When watching TV or Movies, what's your favorite snack/treat to eat?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by prettycolors • Oct 23, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    A while ago I was looking for inexpensive stuff that lasts a while to eat over the course of a movie or tv show. I first tried sunflower seeds but dropped them fast since my teeth could not handle those quantities :p So I tried making popcorn from popping corn seeds. Success, I fell in love! I don't like the microwave kind (too many additives/artificial flavors) so I just buy seeds that I cook in a simple frying pan. Once you get the hang of it it's easy and fast.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an air popcorn maker that I paid $16 for on Amazon. For $1.88 worth of Great Value popping corn kernels, you can have popcorn for a month.
    Making popcorn from a jar of popping corn is insanely cheap and definitely tastes better than the microwave stuff.
    You only need one small 1/2 cup of kernels to make a huge mixing bowl of popcorn.

If people realized that for $1.88 you can have a month of popcorn and they started buying air poppers, the popcorn companies would probably start raising their prices.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like pizza or chips while watching a movie or nuts. If I have time I make a bowl of fries or onion rings and dip them in mayonnaise or ketchup which isn't too expensive. It depends it you are sharing or eating alone. Noisy snacks are not good for sharing, at least if I'm alone I can control the noise!

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I like the Orville Redenbacher smart pop kettle corn, that's my personal favorite snack right now, TV or otherwise, I just love it. It doesn't have that many calories either, 260 per bag is not bad at all.

5. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Huh, that does seem like a smart investment, I might look into it.
    What do you add to the popcorn afterwards? Just drop some salt or sugar on top?

6. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I like eating trail mix or chips. I try to stick to trail mix because it's a bit healthier. I can go through half a bag of chips without batting an eye :) I try not to eat while watching tv because of this. If I want to be healthy I'll go for some veggies and hummus or something.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I really love potato chips. The plain, salted ones. :)

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to watch something whilst I eat. I don't like to eat anything if I am not watching something at the same time. i kind of feel like the food is a waste if I don't? Lol. Not sure why. But my snacks range from a full dinner, to microwave dinners, to snacks like popcorn, Reeses chocolate cups, bars, and even the white chocolate ones. I love Reeses lol. I am also a fan of gummy sweets, like teddy bears and smurfs. Love to eat whilst watching something good.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    This is one of my downfalls, I have a tendency to keep making little sandwiches, which of course I have to include a side of chips with and some dill pickle spears. I'm more or less eating lunch several more times during the few hours I am sitting on the couch. I will go through almost an entire pound of lunch meat in a day if I am not careful to stop myself.

Another favorite is leftover (or fresh, if I am in the mood to call in for some) Chinese Food. When I lived in an apartment building that was right by a Chinese takeout joint, I would order from them all the time on a whim, just little appetizers to snack on while I am watching my movies, such as the beef on skewers, or some crab rangoons, bbq pork, etc...

I do love popcorn, but for some reason, I always get a shell or two stuck in my gums and I cannot get it out for days, and it becomes more and more irritated. I miss our air popper that we had in the 80's, and I wouldn't mind getting another one of those sometime soon. I had the Cuisinart popcorn maker, which was great too, but the non-stick wore off on it so we had to chuck it. You do know though that you can make pop corn in your microwave simply by putting some kernels in a brown paper bag and curling it up to seal it, don't you?

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Hmmm. Sounds good. In fact you are making me very hungry lol. I have some money in my purse and I have had no food as of yet today. I am not considering going to the shop and blowing some money on some junk, so thanks for that lol. Many people get those annoying kernels stuck in their gums, and sometimes it doesn't matter how you brush your teeth - they only come out and dislodge themselves when they are ready to lol. But sometimes the tasty popcorn is worth the discomfort. The trick is to eat them carefully.

11. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    Great question, I love to eat mini pizza and chocolate when I'm watching a movie. There are so many great and inexpensive options for movie snacks depending on what you like and how much you like to eat. Chips and power bars are another option if you want to have a light snack. Also pretzels and dip if you like that sort of thing. Popcorn is a classic movie treat that never gets old and popping it yourself is always a fun option especially if you have children, it's a fun family activity before you watch the movie.

12. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I like popcorn on occasion but most of the time I end up eating edamame, sunflower seeds or this time of year in particular I'll prepare pumpkin seeds a few different ways/flavors and just have a bunch of them :). So many tasty options and not junky at all.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like to eat when I'm watching TV. It's too distracting for me. I can also see myself eating when I'm not really hungry. That's a big issue for me. I usually drink water, ice tea or a chai tea in the evenings. The only times I eat while watching TV is if it's dinner time.

14. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, same here. I just recently bought a six pack of that popcorn on Friday. It's so munch-worthy and light and tasteful to eat, but the only problem with popcorn in general is that it gets all up in your teeth afterwards and it's so annoying. So because of that, most of the time I'll simply enjoy putting down some Lays potato chips.

15. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I like to eat granola bars, nachos, beef jerky, or dried fruits when I watch movies. I don't like popcorn, because it gets stuck in my teeth a lot, which annoys me. Otherwise I drink water and concentrate watching the movie, because a lot of food in my stomach makes me fall asleep, which will cause me to miss out what I'm watching.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have actually come to see eating and watching a movie or a TV show as a legitimate skill. No, seriously, some people just cannot do it withut missing important parts of the movie. I mean, we all go through the crunching of whatever we are eating distorting our ability to hear, depending on the texture of what we are eating. But I can watch something and eat and not miss a single thing. I think this is because I have been watcing and watching for years lol.

17. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just wait to eat my dinner or lunch or something we a good TV show. I'll snack obviously at different times, but I try and not to do that too much because I won't keep track of how much of a snack I'll end up eating. A bag of chips can go really fast when watching a 40 minute TV show!

18. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to eat a variety of things when watching TV or movies. I don't really have a favorite that I can make a definite choice on. Even when we go to the movies, a lot of times we end up sneaking food into the theater so that's a array of things. When at at home, it's pretty much whatever is the fridge or whatever I decide to get from the fast food joint or cook for dinner. I can't remember the last time I actually ate popcorn at a movie theater.

19. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    Popcorn is getting old to be honest. I prefer to take some biscuits rather than any other fast food. Before you realize, you end up chugging a lot of food.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually just eat chips and soda when I watch a movie. I don't like foods that require a fork and spoon to eat unless I'm at home, because I won't be able to repeat the scene or dialogue that I missed.