Electric or heated balnkets

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Oct 23, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never had one, but tried a friends once while at her house and it was nice, but are they economical and safe? I've been thinking about getting one as they are becoming more affordable, but I don't need it, but if it saves money it may be worth weighing up the costs.

If it cuts down on heating bills it would be worthwhile, but I prefer to use a hot water bottle as it is cheaper and safer.

Does anyone use one and do they save money?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    We used one for a long time and did not find it to make our heating bill go up or find it to be dangerous. However, I have heard people say they can be dangerous so you would want to look up all the advantages and disadvantages to make an informed choice. The reason it can save money is that you can turn your thermostat down at night and then instead of trying to heat the entire house, you will only be heating your little blanket. Some feel that sleeping under something 'electromagnetic' can present an additional danger to your health. But on a daily basis, we live under electromagnetic fields (power lines, appliances, etc.) so one can reason that if it is not harming you in other areas, it won't harm you in this one either. Pregnant women would want to abstain from their use because of the potential risks involved.

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I've had multiple electric blankets and I absolutely love them in the winter time. I like staying warm and that's a great way to do it. the only problem with that is that it seems like unless you lay them down and rest on top of them, you get burrito'd into them and end up getting overly hot.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I am kind of afraid of them. I would not want to accidentally grab the blanket while turning over and over bend a wire, causing a short. I am also kind of weirded out by the idea of something being warm in and of itself, while not weighting much. There is something very cozy about the weight of heavy quilts and blankets in winter. I think electric blankets are great as tool for hypothermia, but not for regular use. If I lived in a place where extreme cold was the norm in winter and thus the risk of getting a little hypothermic if I had to do something outside, I would definitely keep one on hand for quick warming up in the event of getting very cold.

5. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I love them. I don't think they are very dangerous - my grandparents had them in the late 60s and early 70s and nothing untoward happened and I'm sure many many advances have been made since then. I got one from my parents for Christmas once and was very excited but it immediately shorted out (not causing any sparks or flames or anything) and they had not saved the receipt so..:((( And as others have said the way they save money is you can turn your heat down so you aren't heating the whole house but just your bed:)

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've thought about these before, especially around this time of year...they do seem like they could be really nice and I'm certain that they would save me heating costs, but I have to admit as much as I think I would really enjoy one, I'm also somewhat afraid of them. You hear all the time that they aren't unsafe, but of course most things say that and some things definitely are *not* safe despite what they might claim. Or at least not all the time. So I don't know...I'm still torn.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I've never used one. I'd rather just use two blankets than trying to sleep peacefully under one. Not to mention, more often than not, I'm kicking off the covers or cracking open a window in my apartment because it always get really hot in the early hours of the winter morns.

8. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I like the feel of a heavy blanket on me. I'll also admit that I am terrified of an electric blanket catching fire. I have never tried one, but it's a bit chilly here tonight and I have to admit it sounds enticing. Do your feet get tangled in the cord? I'm a sort of restless sleeper.

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have one and they are great for winters. I like to put it on my bed to warm up my sheets then I unplug it and store it on the side of my bed while sleeping. I NEVER sleep with one on me. I am too scared that I will either get burned or I will burn my house down.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's funny you mention the issues with living near power lines, because I was just talking about that with a friend of mine. There is a house down the street from my parents house, in which three separate families have lived since it was built in 1968, and the house is right by power lines - those big metal towers. Out of all three families that lived there, someone from each has family committed suicide and two people from two of the families has died of cancer at a relatively young age

Not to get off subject but I always wondered if there was some correlation between how close they lived to those lines.