How Do You Save Money On Drinks?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Oct 22, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Supposing you're not a habitual drinker but go out once in a while with friends, how can you enjoy your Time Out without having to spend too much on drinks?

Got tips you can share?

I'll get the ball rolling:

Friends go out so they can have some fun. So best thing for you to do is take small sips [of your drink] and talk more. How would this help? Simple. The more you talk, the less you'll drink. Wouldn't that be good for your wallet?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no idea. I think I simply purchase a drink that costs less yet with more content. For instance, we were dining at a Dimsum restaurant once and I thought it wasn't reasonable to order soft drink in a restaurant because they often charge double the amount you normally pay when you buy a regular can in a grocery store. I ordered tea instead which was so cheap I paid less than a dollar. Surprisingly, the tea was boiled in this teapot and it took me five cups to down everything whereas my friends finished their exorbitant drinks earlier than I did.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Buy some water and drink that? I mean, water is not something that you drink fast anyway, it's cheap, and no one will judge you if you drink it slower. If water is not an option do like xTinx suggested - purchase the bigger, inexpensive bottle. This is something I do when going to the clubs - I dislike the 0,33 bottles so I buy the 0,50 ones when available. This coupled with small sips keeps me going the whole night in some cases.

4. florida2015

florida2015Member

Threads:
    About 4 years ago, my friend and I used to share a mixed drink. Neither of us were regular drinkers so half of a drink was always enough for us, especially on an empty stomach. We would either share a Long Island iced tea, regular Mojito, Black Russian or strawberry daiquiri, or ask for another empty glass and pour it in. We never had any problems from the waitstaff or the restaurant. I prefer to drink water with my meals most of the time because that way I can fully taste all of my food flavors.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I just try to limit the nights I go out drinking. It's good for my health and budget. Otherwise I'll drink some water in between drinks. Sometimes I find myself taking sips just because someone else is. Having water is a good way to regulate how much fluid I'm taking in and it helps me feel better the next day.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a drinker so I'm usually the designated driver. Unfortunately, a regular Coke or a ginger ale can still cost around $5. Virgin drinks cost almost as much as the drink with alcohol. I don't get that. I just buy one drink and I sip on it all night.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a non-drinker, so obviously I don't worry about saving money on drinks. But I used to work in a bar for a while and observe the drinking and money spending habits of my customers. The reality is that most people can't control their need for a certain number of drinks. And if they can't afford to pay for it, they will either ask their friends to help them out, or they try to get credit at the bar. In most cases of people who come with the intention of buying only one or two drinks, they usually get thirstier and more animated as the evening carries on, and the idea of taking only small sips and saving, flies out the window.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    - "Well" liquor, aka "bottom shelf", aka the cheap stuff, is often just fine for cocktails and other mixed drinks. The bartenders and servers are often required to try and "upsell" you the more expensive liquors, but you can just politely decline them. I would only splurge for the good stuff if you are drinking it straight up or on the rocks.

- If they ask if you want a "tall" or a "short" drink, take a good look at the glasses, often times the "tall" glass can fit into the "small" glass. The shape of the glass merely gives the illusion that you are getting more ( and consequently paying more ). Same goes for beers on tap. Actually, one of the major league baseball stadiums is being sued for this, for selling tall beers that were actually the same amount as their regular size beers. Plus they usually don't pour you more liquor, they just top it off with more soda or whatever other mixers are in your drink.

- If you plan on having a few glasses of wine, or you know there are several of you drinking the same wine, buy it by the bottle instead. Wine is already ridiculously overpriced in bars and restaurants, but it costs you even more if you keep ordering it by the glass. Or even better, look for a restaurant that allows you to bring your own bottle. They may still charge a "corking" fee though since that is eating into their profits.

- Ask if there are any drink specials. Some bars/restaurants will feature these on certain days of the week to lure in customers.

- Some bars/restaurants will sell beer or mixed drinks by the pitcher/bucket - you can often save by buying these.

- Discuss with your friends the option of maybe only having one or two drinks at the bar/restaurant you are at, then taking the party over to one of your houses, where you can all split a bottle or two of booze and save a lot of money in the process.

Some Don'ts:

- Don't order a water with extra lemon, then proceed to make "lemonade" at your table with the sugar packets. You will very quickly piss off your server/bartender and nothing screams "cheap tipper" than doing stuff like that. It's fine to just order tap water though, even if they try to upsell you bottled water.

- Don't order Long Island Iced Teas or other mixed drinks that have a bunch of ingredients, the bartenders cannot stand making these especially when they are slammed. Plus you really shouldn't be pounding boozy drinks like that and getting sloppy drunk in public.

- Don't polish off like 3/4 of your drink, then send it back to your server complaining you didn't taste any alcohol. That's the oldest trick in the book and the servers and managers are used to it.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many bars and clubs have special nights where they offer discounts on certain drinks or on specific brands of beer, or tap beer. So, you can try to plan on going out on one of those nights. They usually have other ongoing specials as well, so it's not a bad idea to ask if there are any specials if you go spur of the moment. Otherwise, draft beer (non-imported) and bottled drinks like wine coolers, tend to be cheaper than buying mixed drinks.

You could also try water with a twist or wedge of fruit, in between mixed drinks, and most people won't know the difference. When I tended bar, this was fairly common. Whether it was to save money or to save face (by not getting too drunk) I don't know for sure.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like ohiotom pretty much covered it. The truth is if you're concerned about saving money going out & drinking is definitely a bad idea. You drive there, pay for parking, sometimes pay to get in, pay for drinks, pay tip, & maybe eat after? Nickel & diming it when you go out is not a great idea.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me I will just keep it simple. I just won't go out at all! I will only go out when I am willing to spend my money on food and drinks. I noticed that when I am out, I tend to spend unnecessarily on food since I get thirsty and hungry when I'm outside. So if I want to entertain myself, then there's the internet and cable tv to keep me company.

12. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    If you're a non-drinker, simply stick to water or water with lemon in it. But as long as you're not ruining the experience for yourself or others, do what you have to do.

13. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    I find a hot girl who can go to the bar and get one for me ;)