Companies doing away with insurance for part time employees

Discussion in Life & Health Insurance started by Sweetkymom • Oct 22, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I just received a letter from the company where I currently have worked for 6 years and have had insurance for 5 years. I have been part time since I started working for this company. Not once did they notify us workers that if we work under a certain amount of hours that we'd lose our insurance. Well, this letter they sent me said they knew since 2012 and that Ive not worked those hours so I'm losing my insurance. My last day is December 31.

I do not see how they can just drop alot of people with no advance warning. Its not fair and I let the personnel office know this. I'm also calling corporate headquarters and letting them know just how injustice this was of them.

2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    @Sweetkymom, you are a strong and smart person, I think that after you report this, and ensure that it goes public really well, withdraw from that insurer, and never go to them again, even if you start to work full time, or work more hours, I think that's discrimination more than anything else. Health is a thing that all should have when working, no matter how little they work. But anyway, their loss, not yours, you have way more companies to chose from.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I am so sorry to hear that! It is very unfair to drop a long term employee like that! I can see them changing their policy on new hires, but this is something more and more companies are doing and it is indeed an injustice. Try going to localhelp.healthcare.gov There is a section called Marketplace where you can shop for insurance available through your state. If you are married you might be able to get under your spouses insurance as well. You can also apply for Medicaid if you are low income or disabled. Maybe if enough people complain, the company will at least offer a discounted rate for the employees to stay on that insurance. Surely there would be a benefit to them to have a large group of people stay on the plan - you just need to research what those benefits might be and then present the idea to them soon. I wish you all the best!

4. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    It seems to me that the company should have some kind of written policy letting workers know that if they only work a certain number of hours that insurance is not available to them.
    They have known since 2012? I don't understand why they are telling you that, and what that has to do with anything.
    Anyway, keep your head up, and that's good that you've reported them if they are engaging in unfair business practices.