made work. Good prices too, 46% off is the max I see, quite a price cut if you don't mind using older generation hardware.

5. troutski

Threads:
    Luckily, a lot of the older generations are still comparable to the current gen, except perhaps for top of the line devices (the iPad Air, Macbook Pro, etc.) For instance, the only difference between the iPad Mini 3 and iPad Mini 2 is the fingerprint sensor, but the latter is $200 cheaper when buying refurbished in some cases. Apple does the refurbishing thing far better than most manufacturers. Your chances of getting a lemon are exceptionally low compared to other refurbished brands.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have always wanted to buy refurbished from their website. Sometimes they have some really good deals. My only problem is that Apple products do not last that long. Their batteries will only last a year and are really expensive. I have a Macbook Pro and I need a new charger. That charger is going to cost me the same amount of money it would cost to buy a new tablet. I will never buy from Apple again. I am sticking to PCs.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the info, 46% is quite a lot, but when the item arrives in my country, it will be stored in the customs office and you will be forced to pay large taxes, so you wouldn't really be able to save. I wish they would start selling it directly in their physical stores.

8. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    My sister got her refurbished Mac through her friend living in the US. She couldn't find any here, so that was her only option. If I remember correctly, she could have had one shipped, but it would have been more expensive. So it helps if you know someone from the US to purchase the device for you.

9. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Good to know, and they still cost an arm and a leg. I won't be getting one of those anytime soon, or like, ever... It's great that they have such high standards though, if I had money, I would definitely be more likely to buy refurbished form them than from someone independent that I don't know if I can trust to do a good job.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I live outside U.S. and refurbished products aren't available here. Whenever I access the local version of the Apple site the refurbished section is always empty but whenever I check the U.S. site only then can I view the refurbished products. I'm guessing it's probably because if they shipped the refurbished goods then the cost would bring it up to equal the brand new price so they just don't bother.

11. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    While the only reason that I've wanted an iPad as of late is for very specific applications, I didn't know that their refurbs were that well tended to. I probably still wouldn't buy one as I think I would just really want a new one as part of the thrill of buying a new gadget. But, I think I will at least look into the cost and what an older unit can do in regards to iOS 8.1 or whatever version their on now. That's the other issue with Apple, I've read that they abandon older models like nobody's business.

12. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    I have been the owner of an apple iphone for a few years now. I have been lucky enough to participate on upgrading my iphone to an iphone 6 plus recently. I love my Apple product however, I do not trust refurbished products no matter what brand it is. I believe apple takes pride in all their devices but the fact of the matter is that no matter what refurbished item you are perchasing, its still used. I prefer to buy good quality NEW products instead of used ones. You would not even concider buying used food so why would you have to settle for a device that has been used. Think about it :)