Do you like reading while traveling?

Discussion in Travel started by GenevB • Oct 22, 2014.

1. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    Reading while traveling is the main charm for me, even I go with the airplane or with train I always take a good book with me to keep me from getting bored. After I arrive to the destination and find myself a hotel to stay, I always start on reading until the next day. I always go on a trip with on day early especially for this "reading time". I can read and travel the whole day and after that I take care of my businesses.

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    If I am not the man moving, driving, or controlling a vehicle, then yes I do like reading something while traveling. Most of the time, I read anything I have brought along, which can be a wide range of subjects i care to read about. Sometimes, I simply like to look at those old paper maps and simply get familiar with where I'm headed to and where places are in case I do get stuck or lost on the road. Reading is something I enjoy doing much when traveling, a lot more than watching movies or listening to music, but less so than having a good conversation with my siblings or friends.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I live in Los Angeles and my boyfriend lives in Oakland. It's an 8 hour bus ride to get there and I do a lot of reading while on the bus. I am that girl who leaves the light on all night. I get bored and reading just helps to pass the time. I like to also do puzzle books. It is only an hour long flight there, but those flights can cost $200 so instead I buy a $20 bus ticket. Sometimes I was able to buy a bus ticket for $2 when they had a crazy sale.

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Oh definitely, that's one of the things I love about the actual process of traveling itself- lots of uninterrupted time to read. I'm the same way, I'll pick the book back up in the hotel and snuggle up with it for hours a lot of the time. I get a little sick if I read in the car, but I can read on planes and trains without any problem.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I always bring a book and something lighter like a magazine when I travel. It helps pass the time. If I'm going on an especially long trip I'll download some audiobooks too. Sometimes reading on planes or other places with poor lighting can strain my eyes.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always carry a book with me when I am travelling, but so far I have never read a single page. I much prefer to doze during long flights, looking out the window if there is something to see, listening to music, or watching a movie. On buses and trains, I am much the same, trying to rest as much as possible, while watching the landscape passing by. If I have to wait for several hours at an airport, I usually head for the nearest furniture where I can stretch out and just close my eyes for a while. And as for hotels, I generally like to make use of whatever my room has to offer, which usually means taking a long hot bath or shower. And afterwards, I like spending some time in the lounge or on the terrace, sipping coffee and just absorbing my environment.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I travel solo [most of the time]. At home. Since I'm the one doing the driving, obviously, I never read. Back in time though when I did travel abroad occasionally, because other passengers can be noisy or too talkative [and I dislike such people] reading amidst all that would be impossible [at least for me, distractions drive me crazy] so I'd instead listen to music.

8. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    GenevB! Reading is also a great charm for me while travelling. I never forgot to keep any interesting book with me. It not only prevents me to getting bored but also gives me good and helpful knowledge. Furthermore I listen music, watching movies on my tablet and look out from the window. These all activities make my travel special and pleasant.

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm always trying to use my time in the most useful of ways so reading while traveling is something I often do. I used to always carry a book or two with me when traveling but these days I'm leaning towards e-books. It's easier to read on your phone for example, you save some space on the luggage by not taking hard-cover books. And yes, seeing the landscape/clouds slide past you as you read adds to the charm of the story.

10. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I travel a lot on buses, trains and coaches and reading while on them is my second favourite thing to do (my first is sleep, obviously). Although when I use London and Manchester buses I don't get much reading done as the buses jerk so violently that I find it almost impossible to focus on reading.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't read while traveling as I can't concentrate with people around me or noises. It irritates me more, so I can only read magazines or newspapers. Just imagine you are reading an important plot and someone wants you to get up to go to the bathroom or the cabin crew ask you for tea or coffee. It actually ruins the book, so I tend to read when I am alone with no distractions so I can immerse myself in the book.

12. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Usually when I travel I have a set of itinerary that would allow only some free personal time. I would find the time to read during those free time slots. Travel has actually been the reason why I bought some of the books I have. I am thinking of upgrading to Kindle which would allow me to read electric copies of books when I travel. Or perhaps during commute.

13. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely, it's the only way I can stand a long car or bus ride. I hate the process of traveling so much. I need to be lost in a book in order to feel like I'm not stuck FOREVER in this stupid vehicle. It is also a protection for me on a bus because it clearly tells the person next to me that I am not interested in conversation, so don't bother.

14. florida2015

florida2015Member

Threads:
    Traveling is one of my favorite things to do and I love to read. It is the best escape. When I am flying I am always nervous so I flip the pages of the airline magazine. There is always a lot of time scheduled in the hotel for me to snuggle in bed and read until I fall asleep. I also sit around the pool and read a lot. I am a very early morning person so I will read before my friend wakes up. It's my favorite time of day. I can read in the car if the music isn't too loud. I can even read in the airport waiting area but I can't concentrate very well. I try to find nice parks with a lake wherever I am and go there and read books and magazines for peace and quiet. I hardly ever read the free USA Today newspaper in the room. I like to take public transportation during my travels and read on the city buses and trains.

15. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, no, I don't. I like to know that I will be able to sit down and read without interruption. So, while I know that most trips would be smooth, just all of the people around me would disturb the possibility of a peaceful read.

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never go anywhere without a book. I tend to be bored with playing mobile games (plus it runs the risk of draining my battery early on) so to give my trip a more "leisurely feel," I read a novel (usually the latest novel in my reading list), immerse myself in the story and give my imagination free reign while the airplane or the bus makes its way toward my destination. I also bring my trusted pen and notebook with me so I can write away my experiences while in-transit.

17. kbroder9

kbroder9Member

Threads:
    Love to read while traveling! Especially on planes or trains. And not those silly digital copies, real books! I have a 1000-page book ready to go for my Scotland trip and I don't care how heavy it is, it's coming with! I still remember getting the sixth Harry Potter book in New Zealand before my American friends got to read it and read all through the vacation (the time change helped a lot with that being up at 3am with nothing to do...). Any favorite travel books?

18. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Reading is definitely a good way to kill time while travelling. I tend to prefer surfing the Internet on a phone or tablet, however that is not always practical (e.g. if you are on a plane, or if there is no electricity nearby to keep your battery charged for the next few hours). I always keep a few books on hand to read whenever I have free time, it is much more satisfying than doing nothing at all!

19. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have always loved reading while travelling but I prefer it even better if I am all alone while travelling. I think it is quite awesome to pass time while travelling if you are alone while travelling. I think it is great to be with people while travelling but if you are not able to do so then a book can always be of great help.

20. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes akiii123! I agree with you that the book is the precious companion while travelling alone but my problem is that I don’t like to travel alone. It made me confused and sad. Mostly I prefer to travel with my any family member or with my friend. If I not be able to do so, I try to convince my any cousin but mostly avoid to travelling alone.